BB has better call quality than 90% of Android phones. I don't think iphone is as much of an issue. I had used 8 different top end Android phones and the only one that I had good call quality was the Thunderbolt. The Droid X was okay, and all of the rest had lousy call quality. I know it wasn't just me because I heard the same complaint from my gf, co-workers, and friends.

BB also had way better battery life. I was afraid to use my phone when I had my Androids. Using the phone for a prolong period could mean I am stranded without a phone later in the day, which did happen a few times.

BB is much easier and better (personal opinion) to message. That keyboard is a godsend and I will reply to any emails on it. I was great at typing on a virtual keyboard but there are so many problems that I had with it. First is that I do research. Guess how many scientific names and words are in the dictionary? Second, no matter how good you are at typing on a virtual keyboard, you're bound to accidentally hit the wrong key. It's usually fine, because it either autocorrects or shows that you have a typo. However, sometimes your typo is actually another word. This is worst as you have to read through the entire message to make sure there isn't this kind of mistake. Because I never know if I made this typo or not, I always have to proofread every single email and some messages before sending. I did get to the point where I could type without looking at the keyboard but I still see a lot more errors on a touch screen keyboard than the bb keyboard.

BB has LED notification that you can customize. I can look over, see the LED color and know what I just received. Be it a personal email, business email, text, bbm, or whatever other notification. This is useful as sometimes I am busy doing work, but I always know if a message can wait or not without having to unlock my phone. With almost every Android phone I had (except the Droid X), all of the phones either had no LED or only a single color LED notification. I had to check my phone every time I got a notification. And since that phone was so great at multimedia, I was getting fb, twitter, text, spam mail, personal emails, and business emails but I could never distinguish it without having to unlock my phone. Yes, there are alternatives like noled but that killed my battery even more.

Touchscreen phones also had a higher rate of face hang up (not from me but my gf always did it to me and then she had to call me back).

BB has much faster dialing. I go to home screen and hold down a letter. Done. Back in Android, I had to push phone, then hold dow na number. Doesn't sound like much but seems to be 3-4x longer.

Editing, copying, and pasting is much easier on the BB. This is very useful in emails. Having a trackpad helps in editing a lot too.
    I appreciate your reply because you've actually used Android devices and you're not just spouting off stereotypes and misconceptions. I also like that you recognize that some of your complaints are personal opinions.

I agree with you about call quality. I loved my blackberry's call quality and how it automatically increased the volume when I entered an area with background noise.

Android battery life is getting better, and it doesn't surprise me that this is one of your complaints since you mentioned you had used the Thunderbolt and Droid X. Battery life does seem to be device-specific. My Sensation was a total battery sipper, while my Amaze (until a recent OTA update that fixed the issue) was a total battery hog.

I disagree somewhat about bb being easier to message. No, there's not the autocorrect issue on bb that there is on Android and iPhone, but to me it's more tedious to type on a bb keyboard vs a virtual one. I never liked how bb's never had a dedicated period or comma button. I also didn't like having to hit alt when typing in numbers. I love the stock HTC keyboard. To me, that's the best keyboard I've ever used. The placement of certain buttons is very intuitive.

My brother and sis in law just got their first smartphones over black friday. They got midrange Android phones. My sis in law was coming from a Samsung Comeback that had a landscape qwerty keyboard. My brother was coming from a T9 flip phone. I was expecting there to be a bit of a learning curve where there would be delays in receiving texts from them during text conversations, or texts filled with typos and autocorrects. So far, I haven't experienced either of those from them. HOWEVER, they do say that they use the voice-to-text feature sometimes, so apparently that's pretty accurate.

I do miss having the beacon of a LED that the bb has, and the ability to customize colors, for sure. Now, I set up different notification sounds for my most used/important messaging apps for indication of urgency when my phone sounds.

I've never had a face hang-up in the year and a half I've been using Android, spanning 4 different devices. Then again, I use less than 100 minutes each month. If you talk on the phone a lot more than that, then of course the odds are greater that you would experience more face hang ups than I have.

I disagree that editing/copying/pasting is easier on bb than on Android. However, I've been told that the method I'm used to is native to HTC phones and not all Android phones. On my phone I simply long press where I want to select the text and selection markers and copy/search/share options come up. I drag the markers to where I want to select and tap copy. Go to the text field where I want to paste, long press, select paste. Easy peasy. As far as editing, I've found that I'm very accurate when tapping where I want the cursor to go as long as my phone has a big screen. On the MyTouch 4G that had a 3.8 in screen I found myself using the trackpad more than tapping the screen to place the cursor. On my Amaze with a 4.3 in screen I don't miss the trackpad at all.
    12-27-11 03:38 PM
    These are the essential differences:

BlackBerry - Useful, Practical, Secure
    iPhone - Fun, toy, ease of use
    Android - Essentially, Android is a poor mans iPhone.

To recap, BlackBerry and iPhone take different approaches to appealing to end users in different ways. BlackBerry is more practical, iPhone is more fun, and Android attempts to emulate the iPhone experience except it is cheaper.

Yes? No? U mad?
    The iToy comments are getting old.

I use my "toy" for business every day at work as well as my side job and helping out the ex with his work. I can do more on my iPhone thanks to apps than I ever could on my BB.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-27-11 03:43 PM
    BB has better call quality than 90% of Android phones. I don't think iphone is as much of an issue. I had used 8 different top end Android phones and the only one that I had good call quality was the Thunderbolt. The Droid X was okay, and all of the rest had lousy call quality. I know it wasn't just me because I heard the same complaint from my gf, co-workers, and friends.

BB also had way better battery life. I was afraid to use my phone when I had my Androids. Using the phone for a prolong period could mean I am stranded without a phone later in the day, which did happen a few times.

BB is much easier and better (personal opinion) to message. That keyboard is a godsend and I will reply to any emails on it. I was great at typing on a virtual keyboard but there are so many problems that I had with it. First is that I do research. Guess how many scientific names and words are in the dictionary? Second, no matter how good you are at typing on a virtual keyboard, you're bound to accidentally hit the wrong key. It's usually fine, because it either autocorrects or shows that you have a typo. However, sometimes your typo is actually another word. This is worst as you have to read through the entire message to make sure there isn't this kind of mistake. Because I never know if I made this typo or not, I always have to proofread every single email and some messages before sending. I did get to the point where I could type without looking at the keyboard but I still see a lot more errors on a touch screen keyboard than the bb keyboard.

BB has LED notification that you can customize. I can look over, see the LED color and know what I just received. Be it a personal email, business email, text, bbm, or whatever other notification. This is useful as sometimes I am busy doing work, but I always know if a message can wait or not without having to unlock my phone. With almost every Android phone I had (except the Droid X), all of the phones either had no LED or only a single color LED notification. I had to check my phone every time I got a notification. And since that phone was so great at multimedia, I was getting fb, twitter, text, spam mail, personal emails, and business emails but I could never distinguish it without having to unlock my phone. Yes, there are alternatives like noled but that killed my battery even more.

Touchscreen phones also had a higher rate of face hang up (not from me but my gf always did it to me and then she had to call me back).

BB has much faster dialing. I go to home screen and hold down a letter. Done. Back in Android, I had to push phone, then hold dow na number. Doesn't sound like much but seems to be 3-4x lting, copying, and pasting is much easier on the BB. This is very useful in emails. Having a trackpad helps in editing a lot too.
    I loved the LED notifications and I miss them on my Xperia. My Storm 2 had better call quality than my Curve 8330, but dialing people was a cinch on the Curve. Don't forget keyboard shortcuts as well, those were very useful.

Stock android notifications are mediocre compared to Blackberry, but you can use apps to improve this. For example you can download a notification app that creates an on screen preview of messenge from important senders. You can also set different notification sounds for sms/mms/email etc. You can also download a widget lockscreen that allows to check messages without unlocking your phone.

Dialing on a keyboard Blackberry is faster than on any touchscreen phone. However, the Android phone stock application has a favorites tab that lists the people you call the most at the top. You can also set quick dial widgets on any of your home screens to call the wife/girlfriend, dad, mom, your best friend, etc with one press.

I actually type faster on a touch screen phone than on a keyboard phone, but I make a lot more mistakes on a touchscreen than I do on a keyboard. I use voice to text a lot and it works very well. Heck I just used it on this post.
    12-27-11 09:06 PM
    I mentioned this in another thread and never got an answer. Can someone please tell me what makes bb a "communication" device over Android phones and iPhones? Besides bbm, in what ways can they communicate that Android phones ans iPhones can't? Right now I have yahoo messenger, fb messenger, skype, gtalk, and aim running. I get my non-truncated emails pushed through Mail Droid. I can call and text. Again, besides bbm, what am I missing here??
    I have to partially agree with others on BBs being a communication device. The unified inbox where everything comes into one place, plus notifications, really cater to communications. Personally, I separated out SMS and BBM messages from my Messages folder on my Tour since I hated having everything melded together, but that's just me.

I find that I type faster on my SGS than I did on my Tour. Yes, the Bold-style keyboard is great, but at the end of the day, the tips of my thumbs hurt. Between Swype and SwiftKey's text prediction, I have become quite proficient in typing on glass. My fingers no longer hurt.

When I first switched to the SGS, I missed the notification LED. I actually loaded up the NoLED app so that I would have notifications displayed on the screen (nice app with lots of different color notifications). After a couple of months, I stopped using NoLED. Not because it wasn't a good program (it is good), but because I felt free of notifications. I began to realize I was a slave to the notification light on my BB. Whenever the LED lit up, I felt like I had to check it right then and there. That little LED was quite addicting. NoLED was a good replacement because I could just look at the screen and see if I had messages. Anything with a red or yellow dot was something important, while items with a green or blue dot didn't need to be checked right away. When I uninstalled NoLED, I felt liberated. I can check notifications on my own time, not just because there is a beacon I can't get away from.

About the only thing I miss from my BB is BBM Groups. I belonged to several groups, and I loved chatting with everyone. I still chat with a lot of people via Kik, LiveProfile, XMS, Touch (Ping Chat), Google Talk, FB Chat, and G+ Messenger, so there have definitely been ways around not having BBM. I just haven't found anything that fully replaces BBM Groups.
    01-06-12 04:11 PM
    This is not going to end well.
    @OP, Try Quickoffice on Android and tell me its not useful.
    And Android is hardly a poor man's iPhone. Its a very good device.
    Agreed. In fact, the iPhone pales in comparison to the productivity of the Android product (Galaxy SII, especially).

I've had both. Sold my Galaxy SII to go to the new iPhone 4S and it is going away today for the more productve (and better battery life) Epic Touch again. Better screen, lighter weight, better battery life, you name it.

The iPhone is great for the simpleton, in my opinion. It's not really all that feature rich, nor is it as customizable as an Android, but it is more stable.

No need to discuss BlackBerry, this is CrackBerry after all. You guys and gals already know.
    01-06-12 04:38 PM
    I like my bb because i don't have 700 euros to buy an Iphone 4. I tell this with true sincerity. Also,i don't like the people who have iphone.They are snobs and boastful, we recognise them from kilometres away.

Sure that i will tell everybody that bb is the best,but i will know that bb is an old generation.

-----------
    PS: Yesterday i talked on skype with an iphone 4,it was gorgeos.The sound was perfect,i saw online my partner and me in the same frame(picture in picture),it was super.

On bb it doesn't exists skype (only for verizon i think), about picture in picture there is no point to talk !!!

Android it feels cheap for me,no offense.
    01-06-12 05:05 PM
    I like my bb because i don't have 700 euros to buy an Iphone 4. I tell this with true sincerity. Also,i don't like the people who have iphone.They are snobs and boastful, we recognise them from kilometres away.

Sure that i will tell everybody that bb is the best,but i will know that bb is an old generation.

-----------
    PS: Yesterday i talked on skype with an iphone 4,it was gorgeos.The sound was perfect,i saw online my partner and me in the same frame(picture in picture),it was super.

On bb it doesn't exists skype (only for verizon i think), about picture in picture there is no point to talk !!!

Android it feels cheap for me,no offense.
    Lol @ the things people come up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-04-12 11:50 AM
    How people can say android devices is a "poor mans" anything is beyond me. This considering every high end android device on the market, happens to be the most expensive and content rich devices available.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    02-04-12 12:07 PM
    The iToy comments are getting old.

I use my "toy" for business every day at work as well as my side job and helping out the ex with his work. I can do more on my iPhone thanks to apps than I ever could on my BB.
    I call it like I see it.

My wife wants me to get her a BB ONLY so she can keep in touch with everyone. She feels left out when I'm BBMing my 32 contacts I have and she's downloading the game of the week.
    02-04-12 12:49 PM
    How people can say android devices is a "poor mans" anything is beyond me. This considering every high end android device on the market, happens to be the most expensive and content rich devices available.
    The "poor man's" reference often has nothing to do with the "cost" of the product, and everything to do with an opinion that the "poor man's" version of something is lesser in some way than the item to which it is compared.

My wife wants me to get her a BB ONLY so she can keep in touch with everyone. She feels left out when I'm BBMing my 32 contacts I have and she's downloading the game of the week.
    Okay, but just make sure she doesn't get in the way of you BBMing your 32 contacts because, you know, that would be awful.
    02-04-12 01:21 PM
    Okay, but just make sure she doesn't get in the way of you BBMing your 32 contacts because, you know, that would be awful.
    Nope not at all. It gives me a chance to play a game or two. The best of both worlds I guess.
    02-04-12 01:32 PM
    It's mostly about style and workflow. It's not "what" these phones can do because we all can find a way to show they do pretty much everything.

Instead, it's "how" they do these things, and "how" they look based on person preference.

We are talking cars here. Everybody has a preference and we love ours and find things we dislike about others to validate our choices. But they all do basically the same thing.

It just for smart phones, BlackBerry are so far superior it is hard to compare.
    02-04-12 02:09 PM
    The "poor man's" reference often has nothing to do with the "cost" of the product, and everything to do with an opinion that the "poor man's" version of something is lesser in some way than the item to which it is compared.
    I don't know why you put cost in quotations, seeing as how my post didn't specify only towards that.

But in any case, the phrase is mostly incorrect in all senses of its intended analogies. Is it not?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    02-04-12 05:03 PM
88 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD