I just realized that Apple only just now supports 4g in my contry with the 5S, it was never about technology or support for them
    09-10-13 02:43 PM
    Apple doesn't innovate, of course. Exactly what would they have to do to innovate in your eyes? A battery that lasts forever?

Please, you have no idea what you're talking about, and you're completely ignorant about apple history and technology in general. Apple wasn't the first to make a touch screen phone, nor the first to make a tablet. They were the first to be successful.

They're not the first to have fingerprint technology, but this will be the first time it's worked correctly. A year from not every phone will come out with a fingerprint scanner, including Blackberry if it's still alive.

Herre's the deal, there is nothing apple could do that would make their haters give them credit. Doesn't mean these aren't great phones, doesn't mean they won't sell like crazy. Apple is always improving, they don't have to blow people away because of their position.

Blackberry DOES need to innovate, and they are completely unable to do so, putting out phones that are irrelevant in today's market.
    09-10-13 02:44 PM
    Since this phone will have a 64 bit OS and Processor (unless it is running a 32 bit emulator that will basically make having 64 bit a mute point) does this mean the iPhone app ecosystem will be starting from scratch? I remember when Windows 7 64 bit came out and all the issues people had with programs not working.
    No, you cannot compare Windows to iOS.

If you have a 64-bit Mac, you can run 32-bit OS X apps with no issue. There is no emulator or compatibility layer needed. The 32-bit apps run perfectly natively, as I'm sure they will on iOS. Apple got it right on the Mac, why would they suddenly not know how to do this on iOS?
    Bsbudd and seemsixty7 like this.
    09-10-13 02:48 PM
    He also states consumers don't care about processor speed, but then uses megapixels as something they DO care about. MPLexus301 just spins the story any way that it makes blackberry look good an apple bad. He has no idea what he's talking about.
    theflew and richardat like this.
    Apple sold 31.2 million iPhones in the last quarter they reported - one in which they didn't have any new models. So, if they left the door open for a BB10 phone to double its sales they would hardly notice.
    He also states consumers don't care about processor speed, but then uses megapixels as something they DO care about. MPLexus301 just spins the story any way that it makes blackberry look good an apple bad. He has no idea what he's talking about.
    LOL. Sorry man, but I have been extremely critical of BB lately, and unabashedly so. Feel free to scan through any of my recent posts.

To be quite honest, I was hoping that with the release of the 5S, Apple would have given me a reason to dump my Z10 but from what we saw today, I'm not there yet.
    09-10-13 02:54 PM
    Z30 will still be 32 bit processing/processor, and probably equal pricing.
    Final specs for Z30 have been released? Where?
    09-10-13 02:54 PM
    The one positive I see in the fingerprint scanner is security. What I mean by this is there is an epidemic of Iphone thefts that law enforcement has been struggling to curb. I have seen numerous reports of unsuspecting people walking down the street in NYC fully engrossed in their phones only to have someone run up and snatch the phone from their hands and run away.

If the fingerprint scanner is truly a security feature where it can't be easily unlocked without the right fingerprint, then this will be a major selling point for many people on campuses and big cities everywhere.
    seemsixty7 likes this.
    09-10-13 02:55 PM
    If I knew how, I'd learn to care even less about what Apple does or doesn't do with their phone...cause I have a BlackBerry 10, nuff said.
    09-10-13 02:58 PM
    Question: When developing for Desktop systems and the difference between 32 bit and 64bit systems. Yes the 64 bit system smokes the 32 bit system when running all 64bit apps, but is actually slower when running 32 bit apps. I'm not sure if this is the case with iOS apps, but why wouldn't it be. Apple prides itself on the huge number of apps. How many of those apps are going to be recompiled for 64bit processing? It has taken years for the desktop to get a majority of programs to run in true 64bit mode and there have been a huge number of bugs issues and incompatibilities come up. Someone educate me about this in regards to iOS development. I see the 64bit processor as being a negative in reality, if the 32 bit apps run slower on it. Marketing wise with Apple's machine it won't matter until enough people complain about it much like they did with Apple Maps.
    They redesigned the core apps for 64 bit. They had a game dev in the stage that said it took them two hours to make the game 64 bit from 32 bit. They are working with devs to get the stuff ported.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    09-10-13 03:04 PM
    Final specs for Z30 have been released? Where?
    Qualcomm doesn't even have a 64 bit phone processor out. So where are they going to get one?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 03:05 PM
    Agreed, It appears that they've chosen to use the same chassis from the 5 for the 5s- recycle the inner hardware to the 5c-add a plastic cover, preinstall iOS7 and introduce it as new. The gaming looks awesome on the 5s, but iOS7 looks like it belongs to a power puff girl (it may be better than it looks)..doubt it. The fingerprint scanner, sounds cool, and offering free office software is a minor compromise, given the lack luster offerings and improvements. All in all, the gap has [officially] closed between android and Iphone (I would say Android is better), and there is plenty of room for BB and WP8 to close ground.
    MPLexus301, akabbani and Bsbudd like this.
    09-10-13 03:08 PM
    ...if bb is aggressive with marketing? We have been saying this forever. They never market enough. Thats always been the downfall
    09-10-13 03:09 PM
    How does the Z30 look competitive?
    It doesn't, its a stretched out Z10.
    09-10-13 03:10 PM
    ...if bb is aggressive with marketing? We have been saying this forever. They never market enough. Thats always been the downfall
    This is true, the z30 is a great device, I have played around with it. BlackBerry needs to throw a lot of money marketing the z30, its the best blackberry phone ever.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 03:14 PM
    Qualcomm doesn't even have a 64 bit phone processor out. So where are they going to get one?

Posted via CB10
    They could buy it from apple of course!
    The sensor size (per pixel) is really important. I'm glad that Apple keeps sticking to the point that this is more important than the number of pixels, because they are absolutely right. I think pictures on the 5S will prove that.

The fingerprint id is more convenient than putting your passcode or swipe each time, so I'm looking forward to that.

But other than that, I'm not sure the speed increases will be that much of a selling point. I think the whole upgrade from 4S/5 to 5S is small enough overall that people who are upgrade-eligible will probably at least look at Microsoft/Nokia, etc.
    If you saw the game demos on stage you'd see where the speed will count. Eco-System is where Apple shines and this just means they'll continue to see the best games and apps first and foremost, thus keeping their user base intact.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    richardat and gpg1808 like this.
    Wow...I read something from someone else that has me thinking. The biggest 'issue' with the 64bit os is that its only forward looking. So Apple will have to have two branches in there app store. One for 64 bit one for 32 bit. All the old hardware will not be able to support the 64 bit os. This is another strong arm 'buy' the new product move (smart sell more phones), but can introduce fragmentation. Also this could be a precursor to making one OS across all Apple devices, no more OSX. Less support means more money...all very sensible moves.
    09-10-13 03:19 PM
    Can't wait to try this.... except if I have a bandage on my finger.... or gloves when its cold... or when my hands are wet.... and when my hands are dirty.... or when i'm in a rush.... or when I want someone else to use my phone... or .....
    just as useful as siri in a room with other people speaking...
    09-10-13 03:22 PM
    Can't wait to try this.... except if I have a bandage on my finger.... or gloves when its cold... or when my hands are wet.... and when my hands are dirty.... or when i'm in a rush.... or when I want someone else to use my phone... or .....
    you can add multiple fingers, but it's apple's feature so u will dismiss it
    richardat, JeepBB and AlexXF like this.
    09-10-13 03:25 PM
    How well does your touch screen work in those same circumstances? You can always find a "con" for pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bsbudd, richardat and barnfoot like this.
    09-10-13 03:27 PM
    You're talking about systems where there API and/or ABI differences going from 32 to 64 bit processors. That should not be the case in going from A6 to A7. I would not expect any 32-bit app to be slower. We'll of course confirm this in a couple of weeks.

Again, for most apps I don't think this will be a major issue. There may a few exceptions, but the good thing about mobile application stores in general (not just Apples) is that you use the tool to recompile your app and upload it to the store and people see an update available. It shouldn't be a very big issue (again for most apps), especially when you consider how well defined and narrow the APIs are in a mobile OS versus a desktop one.

Again, I think that's a poor assumption. I think the apps that would benefit from 64-bit (games, instagram type apps, etc.) would probably be updated within weeks of the launch of the phone. Look how quickly everyone updated their apps for the iPhone 4 and 5 screens. Or how quickly we all supported iOS6.

It's not possible to crank clock speed in these devices. So Apple has the right idea is going wider (multiple 64-bit cores). It's hard to spin this one as a negative really.
    Thanks for the education. I've had to recompile for later versions dealing with multiple API's and various other language updates on desktop systems (Unicode was nasty, LOL) anyway. I have not developed any phone apps, and was not sure how the architecture worked. 16 bit to 32 bit was a long time period of adjustment, and 32 bit to 64bit or seems like it has been even longer in the transition, to full use. I just know what I am familiar with and have experienced. I am curious to see just how it pays off in the end. I can see an advantage to introducing 64 bit system and building up to it. I still think there should be some kind of degraded performance in processing a 32 bit app on a 64 bit system. But hey I'm no expert. Thanks again for the feedback.
    09-10-13 03:28 PM
    BlackBerry clearly has it's share of serious problems, but it seems to me that Apple just left the door open with the iPhone 5S/C announcement. Repackaging the iPhone 5 in plastic and calling it the "C", and upgrading the processor and camera technology (not hardware) and calling it the "5S" is far from the innovation that many have come to expect from Apple. Even the general consensus around my office (full of people who are iPhone users and don't know squat about phones) is "that's it?"

I'd love to see BB come out with a very aggressive campaign for the Z30, because it seems to me that the phone now has a shot in hell of looking very competitive against the iPhone.

Thoughts?
    I am not sure if you are serious.
    09-10-13 03:30 PM
    They redesigned the core apps for 64 bit. They had a game dev in the stage that said it took them two hours to make the game 64 bit from 32 bit. They are working with devs to get the stuff ported.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the feedback. I can see that, core apps and premier games, would be a minimum, but how many apps are available for the iPhone now days. Some god awful number right? at 2 hours a pop to port it to 64 bit that is a lot of developer time. Just saying it will be an effort on the developer community to get all of their apps ported.

I think the 64bit evolution is natural, don't misunderstand that. I just think it will bite them much like it bit intel and Microsoft. It takes time to move to a new platform, whether it be underlying processor (32 bit vs 64 bit) or a complete revamp of your OS (BBOS to BB10) iOS7 will be available in 32 bit and 64 bit. 64 for the 5S and 32 bit for the 5C. Right? I see some lessons to be learned for Apple. Nothing easily avoided in this industry. It is simply a growing pain.
    09-10-13 03:38 PM
    I still think there should be some kind of degraded performance in processing a 32 bit app on a 64 bit system.
    I totally understand why that would be the case on Windows. That I get, and I've seen that myself. But this is not the case on Macs. And I just can't think of any actual technical reason why this would be true on iOS and ARM.

Again, we'll see how it is in 10 days...
    seemsixty7 likes this.
    09-10-13 03:39 PM
604 12345 ...