Hello CB Community.
    Today, 07/05/2013, BlackBerry announced their death in Brasil.
    I was there, when they announced Z10 here, a 2 months delay and an astonishing price of 2,449 Brazilians Reals(THAT'S 1220,78 DOLARS!)
    BlackBerry really wan't to lost market, really, compared to the iPhone5 and Galaxy S4, this price is stupid, just stupid.
    The BRAND NEW Galaxy S4 is 2.200 BRL.
    The iPhone 5 is 2,398 BRL.
    @edit
    The Lumia 920 is 1,999 BRL here.
    Now tell me CrackBerrians... why someone would choose BlackBerry insted of the iPhone, Galaxy and the Nokia Lumia?
    I personally would choose BlackBerry, but WHY possible newcomers would do that choice?
    I'm not trowing shade here but the Z10 compared to both phones above, got a small processing capacity, an weaker camera(Honestly, that's the truth), also let's not forget the small amount of apps in the store.
    It's not me, but how did they expect good sells with that?
    Small apps catalog and weak hardware(compared to the others).
    Me, an fully BlackBerry fan, see no reason to buy the new Z10 here.
    richardat likes this.
    05-07-13 01:19 PM
    are you sure that will be the final price? We had many higher prices quoted in NA before release but once it did release the price was inline with everything else
    05-07-13 01:23 PM
    Lol @ overreaction by op

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 01:25 PM
    @pooger
    It's not an overreaction, it's the disappointment.

@howarmart
    Yes i'm sure.
    05-07-13 01:37 PM
    Just wait 2-3 months and the price will be reasonable OP.
    At least the good condition second hand price.
    05-07-13 02:03 PM
    @Nickstarmaster CMon man! The price is exactly the price of the high end smartphones such as iPhone, S4 and others! Dont understand why you overreacted like this! The price on the operator is very different! Around 1600BR. Try to talk to Claro Brazil and you will see it. They are selling very well.

I'm from Brasil and BlackBerry is right! No need to lower price just to get costumers. The device and OS will conquer the market itself.

Check the Brazilian Community BerrySocialBr and you will get more information about BlackBerry in Brasil!
    diegonei and R Field like this.
    05-24-13 02:06 PM
    OP has a reason to overreact, BB should be far from trying to price their phones so high but then again, they're trying to create that "premium" image out there so...
    richardat likes this.
    05-24-13 02:08 PM
    BB should have learned from the PB fiasco...

It would be a smart move to price like 100$ below the competition...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    05-24-13 02:14 PM
    think i gotta take a trip down to brazil with a few z10s, btw why not buy unlocked off ebay?
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    05-24-13 03:04 PM
    think i gotta take a trip down to brazil with a few z10s, btw why not buy unlocked off ebay?
    Now, that's a good idea!!
    05-24-13 03:43 PM
    Unfortunately customs X rays your luggage after you pick them up at the baggage claim area at the airport, and they love to hit you with duty on electronics. That being said, the total price would still be lower... and you'd be in Brazil!

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 08:14 PM
    OP, ask your president why the price is so high. Brazil's tax code is so ridiculous its made it difficult for companies, both foreign and domestic, to offer fair prices on products especially electronics. Last time I was there I was amazed that someone actually paid $3,500 USD ($6,900 BRL) for a retina MacBook Pro, which is base price. Thts ridiculous. When Brazil first got the iPhone 4, it was the most expensive iPhone anywhere! I can't fault BlackBerry for setting that price, they need to turn a profit somehow.
    05-24-13 10:11 PM
    OP, ask your president why the price is so high. Brazil's tax code is so ridiculous its made it difficult for companies, both foreign and domestic, to offer fair prices on products especially electronics. Last time I was there I was amazed that someone actually paid $3,500 USD ($6,900 BRL) for a retina MacBook Pro, which is base price. Thts ridiculous. When Brazil first got the iPhone 4, it was the most expensive iPhone anywhere! I can't fault BlackBerry for setting that price, they need to turn a profit somehow.
    sad but true!
    06-04-13 06:40 AM
    I can understand your point. We are in july and the official sellers (brightstar) of BlackBerry Z10 are selling it for R$2.399,00 around $1,100.00. It is necessary to emphasize that Z10 is the only gadget from BB10 family being sold in Brazil. People here are hungry for the Q10 and Q5 and no news at sight. The official technical center of BlackBerry in Brazil seems it closed, if you call their 0800 your call will be redirect to BB international support center.

I contacted the market agency in Brazil responsible for blackberry brand and they told me that they finished the job with blackberry. Thats why the market agency stopped sending articles to newspaper, blogs, etc. If you look the official twitter and facebook account of blackberrry their last interaction was in may. This month they posted something but very nonsense, a stock market app. It seems BB is in last days in Brazil. The story about playbook and BB10 here in Brazil caused a very negative effect either just because they were selling it for R$400,00 around $200.00 a reasonable price and a lot of people bought and now they are in a void without updates and they do not know what to do. In my opinion, until now, is that blackberry is going enterprise in Brazil that's my feeling, if they want to succeed I confess they are in the wrong way. If you type the keywords “Reclame Aqui BlackBerry” in Google, you will see how many people are complaining about BlackBerry device, in my blog is being hard to give the same answers to the same complaints everyday.
    diegonei and Nickstarmaster like this.
    07-16-13 11:40 PM
    are you sure that will be the final price? We had many higher prices quoted in NA before release but once it did release the price was inline with everything else
    Pretty darn sure....

Disappointed with BlackBerry in Brasil-img_00000117.jpg

It would also seem to me that Claro is the ONLY carrier bothering with displaying the Z10 anywhere...

Lol, you think? BlackBerry just doesn't get it when it comes to Brasil. And I am done trying to get hired by them.

I'm from Brasil and BlackBerry is right! No need to lower price just to get costumers. The device and OS will conquer the market itself.

Check the Brazilian Community BerrySocialBr and you will get more information about BlackBerry in Brasil!
    Lol. You here bro? How's that 8700?

I'll tell you why. I'll tell you how I got my Z10.

I had a very good friend of mine buy one in the UK (and then, the UK was the only place where you could get on, so it's pretty much like buying from eBay).

I transfered the money so she could buy the device. The money for shipping. Then after 30 days, I had to pay 60% of the device's value to customs. Ouch much?

Ended up paying the same I would have in a store (PRO was I got one 3 weeks after launch in the UK. ^^)

So no... Unless you can do what DSL9700 suggested (if they are not in a box, they can't do anything) there is no point. Just go to Claro and buy one, or hit TIM's site for a Z10.
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-17-13 at 08:01 PM.
    Nickstarmaster likes this.
    07-17-13 07:41 PM
    BlackBerry is expensive in Brazil, the price in this picture is in a contract plan of 1 year, paying more than 300 per month. If you cancel the contract, you need to pay the a 'fine' that is the rest of the price of the phone... that costs in pay as you go about 2400.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:07 AM
    I got reports of Z10s available in VIVO stores.

And to be fair, even on a 60 minutes contract, most top VIVO phones go at around R$1700 (brace yourself.... ~$850). I'd expect the Z10 to follow suit. I'll check this weekend if they have it here and report.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-05-13 at 07:34 PM.
    08-05-13 02:11 PM
    Perhaps BlackBerry sorted out that price because it's reasonable. I mean, they want customers to clearly understand this BB10 is not made just to retake smartphone lovers attention over other devices like Samsung and iPhone. People will then want to know what the speciality on this BB10 phones which priced that way and tend to buy one. After they got one, they'll then realize how amazing the BB10 are. Well, the lack of apps still being FUBAR but it doesn't really matter because we can sideload those apps.
    08-05-13 02:59 PM
    Perhaps BlackBerry sorted out that price because it's reasonable. I mean, they want customers to clearly understand this BB10 is not made just to retake smartphone lovers attention over other devices like Samsung and iPhone. People will then want to know what the speciality on this BB10 phones which priced that way and tend to buy one. After they got one, they'll then realize how amazing the BB10 are. Well, the lack of apps still being FUBAR but it doesn't really matter because we can sideload those apps.
    Sorry, that's all true, but completely off the point.

Brasil is a very competitive market when it comes to smartphones and it's a dog eat dog scenario. Apple is selling for the hipster/media hungry/show off types.

Samsung took the market by storm with the Grand Duos and the S2/3. LG and Motorola have a solid hold of the mid-range and entry level smartphone market share. Let's face it: Android is cheap.

BlackBerry has been dropped over and over by carriers and consumers because of a number of reasons. First and foremost, carriers (or BlackBerry, or both) have been pricing OS5/6/7 devices almost as high as iPhones. Then you add in slow OS, aging hardware, lack of apps and the fact that the geek comunity moved to Android and you have a very similar scenario as in the US. Only the faithful bother with BlackBerry.

One point of notice: Brasil is a pre-paid country. People usually carry two or three diferent SIM cards so they can swap to whatever carrier has the best deal (or the most bonus - minutes for same carrier calls - who cares if they spend twice what I do on a monthly plan? BONUS man!) The majority of android phones out there is not on a monthly plan. Nokia, LG, Samung... They all have dual-SIM phones here. And those ... sell like hell.

I'm glad they have the Z10 out. Now the Q10 is coming soon too. But with no Q5 (and whatever mid-range touchscreen they should have by now) to try and fight the millions of cheap android phones out there, I really question their strategy down here.

And yeah, we STILL DON'T HAVE BLOODY ADS. Samsung and Nokia have plenty of TV time.
    08-05-13 07:28 PM
    Let the market adjust and teach BlackBerry something about pricing. They recently had to drop prices in USA due to inventory build-up, exactly because of the weak demand. I am surprised that they have not learn to not kill the momentum by pricing the device too high. Maybe it'll take another round of management layoffs before BlackBerry's management group will understand that what they're doing is not working.
    08-05-13 08:30 PM
    Q10 580 at launch in UK. Couple of months later, you can get a new one for 350-400 on Ebay here.
    The market will set a fair price, 300-350 quid or so seems fair for the device at present.
    Shame BlackBerry didn't price this device properly, it would have sold more than it has.
    08-06-13 06:11 AM