I'm curious, what is the difference between say, an unlocked Bold vs. a Verizon 9630 in using oversees? I know for an unlocked Bold, you purchase a pre-paid sim card. Do you do the same with the 9630? Does "world edition" basically mean unlocked as well as the support for additional radio frequencies that aren't available on say the bold?
    03-06-09 09:09 AM
    I'm curious, what is the difference between say, an unlocked Bold vs. a Verizon 9630 in using oversees? I know for an unlocked Bold, you purchase a pre-paid sim card. Do you do the same with the 9630? Does "world edition" basically mean unlocked as well as the support for additional radio frequencies that aren't available on say the bold?
    You can get it unlocked and use any SIM you want (including other US/CAN SIMs), or just use it with the CDMA's world agreement with generally Vodafone. When they say World Edition, they mean the BB has the CDMA radios & the GSM radios. All (most) GSM BBs are "world editions" as long as they are unlocked.
    03-06-09 09:32 AM
    You can get it unlocked and use any SIM you want (including other US/CAN SIMs), or just use it with the CDMA's world agreement with generally Vodafone. When they say World Edition, they mean the BB has the CDMA radios & the GSM radios. All (most) GSM BBs are "world editions" as long as they are unlocked.
    Good point, I forgot the whole world uses GSM. So both are pretty much the same except for the world edition has some CDMA radios right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 09:38 AM
    Good point, I forgot the whole world uses GSM. So both are pretty much the same except for the world edition has some CDMA radios right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Pretty much, except that World Phones will only operate at EDGE speeds, and not 3G in the US & Canada, they are only 3G in europe. So those trying to decide between an unlocked Bold or an Unlocked Niagara to use on say Tmobile, might be better off with the Bold, BUT both would work.
    03-06-09 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD