01-24-20 07:26 AM
36 12
tools
    Everyone here knows that the BlackBerry brand days are numbered with TCL. It is arguably the license agreement with BlackBerry limited that is not going that well. According to the latest rumors, TCL isn't happy with the requested fees that BlackBerry limited is asking for software updates and BlackBerry Secure, besides the brand and design patents' royalty fees. All these issues might finally push TCL to ditch the BlackBerry brand and count on its own brand and Alcatel for its future business.

BUT, what is happening with the Palm brand?

By the end of 2014, and as fas as I remember, TCL Electronics has paid over $1 million to HP to acquire the Palm brand, and they promised to establish a new distinct company and revive the legend brand. Four years later, TCL released a tiny phone under Palm name, which really no one cares about, and they no longer release any new phone for almost 16 months. They also didn't talk about this brand during the last CES/ January despite the fact that TCL could release many devices under the Palm brand instead of incurring licensing fees from Nokia (Alcatel) or BlackBerry Limited.

Is it another failed project or ambiguous business strategy?
    01-22-20 01:53 PM
    Pretty sure HP killed it and hurried it in their back yard

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    eshropshire and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-22-20 02:00 PM
    Pretty sure HP killed it and hurried it in their back yard

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    Yes, HP killed Palm and WebOS, no one could deny, but why TCL bought the brand in first place?
    01-22-20 02:06 PM
    I think that TCL has come to the belated conclusion that simply slapping a known name on a tech product isn't likely to get it to sell. Tech people tend to be more informed than for average consumer products, and are less likely to be swayed by a brand name. TCL is now going all-in selling phones under its own brand, which IMO is what they should have done in the first place.
    01-22-20 02:07 PM
    I think that TCL has come to the belated conclusion that simply slapping a known name on a tech product isn't likely to get it to sell.
    At least they could have bought trademarks that are not associated with obsolescence. If Elon Musk tried that, his electric car brand would be called the "Packard".
    01-22-20 02:20 PM
    At least they could have bought trademarks that are not associated with obsolescence. If Elon Musk tried that, his electric car brand would be called the "Packard".
    To follow the BlackBerry name scenario, perhaps Mr. Musk would have his brand as "Edsel". Yikes!
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    01-22-20 02:26 PM
    At least when Palm went out, it was at least, timing perspective, more gracefully. It sat quietly for several years before resurrection. With BlackBerry, it’s too synonymous with PKB, 2000s and early smartphones. Like AOL, Hotmail or Yahoo! brands from the late nineties. People don’t mind free-mail, but iCloud, Gmail and Outlook aren’t ridiculed or considered used almost exclusively by old people.
    01-22-20 02:30 PM
    I think that TCL has come to the belated conclusion that simply slapping a known name on a tech product isn't likely to get it to sell. Tech people tend to be more informed than for average consumer products, and are less likely to be swayed by a brand name. TCL is now going all-in selling phones under its own brand, which IMO is what they should have done in the first place.
    Yep, Hindsight is always 2020 in business, most figure that out only after they have stuck their neck out and had it chopped off once or twice before reality sets in.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-22-20 03:40 PM
    At least when Palm went out, it was at least, timing perspective, more gracefully. It sat quietly for several years before resurrection. With BlackBerry, it’s too synonymous with PKB, 2000s and early smartphones. Like AOL, Hotmail or Yahoo! brands from the late nineties. People don’t mind free-mail, but iCloud, Gmail and Outlook aren’t ridiculed or considered used almost exclusively by old people.
    TCL announced very big promises regarded the new Palm company, and I really don't know why it took them 4 years to release a phone!
    01-23-20 12:00 AM
    TCL announced very big promises regarded the new Palm company, and I really don't know why it took them 4 years to release a phone!
    Obviously poor execution with their mobile offerings. Perhaps their own will be better? The "Key" no pun intended will be their commitment or not to regular updates. Unless they strive for Nokia like support their dead in the water.
    01-23-20 12:05 AM
    At the time of the acquisition, TCL's phone business was growing. Growth slowed not long after, and profits disappeared, which is when they licensed the BB package, and while they have slowed the declines, it was mostly via Alcatel and OEM work. Neither BB nor Palm offerings made money.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-23-20 01:24 AM
    At the time of the acquisition, TCL's phone business was growing. Growth slowed not long after, and profits disappeared, which is when they licensed the BB package, and while they have slowed the declines, it was mostly via Alcatel and OEM work. Neither BB nor Palm offerings made money.
    Do you think they are done with both Palm and BlackBerry? Focus on their own brand?
    01-23-20 01:26 AM
    Do you think they are done with both Palm and BlackBerry? Focus on their own brand?
    Yes. TCL and Alcatel will be their focus.
    01-23-20 03:19 AM
    TCL is now going all-in selling phones under its own brand, which IMO is what they should have done in the first place.
    TCL is going all in on the slab market which is already way, way overcrowded with better offerings from better OEM's at all price points. I don't see how this could possibly succeed.
    phuoc and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-23-20 11:59 AM
    TCL is going all in on the slab market which is already way, way overcrowded with better offerings from better OEM's at all price points. I don't see how this could possibly succeed.
    It’s every Android OEMs business model and the only viable one. No different than every Windows OEMs business model in desktop/laptop product space.

Look how exciting that space is now.....
    Laura Knotek and John Albert like this.
    01-23-20 12:43 PM
    I don’t believe their largest shareholder wanted to move into the USA market at time with all the drama around fellow OEM brethren.
    01-23-20 12:48 PM
    It’s every Android OEMs business model and the only viable one. No different than every Windows OEMs business model in desktop/laptop product space.

Look how exciting that space is now.....
    Once products are commodities, excitement always wanes. Nobody is excited about TVs, refrigerators or washers either.
    01-23-20 01:29 PM
    Nobody is excited about TVs, refrigerators or washers either.
    Even the latter two could bring more exciting features than slabs at this point lol
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-23-20 01:44 PM
    Once products are commodities, excitement always wanes. Nobody is excited about TVs, refrigerators or washers either.
    Chainsaws attract enthusiasm though..
    01-23-20 02:12 PM
    TCL have done well in TV's. We own two of the Roku sets a 65 and 55 inch version. They have been very good.

Via my White BlackBerry Passport
    01-23-20 06:09 PM
    I applaud your sense of humor

Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-23-20 06:11 PM
    TCL have done well in TV's. We own two of the Roku sets a 65 and 55 inch version. They have been very good.

Never said the opposite...

I'm talking about phones, who's gonna buy theirs when there are better options from better OEM's at all price points
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-23-20 07:11 PM
    Looking for towngirl again?
    01-23-20 07:28 PM
    Why worry about something that you will never buy?
    Never said the opposite...

I'm talking about phones, who's gonna buy theirs when there are better options from better OEM's at all price points
    01-23-20 07:30 PM
    There are plenty of phones that you or I believe have superior alternatives, but still sell in decent volumes in different parts of the world.

Having said that, it's late in the game to try to be establishing yourself in the smartphone business, and that's going to work against TCL, as is their lack of resources, which means that long-term support probably isn't viable for them. People in many countries don't really care, but for those that do care, that's a big deal.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-23-20 08:56 PM
36 12