Apps are software!

A platform that has hundreds of thousands of apps will inevitably have many, many hhat you don't want, but it's more likely to have the few that you do want, especially if your app needs are a bit out of the ordinary.

For example, if you play the tin whistle and could use an app that will identify Irish Traditional tunes and show you the notes, you'll be out of luck on the BB, but iOS and Android have that app.
    12-24-11 03:53 PM
    You mean they are shortcuts to what you need to find.
    12-24-11 03:58 PM
    Nope. That's not what I mean.
    12-24-11 04:11 PM
    Aren't"apps"just shortcuts?we are arguing about who has the most shortcuts?lol.apple/droid have a lot of fart shortcuts,so that make them better than bb?
    BB has a lot of "fart shortcuts" also, so we can eliminate "fart" apps as an issue.

Search Results for "fart" - BlackBerry App World
    12-24-11 05:29 PM
    What the ****...?

Apps are software, not internet shortcuts or whatever.
    12-24-11 05:46 PM
    Apps as shortcuts? Classic confusion that comes about from using BB launchers.
    12-24-11 06:00 PM
    And preinstalled android bloatware, lol. One thing I love about wp7 and iOS is the lack of bloatware or the ability to easily uninstall literally 100% of it.

Apps are a huge deal. WP7 is feel is hurting a bit because of lack of apps. IOS has some good exclusives. My main issue with Android is that there is too much ad ware. Companies with paid versions on other platforms will release aware for Android and never put a paid ad free version up for sale. Angry Birds, for example.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    JBenn911 likes this.
    12-24-11 06:04 PM
    It's almost Christmas eh, can we all just get along=p
    12-24-11 06:08 PM
    And preinstalled android bloatware, lol. One thing I love about wp7 and iOS is the lack of bloatware or the ability to easily uninstall literally 100% of it.

Apps are a huge deal. WP7 is feel is hurting a bit because of lack of apps. IOS has some good exclusives. My main issue with Android is that there is too much ad ware. Companies with paid versions on other platforms will release aware for Android and never put a paid ad free version up for sale. Angry Birds, for example.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    one thing i love about my nexus....no bloatware!
    12-24-11 06:13 PM
    The espn launcher app is a shortcut to the mobile site.I have that and cnbc launcher that takes you directlt to their sites.
    12-24-11 08:11 PM
    The espn launcher app is a shortcut to the mobile site.I have that and cnbc launcher that takes you directlt to their sites.
    Those are shortcuts. We are talking about apps.

Apps ≠ shortcuts.
    12-24-11 08:19 PM
    one thing i love about my nexus....no bloatware!
    me too!

These discussions are so silly.
    12-24-11 08:22 PM
    If apps = shortcuts, then the number if apps would be moot, as both BBs and iOSs allow you to bookmark any web page to the home screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-11 10:05 PM
    These threads always seem to be started by people who have never used a different os.
    I would agree with this.
    People who are absorbed in self-admiration of BB are probably insecure, thinking that BBs are inferior products mostly due to recent (negative events). It is true that RIM and BB are probably on a declining trend, but that by itself did not affect my choice of equipment. I have the latest iteration of both BB and iPhone. I have long been in an Apple';s eco-system, but almost accidentally discovered the attraction (not quite an addiction yet :-) of BB. I like its compactness. I am not attracted to QWERTY at all but keyboard shortcuts are convenient. Its rather archaic menu system is sometimes (not always) more useful, utilitarian and functional as PIM.
    I believe the iPhone is overall superior to BBs, but I learned to use the BB for everyday use particularly when I am usually close to my iPad or laptop so that I can check out something on a larger screen. Otherwise, smartphone is sufficient for the management of my daily tasks. I even had made a conscious choice between 9900 and 9780 after thorough examinations and experimentations. After that, I am absolutely confident in ways I am using these phones and I enjoy it. If iPhone would make its PIM aspects somewhat more utilitarian and functional, then, it's going to be my ideal single device. I sometimes wish Apple to stop using childish tones and fonts, which contributes to the misguided image of iPhone being toy etc. People remember that awful font Apple used for their "Note" app. That was stupid. I have never used the Android stuff, so I have no opinion.
    12-25-11 04:37 PM
    I can't comment on IOS devices as I have never owned one. I used BBs for five years (still using my Tour as well) and an Android device for the past year. For the most part, both work well. Since I run my own business, I need devices that allow me to work no matter where I go. Some things that go into that decision include:

Email. Both do email quite well. One issue I had with my BlackBerry was truncated emails. I would get order forms from my website and unless a customer was ordering just one or two items, order forms would get truncated. On my SGS, I'm able to receive the entire message, so this made using an Android device more desirable. I hear they are increasing the email size limit, so this may not be as much of an issue. But when I added the SGS, it made a difference in my business.

Remote Access. I had RDM+ on my BB. This made it pretty easy to log onto my office computer over the internet and be able to process orders while on the road. The interface is very easy to use, and has the ability to transfer files. RDM+ is also on Android, and the larger screen makes it easier to view the office desktop. I think the BB interface is a little better, but they equal out each other for me.

Credit Card Processing. When I primarily used my BB, I had an app that linked into my merchant account. On Android, I found the same exact app and was able to process cards as well. The only (minor) issue was that I would have to hand-key transactions, which would mean higher transaction fees. I now use Square, which has a card swiper that connects to my SGS. Since switching to Sqaure, I was able to drop my merchant account add-ons, saving my business $40+ each month. Currently, they don't have a BB app. So, from looking at it from my business, it justified moving processing to an Android device.

Those are just a few of the things I do for running my business. In my situation, the current offerings lean more towards Android over using my BB. Pretty much everything is software related, so there could always be versions that would be developed for BB. For right now, Android is the better OS for using with my business. Two years ago, BB was. Next year, that answer might change again.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    dosto and concreteguy like this.
    12-25-11 04:47 PM

Those are just a few of the things I do for running my business. In my situation, the current offerings lean more towards Android over using my BB. Pretty much everything is software related, so there could always be versions that would be developed for BB. For right now, Android is the better OS for using with my business. Two years ago, BB was. Next year, that answer might change again.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    Some very good points. And begs an answer as to why the "business platform" is minus all that needed business full functionality. I had thought of looking into square as a way to deal with sales, if I possibly get into producing eBooks. But it won't work with my 9810? And I already know I miss some info on my emails that include graphics. I love the physical kb, the apps I do use are awesome, but it's missing some important capabilities.
    12-25-11 05:13 PM
    Email. Both do email quite well.
    Email used to be the domain of BB that was the only game in town in that regard, but no longer. BB and iPhone both push emails. The big difference is that iPhone delivers full email in clear and crisp fonts and that attachments open clearly and legibly. Absolutely no problem there. BB often struggles to open docs. Then, whey do I use BB? I use my BB almost as an "email reader" or "text reader" device. For my business, quick skimming of email is important and BB is easier to do so. Replying in short text is also easy. Contrary to what most long time BB users say, for composing longer messages, iPhone is so much faster and easier. I am so slow on qwerty. But that's just me, I am sure, or it's the matter of getting used to. I was certainly typing faster on 9900, but not by much.

There are a few irritations (unpolished?) in BB, such as pressing return key in texting actually send a message out (could I be wrong?), while in iPhone, it is an actual line change and send button is separate. Overall, iPhone is far more polished and well thought-out.

But as a "toss-around daily carry", which is the way I used my BB, I like the compact 9790. I dismissed 9900 mostly due to its size, and I might be a bit too sensitive to certain size. 9790 just fits into my palm, and does most of the things quickly. At 9900 size, most of my attraction to BB disappears.

I did not care much about RIM's effort to make their device thinner (and uglier) and I would not at all mind if 9790 had the same thickness with the 9780 (superb device) with 1500mah battery. I thought it was stupid to lose AF on camera and shave off the battery juice on 9900 just for the sake of thinness (tried to compete with Apple? :-).
    Thin 9790 is actually more comfy, but 9780 was easier to grasp.
    12-25-11 06:09 PM
    Hey Matt- when did you become a mod? I must have missed that........but Congrats!!!!!! I think they did a good job choosing you for one! Good luck.
    12-25-11 06:47 PM
    There are a few irritations (unpolished?) in BB, such as pressing return key in texting actually send a message out (could I be wrong?), while in iPhone, it is an actual line change and send button is separate. Overall, iPhone is far more polished and well thought-out.
    You use carriage returns in text messages?

And as for BBs, the use of carriage returns is so much rarer than sending that the enter key is set up as a shortcut to send. Seriously; try sending a text message without using the enter key. Even the iPhone ends up wasting a bit of space with a huge send button. you can add a carraige return by holding down the shift key though.
    Last edited by grahamf; 12-25-11 at 09:16 PM.
    12-25-11 09:12 PM
    I'm not sure Android devices are really getting a fair shake on this thread. When I went to upgrade this week the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket was a serious contender. Honestly, I stuck with the BB only because of the wicked awesome keypad (9900) and the bridge function on my Playbook-which has become a constant companion lately (this message typed on PB).
    12-25-11 10:40 PM
    You use carriage returns in text messages?

And as for BBs, the use of carriage returns is so much rarer than sending that the enter key is set up as a shortcut to send. Seriously; try sending a text message without using the enter key. Even the iPhone ends up wasting a bit of space with a huge send button. you can add a carraige return by holding down the shift key though.
    I actually completely agree with you.
    I no longer use text message like in old days. I am so used to "normal" word processing type composition, right or wrong, and texting without break does not seem right to me. I do not have this sense of "wasting space".
    In that regard, iPhone spoiled me

When I switched to BB, I kept pressing carriage return, inadvertently sending incomplete garbage messages. It's not a matter of right or wrong, but different strokes for different folks I guess. When I said "irritation", it was not really a criticism of BB. Just a different way of doing things confused me :-). It's only recently when I started using BB a bit more than iPhone and am getting used to doing things BB way.
    Lead_Express likes this.
    12-25-11 11:07 PM
    you can add a carraige return by holding down the shift key though.
    Thank you for this BTW. I always thought something like this easy would give me a carriage return in texting (much like in Excel), but got lazy and never bothered to explore.
    Hey, I always learn something here :-)
    12-25-11 11:12 PM
    I am so used to "normal" word processing type composition, right or wrong, and texting without break does not seem right to me. I do not have this sense of "wasting space".
    OMG, 3 rapid posts in succession!

Until very recently, I used to text in "R U OK?" type abbreviations and for quite a long time. This was the habit when there was the restriction on number of words in texting, otherwise, message was send divided. Now it's gone, and quite recently, I have read somewhere that "R U OK?" type sentences are no longer quite acceptable in certain situations (guess business?).

I do not think anybody established/created any rule in texting, but there may be some "socially acceptable" customary practice being established.

Just curious....
    12-25-11 11:20 PM
    These are the essential differences:

BlackBerry - Useful, Practical, Secure
    iPhone - Fun, toy, ease of use
    Android - Essentially, Android is a poor mans iPhone.

To recap, BlackBerry and iPhone take different approaches to appealing to end users in different ways. BlackBerry is more practical, iPhone is more fun, and Android attempts to emulate the iPhone experience except it is cheaper.

Yes? No? U mad?
    The Android is far from a poor man's iphone. First of all, android is not a phone, it is an OS. Secondly, there are Android phones that out spec an iphone in terms of screen size, screen resolution, processor power and other features, six ways to Sunday.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-26-11 at 01:14 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-26-11 01:09 AM
    i see it as
    apple- very good but pricey
    blackberry- very good but underrated
    android- very good but not that reliable
    12-26-11 01:23 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD