I was on my way to work and walking by the bus stop my eyes did a double take on some object that I passed and I go back to find it was a curve 9300 in a gel case, I immediately envision someone running for the bus and dropping the phone, and the gel case softening the sound of it hitting the floor. I pick it up knowing I would return it.

I've left my Bold 9700 in the restroom at work.. no one ever turned it in, had my Bold 9000 stolen from inside my drawer at work, and husbands Storm 2 was left only minutes on an elliptical machine at 24hr fitness and never turned in (actually we suspect it was turned in but kept by the worker, cause when we said did someone turn in a blackberry storm? He said no immediately then followed with what carrier is it anyways? My first thought was what's it to you what carrier it is!)

As I sat wondering how to word the text to this girl's bf, the only person in the text log, I almost wanted to keep the phone since my Torch is still in Houston Tx being repaired, why it takes a whole week to replace an LCD and still no idea when it'll be done beats me, but then I thought but wait this girl will have to buy a new phone... What if she buys an iPhone? And on that note I pressed send lol

Funny what that last little motivational push can be.
    11-16-11 11:17 AM
    hahaha good job.

I wish someone returned my 9800 to me when it was left in a cab on my birthday! (had a few too many drinks lol).
    11-16-11 11:36 AM
    Wow. Nice story. Always happy to hear stories like this.
    11-16-11 11:40 AM
    @mr-chasteau LOL! I'm wondering how many people would actually return an expensive smartphone, 1 out of 5? If so, that's saddening

I also wanna share that when my bold 9000 was stolen, like dumb asses, they left a message on our other phone unknowingly and were speaking Spanish, it was a couple. I had my friend translate and it went a little something like "how much do you think we can get for this? $100? ...No look someone here is selling it for 200!"

I was like its double that stupid!!!

@js8229 thanks! Happy to share-and update she already picked it up and was greatful, if anyone had returned mine I would've slipped them $50 bucks tip, but they obviously opted for larger payouts.
    Last edited by msmara; 11-16-11 at 11:55 AM.
    11-16-11 11:49 AM
    I once left my Bold 9700 on the counter in Walgreens and luckily it was returned to me. I also left it in the bathroom and it was returned to me too. I was so happy. lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    11-16-11 11:53 AM
    Where do you live! I work in San Francisco, all my incidents took place in downtown. You are lucky!
    11-16-11 11:58 AM
    Good Job OP.

My conscience would never let me live it down if I were just to keep it or sell it.
    If you believe in Karma, just think of what you did as a deposit in that Karma-Bank.

Unfortunately, we cannot determine when to make withdrawls
    msmara likes this.
    11-16-11 12:01 PM
    Thanks! Even though we can't determine when, I hope it comes in Blackberry form lol.
    11-16-11 12:04 PM
    Hey Msmara,

Nice story. Given the fact that we all can check our BB location via BlackBerry.com I would suggest the following for your device:
    I actually used the BBs ability so when you touch it then the display gives my first name and phone number with a little comment on getting a reward and gratitude for it.
    Honestly, I have a PW on my phone and there is not way they are going to get in so the phone is useless to others. Besides, I can track the phone so it is not a good idea to steal the phone.
    11-16-11 12:04 PM
    That's such a nice thing to do!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-11 12:08 PM
    @Guerllamo7 I do have a message like that on my password screen now too, but didn't know about the tracking. Is that new? And even then would it only give a general location or pinpoint exact address?
    Last edited by msmara; 11-16-11 at 12:10 PM.
    11-16-11 12:08 PM
    As I sat wondering how to word the text to this girl's bf, the only person in the text log, I almost wanted to keep the phone since my Torch is still in Houston Tx being repaired, why it takes a whole week to replace an LCD and still no idea when it'll be done beats me, but then I thought but wait this girl will have to buy a new phone... What if she buys an iPhone? And on that note I pressed send lol

Funny what that last little motivational push can be.
    LOL!!

Nice!
    11-16-11 01:14 PM
    if you ever try to lose your phone [ https://www.mylookout.com/blackberry ] will find your phone , and back up and delete and wipe , enjoy
    11-16-11 01:29 PM
    As often as I confront the opposite, it's wonderful to see someone do the right thing. Kudos Mara!
    11-16-11 01:40 PM
    I found a BB on the Toronto subway a few years ago (before I owned my first BB), it was not locked so I called my own cell phone to get the number off the device, and then called it back and left a voice mail saying I had found the device and how to contact me.

It turns out it belonged to someone involved in the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) and he was very appreciative: gave me $50 cash even though I didn't expect a reward and promised to send me some tickets to the film festival (that never happened) but in retrospect I wonder if the phone was full of the phone numbers of the stars (or their personal assistants at least). I didn't look... didn't want to invade the persons privacy, but he sure was grateful.
    JR A likes this.
    11-16-11 01:42 PM
    @Guerllamo7 I do have a message like that on my password screen now too, but didn't know about the tracking. Is that new? And even then would it only give a general location or pinpoint exact address?
    Are we talking BB Protect here? Free in AppWorld from RIM, and preloaded on all OS7 devices IIR.

Have it on my 9800 and it saved my **** on a sync gone mad! Was able to wipe contacts and reload.
    11-16-11 01:49 PM
    +1 for Protect! I've never lost a phone, but there's always tomorrow... Anyway, Msmara, nice job, I would've done the same, if I don't pay, I don't play.
    JR A likes this.
    11-16-11 05:03 PM
    I once left my Bold 9700 on the counter in Walgreens and luckily it was returned to me. I also left it in the bathroom and it was returned to me too. I was so happy. lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    I live in NY. So yes I am very lucky they returned my phone both times. lol
    11-16-11 06:06 PM
    Phew what a tiring day! But thanks for all the nice comments everyone!! I'm glad the phone I found was a BB too, felt that much better to return it!
    11-17-11 12:15 AM
    It was good you returned it. I wish more people would label their devices with return information. I have mine labeled under the case in case I lose it. Hopefully someone honest picks it up if I ever do.

I have found wallets, dogs, phones, etc. and have worked like **** getting them back to their owner. I have never taken a dime for reward and will continue to live my life that way. Karmic justice.
    JR A and moiselles like this.
    11-17-11 06:49 AM
    I found a curve 3G in the theater once and kept asking if somebody lost their blackberry and the woman was very thankful when I returned it to her.

JR A likes this.
    11-17-11 07:39 AM
    Awesome!

I had a similar story that happened with a cell phone (not a BB) that was left in the lockerroom when I was in highschool. My friend thought of keeping it. I figured he should've turned it in. Anyway, we went to send a text message to one of his recent contacts letting them know the person lost the phone. When we were looking at his recent text messages, we found that my friend's girlfriend had been flirtatiously texting this person and was actually cheating on my friend with the guy that lost the phone. Small world (or high school), go figure...

I guess that's what he gets for trying to steal someone's phone.
    11-17-11 11:18 AM
    I found a playbook and returned it. It was tough but once I figured I would want the same done for me it was easier

JR A likes this.
    11-17-11 11:25 AM
    I found an iPhone in a shopping cart (outside!) in my local Home Depot. I was looking through the contacts to see if there was a listing for "Home" or "House" when the phone rang, I answered it and it wasn't the owner, but someone trying to reach him, I told the caller that the person she was trying to reach had left their phone at Home Depot and then I turned it into the Customer service desk.

I'll always try to call some listing on the phone to see if I can find the owner, "House" or "Mom and Dad" are usually good options.
    11-17-11 03:57 PM
    I found an iPhone in a shopping cart (outside!) in my local Home Depot. I was looking through the contacts to see if there was a listing for "Home" or "House" when the phone rang, I answered it and it wasn't the owner, but someone trying to reach him, I told the caller that the person she was trying to reach had left their phone at Home Depot and then I turned it into the Customer service desk.

I'll always try to call some listing on the phone to see if I can find the owner, "House" or "Mom and Dad" are usually good options.
    Very nice of you! I'm sure the owner was relieved someone honest got their phone first!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!
    11-17-11 06:13 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD