With the release of the new OS 7 devices, I wanted to know what you expected from RIM and whether they met your expectations with their releases.

Here are my thoughts:

I honestly didn't expect much from this release when it was first leaked. RIM has a history of releasing minimal updates with each new OS.

However, for being thought of as devices meant to keep only minimally satisfied before next year's anticipated QNX-based phones, RIM did a pretty darn good job on these phones. I use a Pearl Flip 8230 running OS 4.6 and absoltely loved the 9800 and OS 6. Now while there are many who complain that 7 looks a lot like 6, I didn't think anything was wrong with 6's UI. I like the organization BB OS offers me instead of having everything strewn all over the phone like other OSs.

BlackBerry seems to have returned to relativity with these new releases, and probably a year in advance as well. QNX is thought of to be an iOS killer, but OS 7 is at least on par with iOS and Android. Now that RIM has caught up, it can now focus on getting ahead.

So, my expectations weren't that high for BB 7. However, I was blown away with the speed, responsiveness, and hardware/software ugrades on the new deivces. Now I'm eagerly awaiting AT&T's release of the Torch 9810 and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I can safely say that 7 far exceeded my expectations and I can see myself being a BlackBerry user for a long time. How about you? Did BB 7 live up to your standards? Did it fall short of them? Exceed them?

Thanks in advance for sharing!
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-17-11 11:25 AM
    With the release of the new OS 7 devices, I wanted to know what you expected from RIM and whether they met your expectations with their releases.

Here are my thoughts:

I honestly didn't expect much from this release when it was first leaked. RIM has a history of releasing minimal updates with each new OS.

However, for being thought of as devices meant to keep only minimally satisfied before next year's anticipated QNX-based phones, RIM did a pretty darn good job on these phones. I use a Pearl Flip 8230 running OS 4.6 and absoltely loved the 9800 and OS 6. Now while there are many who complain that 7 looks a lot like 6, I didn't think anything was wrong with 6's UI. I like the organization BB OS offers me instead of having everything strewn all over the phone like other OSs.

BlackBerry seems to have returned to relativity with these new releases, and probably a year in advance as well. QNX is thought of to be an iOS killer, but OS 7 is at least on par with iOS and Android. Now that RIM has caught up, it can now focus on getting ahead.

So, my expectations weren't that high for BB 7. However, I was blown away with the speed, responsiveness, and hardware/software ugrades on the new deivces. Now I'm eagerly awaiting AT&T's release of the Torch 9810 and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I can safely say that 7 far exceeded my expectations and I can see myself being a BlackBerry user for a long time. How about you? Did BB 7 live up to your standards? Did it fall short of them? Exceed them?

Thanks in advance for sharing!
    Well, I'll find out next week when my wife and I receive our T2s. Personally, I'm in no hurry to get an QNX device. Well, at least the 1st generation devices. That way, "some" of the bugs will be worked out prior to purchasing. Those who have been around Blackberry can relate.
    08-17-11 12:15 PM
    I just received a 9650 from work, a nice upgrade from my 8530. I have rely enjoyed BB06 and just getting used to it. On Friday I purchased 2 9900's for my mother and sister and have spent the weekend setting them up. Now going back to BB06 hurts just a little and my new, one month old 9650 just don't cut it in my eye's. I want BB07. BB07 is a huge upgrade!!
    08-17-11 12:23 PM
    While I haven't played with one directly, from what I have seen in video's online, I would say that it exceeded my expectations of how good and fluid BBOS could run if given great hardware and full GPU support. I'm shocked that this is an iteration of OS6 and a little upset with RIM too that if the OS was capable of this type of performance, then why didn't they unlock it before?! Had these device came out in late 2010 early 2011 RIM would probably be sitting much better in Share Price and breathing room to get QNX handsets out. This is all MHO though.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-17-11 12:29 PM
    I need UMA before i'd be able to switch.
    08-17-11 04:57 PM
    I love how OS 7 I can be listing to music on Slacker Radio or a podcast on Podtrapper and if I receive a text msg the alert sound will not interrupt the music that is playing. Before It would temporarily pause what was being played before resuming. Now THAT is something I didnt expect.
    08-17-11 06:05 PM
    I don't see OS7 as much different from OS6, besides touch.

But; I could say pretty much the same thing with each new OS.

BlackBerry's OS is what it is; solid, secure, and dependable. Not very flashy.
    08-17-11 07:28 PM
    I agree with what you guys have said about OS7's GUI not being THAT different from OS6, but look at the GUI of the iPhone... not really changed much since the first iPhone was released...
    08-17-11 09:00 PM
    Being that there was nothing very wrong with OS6 except for the performance... i'd say OS7 did meet my expectations, but didn't exceed them.

Unfortunately there are so many reviewers/bloggers out there that don't even give the OS7 devices a chance before talking smack.
    08-17-11 09:42 PM
    I never got an OS 7 device. Judging by the specs and reviews I say it does well. It doesn't exceed my expectations though only cuz of the Camera. With all the other phones coming out with 8 MP, why did Blackberry just stay 5? I like to replace my camera with my phone. Not only that, Blackberry is known for it's stellar battery life. WHY did they have to sacrifice function for form? Meaning make a smaller battery. That was a major dissapointment.

I'd say it's awesome for those who have never tried Blackberry before or for the die hard crack addicts. But personally for me I don't know if its worth it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 01:25 AM
    While I haven't played with one directly, from what I have seen in video's online, I would say that it exceeded my expectations of how good and fluid BBOS could run if given great hardware and full GPU support. I'm shocked that this is an iteration of OS6 and a little upset with RIM too that if the OS was capable of this type of performance, then why didn't they unlock it before?! Had these device came out in late 2010 early 2011 RIM would probably be sitting much better in Share Price and breathing room to get QNX handsets out. This is all MHO though.
    You're not the only one asking that question.
    08-18-11 01:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD