I keep getting these random ads popping up that looks like some 13yr old typed it. It says its from AT&T, but it's clearly not if you look up who owns wappush.net, and I think AT&T would make sure they could spell personalize and not type like a 13yr old.
    "AT&T FREE Tip 2 of 5: Personilze ur phone w/ur own ringtone-even assign tones by caller. Click to view. Std data chrgs apply. 2end mktg msgs send STOP to 2804
    http://b.wappush.net/wapclick//ma/1180525/244911961"

I looked up wappush.net and it's registered by someone in go daddy

Edit: ok it looks to be wappush spam. is there anyway of disabling wappush messages from my phone?
    Last edited by astroidea; 09-17-08 at 03:42 PM.
    09-16-08 06:14 PM
    That is not spyware nor is it an exploit of a security hole.

It is advertising, probably a result of something you purchased
    subscribed to or signed up for.

Send a text to 2804 with the word STOP.

BTW, I did a Google search for wappush and ATT Media Net
    was the very first link.
    09-16-08 06:22 PM
    It could also be something att pushes through your service books, like the facebook icon through vzw. Check your service books and see if there's anything in there you don't recognize.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-08 06:30 PM
    It could also be something att pushes through your service books, like the facebook icon through vzw. Check your service books and see if there's anything in there you don't recognize.

in all fairness, i have a hard time reading through all those service books
    09-16-08 06:46 PM
    Another possibility is it could be SMS spam. Or if you use an instant messenger application like Yahoo or MSN it could be IM spam.
    09-16-08 08:04 PM
    Another possibility is it could be SMS spam. Or if you use an instant messenger application like Yahoo or MSN it could be IM spam.
    That is exactly my thinking.
    09-16-08 08:13 PM
    I think it is SMS spam. I used to get that on my WM6 MOTO Q, but apparently the BB is so secure I hardly ever get them anymore. I did however get one today.
    09-16-08 08:18 PM
    Isn't there an SMS spam filter on the BB? Or maybe that's only for MMS..
    09-16-08 08:20 PM
    in all fairness, i have a hard time reading through all those service books
    Lol. Once you get used to the way your servicebooks are setup and should look, its a breeze.

09-16-08 08:48 PM

was the very first link.
    does this method work for the bold too?
    09-16-08 09:35 PM
    does this method work for the bold too?
    I doubt it. It isn't device specific. It is message specific,
    but every text ad should have instructions detailing how to opt out of future ones
    09-16-08 10:28 PM

was the very first link.
    So what could it possibly be from?
    I just recently got my phone for about a month.
    The only thing i installed on it is iskoot(skype), jive talk, and dope wars.

I did not subscribe or sign up to anything.
    I looked up with wappush is. It is a type of SMS message that contains a link to a wap page. It's not like your average SMS message though, as this one is far more nasty, popping up randomly and taking over your screen.
    Go to the wappush.net site yourself, and you'll clearly see that it's not in any way affiliated with AT&T.

So how do I keep random people from sending me spam?
    And no, opt outs from non-legit businesses spamming people usually are bogus.

BTW what are service books?
    Last edited by astroidea; 09-17-08 at 09:23 AM.
    09-17-08 09:03 AM
    OK I just googled wappush spam and this seems quite common, and often expensive for the people receiving the spam. Hopefully these messages goes under my SMS plan, and won't cost me anything.

Is there anyway of disabling my phone from receiving wappush messages?
    09-17-08 09:19 AM
    OK I just googled wappush spam and this seems quite common, and often expensive for the people receiving the spam. Hopefully these messages goes under my SMS plan, and won't cost me anything.

Is there anyway of disabling my phone from receiving wappush messages?
    It depends. If you somehow accidently "signed up" for a premium SMS service like Thumbplay (been there; done that *sigh*), then you'll be billed either on a monthly basis or a per message basis. In theory they're not supposed to charge you unless you specifically agree with it, but the theory works better than the practice lol. For me this is the second time in about 2 years that someone ***** has gifted me with a premium account that I didn't want or ask for.

My solution was simply to call my service provider and have them block all premium texting service, period. I believe it may also be possible to have them block a specific number, but that may not have much value if the texts are coming from multiple sources, which they probably are.
    09-17-08 11:49 AM
    The messages are not uncommon, and they are affiliated with AT&T. I got them when I first activated my berry, and after responding with "stop" I never got one again. No great spam conspiracy here, just mobile carrier advertising

09-17-08 01:50 PM
    The messages are not uncommon, and they are affiliated with AT&T. I got them when I first activated my berry, and after responding with "stop" I never got one again. No great spam conspiracy here, just mobile carrier advertising

i don't know what message you received, but if you do a whois on wappush.net, the link that was sent to me, it's registered under godaddy

I don't think AT&T would register a domain with godaddy.

additionally, i did send stop to the number, and i got another one today.

go do a search for wappush spam. it's quite common, and it's NOT from AT&T. No ****ing reputable telecom company would send random spam that takes over your entire screen, especially not one in the form of a 13yr old's typing.
    09-17-08 03:47 PM
    Ok I looked around in the options and found the place to disable wappush messages. It's under advanced options then browser push.
    09-17-08 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD