As silly a question as this may sound I am looking for a way to password protect or restrict acess to my web browser ONLY. I do not want the ability to have/ give others that access. I use my BB exclusively for e-mails and do not want to use the browser feature. Any advice on where to look for such third party software would be helpful as it appears that it can not be done on the device itself (without messing with the "books" on the system), would be appreciated.
    08-10-08 10:30 PM
    You can probably just delete it from your applications in setup...or just hide it. Not sure though...you may want to do a search of the forum.
    08-10-08 10:32 PM
    I don't know about Verizon, but on AT&T you can set up controls via the carrier that will disable features such as web browsing. You may want to look into that.

That said, the best suggestion I can make is to password protect your device and not let others use it unsupervised.
    08-11-08 01:44 AM
    If it's a blackberry newbie...just hide the icon.
    If it's someone who knows their way around a berry...delete the app.

If you're this worried...they probably shouldn't be handling your berry anyway.

Dm
    08-11-08 09:30 AM
    I'd like to know if there is a way to remove the browser other than hiding it. I got my boyfriend a curve and he is a technophobe, he doesn't want the browser on it [before you ask whats wrong with hiding it, he's one of those types that clicks anywhere, opens up all sorts of things and has no idea what he is doing]. I checked mine on the desktop manager and the browser box app is ticked and greyed out so you can't unselect it to remove it. If I delete it from the applications list on the phone itself, will this affect anything else?
    Last edited by kitcat72; 08-26-08 at 06:11 AM.
    08-26-08 05:38 AM
    I'd like to know if there is a way to remove the browser other than hiding it. I got my boyfriend a curve and he is a technophobe, he doesn't want the browser on it [before you ask whats wrong with hiding it, he's one of those types that clicks anywhere, opens up all sorts of things and has no idea what he is doing]. I checked mine on the desktop manager and the browser box app is ticked and greyed out so you can't unselect it to remove it. If I delete it from the applications list on the phone itself, will this affect anything else?
    Deleting the browser from the applications list is not an option, at least not in 4.2.2.196. I suspect that's for the same reason that it's greyed out in the App Loader. The browser is an integral part of the OS.

I don't understand your boyfriend's concern. If he's a technophobe, just tell him to stop clicking the icon. It's that simple.
    08-26-08 07:53 AM
    Deleting the browser from the applications list is not an option, at least not in 4.2.2.196. I suspect that's for the same reason that it's greyed out in the App Loader. The browser is an integral part of the OS.

I don't understand your boyfriend's concern. If he's a technophobe, just tell him to stop clicking the icon. It's that simple.
    Lol I wish it was that simple...thats like telling a little kid not to do something...he doesn't have a clue and just clicks away oblivious to what he is doing [don't get me started - he follows the same line of thinking in just about everything he does] even if he doesn't understand or doesn't care to.
    08-28-08 02:51 AM
    I bought my crackberry for work reasons, but I am struggling with my addiction to surfing the net on non work related issues. Anytime I have a free moment with time to kill, I fall into the trap of browsing my favorite sites, getting caught up in a cycle where I kill a half hour and have trouble getting back to work. I don't want to dump it and go back to a nonbrowser phone, so I'm trying to find a way to block everything but necessary sites, or disable the browser.

I tried deleted the service map, but that didn't work. I tried disabling it's network access but that didn't work. Anyone have any ideas?
    10-20-08 03:46 PM
    Lol I wish it was that simple...thats like telling a little kid not to do something...he doesn't have a clue and just clicks away oblivious to what he is doing [don't get me started - he follows the same line of thinking in just about everything he does] even if he doesn't understand or doesn't care to.

I'm still confused - what harm can he do by loading the browser? It's a web browser, like the one on any computer.
    10-20-08 03:52 PM
    As Jeff mentioned, it is not an option you can delete from either the device or Applications Loader.

If you check Options / Advanced Options / Browser / View Properties, you can see the individual modules that make build Browser.

I suspect if you use the remove COD file technique on:

net_rim_browser_lib and ..._rendering_lib, that will prevent Browser from installing or leave it non-functional.

I can't predict what else may be affected, but it is closely tied to the Media player.
    10-20-08 03:54 PM
    As Jeff mentioned, it is not an option you can delete from either the device or Applications Loader.

If you check Options / Advanced Options / Browser / View Properties, you can see the individual modules that make build Browser.

net_rim_browser_lib and ..._rendering_lib, that will prevent Browser from installing or leave it non-functional.

I can't predict what else may be affected, but it is closely tied to the Media player.
    10-20-08 03:54 PM
    I am the only person that handles my berry that knows anything about them so i just hide the apps i don't want someone messing with if they are going to be handling my device. As for disabling the browser...why would you want to? If it is interfering with work or other aspects of your life, then learn self control.
    10-20-08 04:15 PM
  13. FightingCrackberryAddiction's Avatar
    As for disabling the browser...why would you want to? If it is interfering with work or other aspects of your life, then learn self control.
    Are you offering to be my therapist? If you don't have anything constructive to offer why not just move along to somewhere your opinions are more welcome?
    10-20-08 04:38 PM
  14. FightingCrackberryAddiction's Avatar

Thanks for your help. What is the remove COD file technique?
    10-20-08 04:53 PM
    I am new to the BlackBerry Curve and was wondering if there is a way to put a password on the browser, I have young sibling that like to play on my phone but I don't want them to be able to hit the browser and play around online on my phone. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!
    10-22-08 10:45 AM
    You can't password protect just the browser. You can password protect the entire device. However, this is not a good suggestion for you, because entering the password incorrectly 10 times will result in your device being wiped clean of personal data. You can be sure that's what will happen if your siblings get their hands on your device and you're not around to stop them. The best thing I can tell you is to keep control of your BlackBerry at all times.
    10-22-08 10:59 AM
    Thanks for your help. What is the remove COD file technique?

COD files are modules used to build the device software.

The technique for customizing your device are documented here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    10-22-08 11:43 AM
    My siblings/ children I look after touch my Blackberry and they get put in time out- period. They have their own toys, touch mine and you'll be sorry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 10:49 PM
    Install the Advanced Device Locks Application (currently $7). The you can select any applications (including the browser) that you want to password protect. Or have a friend set it up if you are fighting "browser addiction". Nice app. Works well.
    10-15-11 11:18 PM
    AFBB makes a free program called "AppsLock" it is simple and easy to use and allows you to password protect any native or third party app.

You can get it at Blackberry app world.
    10-16-11 11:20 AM
    I am new to the BlackBerry Curve and was wondering if there is a way to put a password on the browser, I have young sibling that like to play on my phone but I don't want them to be able to hit the browser and play around online on my phone. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!
    Yes, you can use password locking applications such as EveryLock.
    10-16-11 11:36 AM
    Delete the app via DM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD