Hi , i have an 8330 and in the idle screen i see a little crosshair with some waves to the right, i suppose thats GPS, is there a way to turn it off like to save batt life? THNX!
    08-04-08 05:19 PM
    Hi , i have an 8330 and in the idle screen i see a little crosshair with some waves to the right, i suppose thats GPS, is there a way to turn it off like to save batt life? THNX!
    That icon indicates your GPS is operating with Location Based Services turned On. You can increase the battery life at least slightly by going to Options/Advanced Options/GPS and setting GPS Services to "911 Only." That is as "off" as you can get it. You cannot completely disable the GPS, short of turning off your device.
    08-04-08 08:07 PM
    ohh thanks, ive checked the GPS services and it has two options: Location ON and Location OFF, im using off now and the waves disappeared but the crosshair is still there,,,i think thats the best i can lower it i guess,,, thanks!
    08-04-08 08:23 PM
    Yes, your "Location OFF" corresponds to my "911 Only." That's as "OFF" as you can get.

Welcome to the forums! For good, general information, be sure to check out the Getting Started Guide and the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series under the Newbies tab at the top of the page.
    08-04-08 08:38 PM
    Ahhhhh......big Bro is always watching!!!
    08-05-08 01:41 PM
    Ahhhhh......big Bro is always watching!!!
    And with GPS 911 locater on, Big Bro can find me if I'm getting my little bro tail kicked and dial 911!
    08-05-08 01:55 PM
    Precisely why I leave it checked.
    08-05-08 06:27 PM
    Oh how I would love to have this problem with my Verizon Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 10:38 PM
    What problem is that?
    08-06-08 11:09 AM
    ^^I was referring to the "problem" of having the Verizon Curve's Internal GPS put my location on the various mapping programs out there. I don't have that problem because Verizon blocks my Curve's GPS from doing anything with third party programs.
    Last edited by teylini; 08-06-08 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
    08-06-08 12:01 PM
    Riiiiggghhttt. That problem.
    08-06-08 03:40 PM
    Does anyone know if my location can be identified with tracking software (by someone other than the police and the service provider (in my case it is Verizon)) if my 8830 is set to "911 Only?" I think my soon-to-be ex might be tracking my location even though my phone is set to 911 Only...
    09-03-08 01:16 PM
    Verizon has a service they market to parents that allows parents to track a child's phone. You should be able to verify with Verizon that that software is or is not running on your phone, and get it removed if it is. I suspect that setting your GPS to 911 only defeats the software, but for your peace of mind, you should check.

If you're really worried, consider that it is easy for anyone to buy the cheapest phone available, pay for the tracking service, and put the phone in your car if he/she has access to it. It only works until the battery runs out, of course, but that might be enough to get you in trouble, depending on what's going on...
    09-03-08 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD