Hi all,

not sure if this is repeated... is it possible to just activate wifi alone ?
    with mobile edge disabled? (I have a att limited blackberry data plan...thats why )
    08-03-10 07:25 PM
    I think if you go to the mobile network option, you can turn DATA SERVICES = OFF
    08-03-10 07:31 PM
    hi.. thks for replying..
    I did try it... but wifi is also getting disabled along with edge..
    08-03-10 07:34 PM
    Does your phone require to set APN inorder to get EDGE?

If so, maybe you want to disable that when you feel data is max out.

How much MB or GB is your plan?
    08-03-10 07:38 PM
    I mean.. wifi says connected but kinda greyed out..
    and I am not able to use web browser, app store , etc..
    Pls help !!!!!
    08-03-10 07:39 PM
    mine is 200mb plan... yes it has att apn settings
    08-03-10 07:40 PM
    I am not sure how your AT&T? works but in some countries, they need to set the APN as enabled to get EDGE for BIS. If you disabled it, you will get edge which BIS won't work.

All the apps in your phone, by default will try to use WIFI as 1st priority for connection. If you have 3rd party apps, just set them to use WIFI.
    08-03-10 07:46 PM
    I have disabled APN settings...
    and now i enabled Data services in "Manage connections"
    now it says EDGE... and all apps are working..
    does it mean i m using wifi?
    08-03-10 07:51 PM
    Nah, its still using BIS.

EDGE = BIS
    edge = non-BIS

So your mobile operators doesn't require APN to get BIS data. It probably auto push down all the service book and HRT etc.

Maybe I give u a scenario on how you know if WIFI is being use?

If you see a bright white/black WIFI icon, that mean WIFI is connected.

By default, all RIM apps will use WIFI as 1st priority connection. e.g. WLM, BB Browser, Facebook, appsworld etc

For all 3rd party apps. e.g. BeWeather, Opera, Bolt etc you will have to check the individual apps settings to ensure they have WIFI as a data connection option.

e.g. Example connection are..
    1. WIFI
    2. BIS
    3. BES
    4. Direct TCP/IP (this is using APN)
    5. Wap

So if you happen to have a 3rd party apps installed, you may wish to uncheck all the other data connection leaving only WIFI or select only WIFI as connection.

If you are out of WIFI range or network, try use the bb apps switcher check what are the apps running in the background. especially 3rd party apps like IM+, Nimbuzz etc. These apps usually can use both BIS and WIFI and once you are out of the WIFI range, they will switch to BIS connection.
    08-03-10 08:02 PM
    thanks a lot...I will investigate these and reply back...
    thks again for your time
    08-03-10 08:07 PM
    Had the same issue - am traveling with International Roaming, and wanted to keep data (EDGE/GPRS/3G) services OFF, as these can be $$.

Can you do WiFi only, and disable data services ?? Presumably BIS/BES can work with this.

Thanks !!
    08-10-10 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD