Before the flames start coming here me out.

Rim just announced how well android apps are going to port to QNX.

Where does that leave BB developers?

Where does that Leave OS7 devices?

I think you all just got hosed by Jim and Mike.........

Spin it as you will but the writing is on the wall.......
    10-20-11 02:36 PM
    Unless you're a JDE developer who can't manage to figure out any other possible means of development (you understand object oriented, but can only handle Java AND cannot manage to program using the Android SDK in java I guess????) I don't really see the point...
    10-20-11 02:45 PM
    Well, going to droid this weekend! lol
    10-20-11 02:45 PM
    Papped you own an OS 7 device where do you fit in the picture???? I mean all this "hype" about developing for QNX and Android porting..what about developing for AN os that is going away?
    10-20-11 02:47 PM
    Papped you own an OS 7 device where do you fit in the picture???? I mean all this "hype" about developing for QNX and Android porting..what about developing for AN os that is going away?
    I had a hard time finding new android apps that I actually wanted to use beyond a select few and they have plenty of development. My OS7 situation is fairly identical.

Even if the OS is not the future you can easily still make money on the existing userbase unless you just choose not to. There are millions upon millions that do not upgrade right away (or can't) and this is before QNX handsets are even close to available, so...
    10-20-11 02:54 PM
    With all the bad news and dissapointments coming out of RIM's camp lately how can anyone be a BB fan?
    You can make valid points for every platform and ask the same question.

I do agree RIM has the worst track record with disappointments for the last few years though.
    skyrider007 likes this.
    10-20-11 02:56 PM
    Reminds everyone that HTML5 is the future and that any app developers who've not already made the move, are lagging far behind in technology.
    Just Me likes this.
    10-20-11 02:56 PM
    I do agree RIM has the worst track record with disappointments for the last few years though.
    Maybe 2nd behind webos, which was supposed to be the 2nd coming and utterly dissipated both immediately out the gate and insanely rapidly afterwards.
    10-20-11 03:47 PM
    I just want everyone to know that Accidental Post is a troll. He keeps trying to get people to switch from BlackBerry's to iPhones and has "clinics" to coach frustrated switchers on how to pretend a virtual keyboard is workable.
    I looked up his posts because he challenged me on something and he was wrong.

I don't mind that he likes the iPhone but why the **** is he in this website? This website is not for people that want to worship at the alter of Steve Jobs. People on this website should be BlackBerry users trying to help each other out.

BlackBerry just made some major enhancements and new apps, especially the HTML5 ones are going to port from many more developers. We are going to gain apps exponentially from here as you will see with the torrent of new Playbook apps.

The notion that the OS7 devices are going to be discontinued is about as real as the fact that Steve Jobs died of cancer caused by apple products. It is just fantasy and B.S. OS7 will be here in two years and three years and beyond. The app developers will have to do more work to port their apps over from OS7 than before (and they should get paid for it when they sell more apps) but the users of BlackBerry will see a much larger eco-system so this troll is going to tell you we just got screwed but he is lying again.

I don't mind if people want a new device, I myself had an apple device but like the Bold 9930 better. Just look up accidental post's postings. He is a troll and I wish he would go to the apple website and hang there.

Why are non-BlackBerry users posting this kind of distortions on our website? Because they have some incentive to get you to switch. We don't go to the apple forums and complain about how apple is screwing Kindle users by taking away the buy button from the app are we?

Bottom line, BlackBerry OS7, Playbook and BBX phones are all going to see an increase in apps as a result of the new changes. Just watch the keynote. It is a clear plan for success. This guy is just trying to make your mind up for you. Just look at his comment about Crackberry and Kool-aid. Don't buy it. We just got a sweet roadmap for tens of thousands of new apps.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-20-11 at 04:15 PM.
    10-20-11 04:05 PM
    if its going to be that easy to port from Android to BB, shouldn't it be just as easy to go the other way? This could perhaps open the door to BB developers making more money by adding an Android version to their catalog, and vice-versa for Android devs. If any of the great Android devs start porting some really good apps to BB, I don't see how that could be bad for the BB ecosystem. It would force BB developers to continue to improve their apps to compete in the marketplace. Means better apps for everyone.

I should add I know nothing about developing apps, just giving my thoughts.
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 10-20-11 at 04:23 PM.
    10-20-11 04:14 PM
    Maybe 2nd behind webos, which was supposed to be the 2nd coming and utterly dissipated both immediately out the gate and insanely rapidly afterwards.
    That's very true, but Palm was already in trouble before WebOS came about. I will agree though that RIM is top 2.
    10-20-11 04:19 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Just what we need ... another TROLL posting ....
    guerllamo7 and recompile like this.
    10-20-11 04:23 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Before the flames start coming here me out.

Rim just announced how well android apps are going to port to QNX.

Where does that leave BB developers?

Where does that Leave OS7 devices?

I think you all just got hosed by Jim and Mike.........

Spin it as you will but the writing is on the wall.......
    Troll alert!!!.... another ***** post.....
    10-20-11 04:24 PM
    I wouldn't really care where the apps came from, BB App World or Android. As long as they're available to me, that is all I want. So I wouldn't mind using any devs apps on the PB.

As a den, which I'm not, I don't think it hinders them. BB devs can still make apps. Competition is good, especially for apps, for consumers.
    10-20-11 04:26 PM
    if its going to be that easy to port from Android to BB, shouldn't it be just as easy to go the other way? This could perhaps open the door to BB developers making more money by adding an Android version to their catalog, and vice-versa for Android devs.
    No, because in order to put QNX apps on android they would have to actually port over the entire app and use the android tools. QNX apps aren't even going to be java based, so it's quite a bit different.

It's a one-directional port because of the app player that the PB has.
    10-20-11 04:29 PM
    wait..........

isnt that the BEST track record with disappointments?..

You can make valid points for every platform and ask the same question.

10-20-11 04:30 PM
    That's very true, but Palm was already in trouble before WebOS came about. I will agree though that RIM is top 2.
    Also to be fair, nobody else was going through a major OS/product transition right now other than Nokia (who is basically relying on MS at this point so they aren't doing it on their own) and Palm. So the situation was expected to not be as bad for anyone else.
    10-20-11 04:32 PM
    If Android & the Android Market are so unsafe, why is everyone do excited about the Android Player for Blackberry. Why aren't Blackberry trolls crying about security?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-20-11 04:33 PM
    wait..........

isnt that the BEST track record with disappointments?..
    Yea I guess it should be that.

Also to be fair, nobody else was going through a major OS/product transition right now other than Nokia (who is basically relying on MS at this point so they aren't doing it on their own) and Palm. So the situation was expected to not be as bad for anyone else.
    Very true as well. Hopefully BBX is a grandslam.
    10-20-11 04:34 PM
    If Android & the Android Market are so unsafe, why is everyone do excited about the Android Player for Blackberry. Why aren't Blackberry trolls crying about security?
    Android Market has nothing to do with that for the PB, since they still have to submit to Appworld. Also a lot of the malware features probably would not work correctly since the system is not the same.
    10-20-11 04:38 PM
    Android Market has nothing to do with that for the PB, since they still have to submit to Appworld. Also a lot of the malware features probably would not work correctly since the system is not the same.
    What makes you so sure of this?
    10-20-11 04:39 PM
    What makes you so sure of this?
    Because he is a BlackBerry developer... A good one too!
    Since this whole situation affects him, I'm sure he has done his homework....

To answer the question titled in this thread, the answer is NO...
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-20-11 04:46 PM
    will any of these new apps be able to play on os5? or is that just getting killed off compleatly ?
    10-20-11 04:48 PM
    call the OP a troll all you want, devcon just finished what april 19th started, i think unless there is a leadership change, rim has gone beyond the point of no return now. They had such a loyal consumer base and the p***ed on them over and over with one broken promise after total dissapointment after another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Accidental Post likes this.
    10-20-11 04:49 PM
    A famous troll!? Lmao

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 01:02 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD