Android - Computer.
    Apple - Toy.
    Blackberry - Communication device.
    12-26-11 03:23 AM
    another toy reference lol it's almost 2012 ... Referring to an iPhone as a toy is ludicrous ... The 4S is the biggest selling smartphone of 2011, not to mention it broke sales records everywhere... Such as 1 million preorders in 24 hours and 4 million on launch weekend.... That's a lot of toys being sold
    12-26-11 04:04 AM
    OMG, 3 rapid posts in succession!

Until very recently, I used to text in "R U OK?" type abbreviations and for quite a long time. This was the habit when there was the restriction on number of words in texting, otherwise, message was send divided. Now it's gone, and quite recently, I have read somewhere that "R U OK?" type sentences are no longer quite acceptable in certain situations (guess business?).

I do not think anybody established/created any rule in texting, but there may be some "socially acceptable" customary practice being established.

Just curious....
    I think it depends on who you're texting. I shorthand very few things, such as:
    Whatcha for what are you or what do you
    Didja for did you
    k for okay
    doin for doing
    I think that's it.

Other than that, it drives me nuts when I get a text like r u as are you. My daughters and wife do that and I respond back with "text me back when you can spell out your words". As a high school coach, I used to get quite a few texts from teenagers that love the 1 letter for words and lack of punctuation. After a bit, they finally text me with whole words and complete sentences.
    xanadome likes this.
    12-26-11 12:31 PM
    another toy reference lol it's almost 2012 ... Referring to an iPhone as a toy is ludicrous ... The 4S is the biggest selling smartphone of 2011, not to mention it broke sales records everywhere... Such as 1 million preorders in 24 hours and 4 million on launch weekend.... That's a lot of toys being sold
    I think those that use the word toy are because they hear it referenced by others and/or they have very limited usage of devices. I loathe the Apple corp and would never buy an iPhone but I wouldn't call it a toy. In fact, I'd never call anything costing hundreds of dollars a toy. A toy indicates to me it's something to play with but no big deal if you toss it in the trash.
    12-26-11 12:38 PM
    I think those that use the word toy are because they hear it referenced by others and/or they have very limited usage of devices. I loathe the Apple corp and would never buy an iPhone but I wouldn't call it a toy. In fact, I'd never call anything costing hundreds of dollars a toy. A toy indicates to me it's something to play with but no big deal if you toss it in the trash.
    There's an old saying that says, "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."
    12-26-11 01:35 PM
    There's an old saying that says, "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."
    lol. I guess that's true.

My neighbors wife refers to everything her husband has as a toy. His truck, his motorcycle, his gaming systems, his guns, his ...

Wait. that's her toy hahahaha
    12-26-11 02:11 PM
    I think it depends on who you're texting. I shorthand very few things, such as:
    Whatcha for what are you or what do you
    Didja for did you
    k for okay
    doin for doing
    I think that's it.

Other than that, it drives me nuts when I get a text like r u as are you. My daughters and wife do that and I respond back with "text me back when you can spell out your words". As a high school coach, I used to get quite a few texts from teenagers that love the 1 letter for words and lack of punctuation. After a bit, they finally text me with whole words and complete sentences.
    I know that feeling. When I had the Pearl I was FORCED to spell it correctly, otherwise SureType would convert it to a completely different word. But I had found that a full qwerty makes typing so much easier than T9 (old phones), especially when you have access to autoconvert (like itss -> it's, itsa -> it's a, etc)
    12-26-11 04:07 PM
    These threads have beat the deadhorse a little to much. Honestly surprised this one hasn't been locked up.

Used every platform out there minus Windows and I am more pleased with my Android over any offering from BB or Apple. I owned many BB's and a 3G iPhone and my poor man iPhone gets the job done better than anything I have used.
    12-26-11 04:55 PM
    I agree.
    So, I continue to spell out "most of words" and with proper sentence breaks (returns :-).
    I do think that those internet specific abbreviations are "old school" habits when technologies & devices had certain limitations.
    Things like "LOL" became accepted symbols though (even though they originated in abbreviations).
    Some abbreviations express nuances better than spelled out words :-). There was a whole article about it (in a context of teenage culture :-).
    12-26-11 05:00 PM
    iPhone = a fun device
    android = a customizable device
    BB = a communication device

I find positive things about all three. The BB is the complete package for me - not perfect in all aspects but the winner overall. Different strokes for different folks.
    Guatiao and kraski like this.
    12-26-11 06:45 PM
    The way I see it;

BB- It's essentially an evolution from the text based 2-way pager days. That DNA still remains and has not really changed. BB jumped into market mostly as a competitor to Palm Pilot and other PDAs (HP etc). I remember Palm even had a basic push email capability. But a good qwerty keypads and BES/BIS made RIM ahead of competition, and nobody really bothered to challenge it for a long time. So, they dwelled on the laurel.

Apple - After Jobs was booted out by John Scully, he promoted the idea of PDA (personal digital assistant), and created "Newton". Jobs, when he was courted back in Apple, he scrapped it. It was not his idea of PDA. But Apple (or probably Jobs) had been warming the idea of mobile (handheld) device for a long time. The market (Apple fans) were screaming for it and asking Apple to give them something equivalent or better than Palm/HP. Jobs kept silent, and when he mentioned anything about handhelds, it's always negative. It is reminiscent to Apple's resistance to the market demand to come up with something like netbook and they resisted. They finally came up with the iPad, which created a brand new category.
    BB came from a "communication" device angle, while Apple's idea was always a true PDA. Two different DNAs. Addition of Siri might be reflecting its DNA. When iPod evolved into iPod Touch, Apple fans knew that it was a matter of time before Apple was going to launch a handheld PDA, and the iPhone was born. They essentially added a radio capability to iPod. iPod Touch was a PDA, no longer a music player.

Android - It is well known that Eric Schmidt (of Google) sat in the Apple Board almost as an ally against M$. Then, Jobs started noticing that Google might be getting into the phone business. He became very alarmed and courted Schmidt out of the Board chair. But Google already bought a small start-up, the Android venture. They implemented it quickly and successfully. So, it is probably true that Google stole the smartphone idea from Apple, hence Jobs reference to going "thermo-nuclear war" against Google.

So, I am not sure if RIM's strategy of emphasizing BB as "communication device" is a smart move, since iPhone is now much beyond it, becoming a true PDA, and will probably continue that trend.
    Anyone can put radio capability (3g or 4G or whatever) into a mobile device, but how to maximize its use (i.e., internet and others) would be the key.

If RIM's half-CEO like Jim B continues his typical defensive and sour-grape marketing comments such as BB10 will "leapfrog" the competitions, they have no hope. Mike L is an engineer who invented a 2-way paging system and BES/BIS. I am sure he understands the threat of iOS or Android better.

That's the way I see it ....
    six6xis likes this.
    12-26-11 07:17 PM
    ...I'm pretty sure Apple came out with the iPhone before the iPod touch...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-11 09:36 PM
    Not sure why everyone always talk about Apple's products like they created the entire sector. Tablets been around. They did not create a new category. They created a new device for an existing category. Funny you should talk about Google stealing from Apple since that's all Apple seems to do, well that or buying it out.

Anyways, my opinion...

Blackberry = Focused on core functions. (You can argue that browser and apps are core functions, but I don't think it is for a phone. For a tablet, definitely.)
    Android = Focused on multimedia with customization.
    Apple/iOS = Focused on ease of use, aesthetics, and reliability.
    12-26-11 10:01 PM
    Not sure why everyone always talk about Apple's products like they created the entire sector. Tablets been around. They did not create a new category. They created a new device for an existing category. Funny you should talk about Google stealing from Apple since that's all Apple seems to do, well that or buying it out.

Anyways, my opinion...

Blackberry = Focused on core functions. (You can argue that browser and apps are core functions, but I don't think it is for a phone. For a tablet, definitely.)
    Android = Focused on multimedia with customization.
    Apple/iOS = Focused on ease of use, aesthetics, and reliability.
    Apple didn't create the tablet by any means, but there's no arguing that they're responsible for the tablet trend. Before the iPad, most people didn't even know what tablets were.

The way I see it:

BlackBerry = Revolved around communication. Lacks in multimedia and 3rd party applications.

Apple iOS = Focused on all around user experience. Offers a little bit of everything through App World. Lacks in the ability to customize.

Android = Same idea as the iPhone with more emphasis on customization. A negative would be that carriers generally fill them up with useless bloatware and many suffer from a short battery life.
    12-26-11 10:42 PM
    Not sure why everyone always talk about Apple's products like they created the entire sector. Tablets been around. They did not create a new category.
    Tablet has been around for a long time. In fact, it is said that the first tablet was launched by M$ 10 years ago but it never caught on and fizzled out. Since then, the tablet was a joke. Nobody ever thought that anyone would be successful in resurrecting tablet category. Netbook was rampant.
    I am sure that Apple has been very aware of the history.
    The difference is that Apple did not launch the tablet hardware alone. It came with a useful ecosystem, apps, sync and all. Then, it was looked at almost as a whole new category of device, quickly killing netbooks. Nobody ever thought that this situation would happen so quickly. It only took Apple just 6 months to dominate the market.

I believe Apple's strength is their ability to look at the whole context, and what exactly consumers might want, or as they say, make consumers want their products. So was the iPhone.

For that, I admire them.

But I am not an Apple "fanboy". I spend my money wisely, and buy only what works for me. If BB works for me, I buy BBs. But since I have been using Apple products since Mac Plus era, I guess I was drawn into their eco system (like it or not) and so far, found many of their products more attractive and useful than other people might think. But I try not to be prejudiced or biased.
    12-26-11 11:36 PM
    Apple didn't create the tablet by any means, but there's no arguing that they're responsible for the tablet trend. Before the iPad, most people didn't even know what tablets were.

The way I see it:

BlackBerry = Revolved around communication. Lacks in multimedia and 3rd party applications.

Apple iOS = Focused on all around user experience. Offers a little bit of everything through App World. Lacks in the ability to customize.

Android = Same idea as the iPhone with more emphasis on customization. A negative would be that carriers generally fill them up with useless bloatware and many suffer from a short battery life.
    Tablet has been around for a long time. In fact, it is said that the first tablet was launched by M$ 10 years ago but it never caught on and fizzled out. Since then, the tablet was a joke. Nobody ever thought that anyone would be successful in resurrecting tablet category. Netbook was rampant.
    I am sure that Apple has been very aware of the history.
    The difference is that Apple did not launch the tablet hardware alone. It came with a useful ecosystem, apps, sync and all. Then, it was looked at almost as a whole new category of device, quickly killing netbooks. Nobody ever thought that this situation would happen so quickly. It only took Apple just 6 months to dominate the market.

I believe Apple's strength is their ability to look at the whole context, and what exactly consumers might want, or as they say, make consumers want their products. So was the iPhone.

For that, I admire them.

But I am not an Apple "fanboy". I spend my money wisely, and buy only what works for me. If BB works for me, I buy BBs. But since I have been using Apple products since Mac Plus era, I guess I was drawn into their eco system (like it or not) and so far, found many of their products more attractive and useful than other people might think. But I try not to be prejudiced or biased.
    Awesome concise valid points
    12-26-11 11:47 PM
    I'm not a fanboy to any brand. I just use what suits me for the time being. When I was in college it was Android. Now that I rely on my phone for a lot more, BB comes in more handy. Only problem I have is how Apple's fan base tends to believe that Apple invented every category they are in. All they did was take what is already available and make it better and market it even better than that. They run a great business and I like their products as a whole. They are pricier than competitors for the same specs though. And no, I'm not an Apple hater either. Had an ipod classic, ipod mini, ipod nano, ipod touch, macbook, and contemplated the iphone.
    drice01 likes this.
    12-27-11 03:22 AM
    iPhone = a fun device
    android = a customizable device
    BB = a communication device

I find positive things about all three. The BB is the complete package for me - not perfect in all aspects but the winner overall. Different strokes for different folks.
    Exactly. Nothing is perfect. But all three are far better than two cans and a string. <VBG> Each has shortcomings, but they also have their own strengths. If "one size fits all" were true, we'd all have the same phone, dress the same, talk the same, act the same. And be really bored all the time. Being different isn't always wrong.
    drice01 likes this.
    12-27-11 10:00 AM
    BlackBerrys are the smart buy. 90% of the things people do with their phones BlackBerrys do the best.

iPhones are nice devices that try to emulate BB integration and usefullness.

Androids have large screens and appeal to the more-is-more crowd.

That's what I've been trying to emphasize to my iphone chronies, blackberry bashing friends. Well said and nice to see others can view the trees through the forest.
    12-27-11 11:24 AM
    BlackBerrys are the smart buy. 90% of the things people do with their phones BlackBerrys do the best.

iPhones are nice devices that try to emulate BB integration and usefullness.

Androids have large screens and appeal to the more-is-more crowd.
    Nice opinion. Let's see some examples.
    12-27-11 11:45 AM
    Toys all of them.

Cultists and Fans alike, as soon as someone made a game for a smart phone it made them into toys.

Flames be d@mned! Outside of communicating, if you use your phone for playing a game it is then a toy. My Blackberry is a toy when I am not using to txt or email or check my plummeting stocks...

Only thing not a toy is well...a dumb phone with no games, but they are becoming endangered creatures.
    12-27-11 11:59 AM
    Toys all of them.

Cultists and Fans alike, as soon as someone made a game for a smart phone it made them into toys.

Flames be d@mned! Outside of communicating, if you use your phone for playing a game it is then a toy. My Blackberry is a toy when I am not using to txt or email or check my plummeting stocks...

Only thing not a toy is well...a dumb phone with no games, but they are becoming endangered creatures.
    By your logic: any product that can be used leisurely is a toy. Cars can be taken for a drive to view scenery. Computers can play games. does that make them nothing more than toys?

And in that case: ToysRus has a really lousy selection.
    12-27-11 01:15 PM
    I mentioned this in another thread and never got an answer. Can someone please tell me what makes bb a "communication" device over Android phones and iPhones? Besides bbm, in what ways can they communicate that Android phones ans iPhones can't? Right now I have yahoo messenger, fb messenger, skype, gtalk, and aim running. I get my non-truncated emails pushed through Mail Droid. I can call and text. Again, besides bbm, what am I missing here??
    12-27-11 01:47 PM
    By your logic: any product that can be used leisurely is a toy. Cars can be taken for a drive to view scenery. Computers can play games. does that make them nothing more than toys?

And in that case: ToysRus has a really lousy selection.
    Ah I didnt say nothing more then a toy, just was implying they are all toys at some point. Only the user of the device makes it into a toy or not.

ToysRus does have gift card for iTunes (sorry the easiest one to believe they have)...so you can get apps on all your iDevices...
    12-27-11 01:57 PM
    I mentioned this in another thread and never got an answer. Can someone please tell me what makes bb a "communication" device over Android phones and iPhones? Besides bbm, in what ways can they communicate that Android phones ans iPhones can't? Right now I have yahoo messenger, fb messenger, skype, gtalk, and aim running. I get my non-truncated emails pushed through Mail Droid. I can call and text. Again, besides bbm, what am I missing here??
    BB has better call quality than 90% of Android phones. I don't think iphone is as much of an issue. I had used 8 different top end Android phones and the only one that I had good call quality was the Thunderbolt. The Droid X was okay, and all of the rest had lousy call quality. I know it wasn't just me because I heard the same complaint from my gf, co-workers, and friends.

BB also had way better battery life. I was afraid to use my phone when I had my Androids. Using the phone for a prolong period could mean I am stranded without a phone later in the day, which did happen a few times.

BB is much easier and better (personal opinion) to message. That keyboard is a godsend and I will reply to any emails on it. I was great at typing on a virtual keyboard but there are so many problems that I had with it. First is that I do research. Guess how many scientific names and words are in the dictionary? Second, no matter how good you are at typing on a virtual keyboard, you're bound to accidentally hit the wrong key. It's usually fine, because it either autocorrects or shows that you have a typo. However, sometimes your typo is actually another word. This is worst as you have to read through the entire message to make sure there isn't this kind of mistake. Because I never know if I made this typo or not, I always have to proofread every single email and some messages before sending. I did get to the point where I could type without looking at the keyboard but I still see a lot more errors on a touch screen keyboard than the bb keyboard.

BB has LED notification that you can customize. I can look over, see the LED color and know what I just received. Be it a personal email, business email, text, bbm, or whatever other notification. This is useful as sometimes I am busy doing work, but I always know if a message can wait or not without having to unlock my phone. With almost every Android phone I had (except the Droid X), all of the phones either had no LED or only a single color LED notification. I had to check my phone every time I got a notification. And since that phone was so great at multimedia, I was getting fb, twitter, text, spam mail, personal emails, and business emails but I could never distinguish it without having to unlock my phone. Yes, there are alternatives like noled but that killed my battery even more.

Touchscreen phones also had a higher rate of face hang up (not from me but my gf always did it to me and then she had to call me back).

BB has much faster dialing. I go to home screen and hold down a letter. Done. Back in Android, I had to push phone, then hold dow na number. Doesn't sound like much but seems to be 3-4x longer.

Editing, copying, and pasting is much easier on the BB. This is very useful in emails. Having a trackpad helps in editing a lot too.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-27-11 02:08 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD