Hi, this might be a dumb question but I can't figure it out.
    On a Blackberry, how do I dial phone numbers that are corresponding letters? For example, I'm in Ontario Canada and I want to call the Provincial Police, the cell number for that is *OPP . The BB won't let me dial a star* and I don't know what letters mean OPP. I was reporting a car in the ditch and I had to call 911 and have them transfer me.
    Thanks in advance.
    02-11-12 01:43 PM
    The "star"or asterisks is on the A key on my 9810. So just hit shift+A. The letters are just the equivalents of the T9 keypad. So on your home screen just hit the phone button and bring up your virtual T9 screen and click OPP which is really 677. In fact if you are in the T9 screen hitting the A key gives you the star, by default, not the A.

CS
    02-11-12 01:52 PM
    How do I bring up the T9 screen on a Bold 9900?
    02-11-12 02:08 PM
    You can't on a Bold 99xx. Look on an old mobile phone for what letters are what numbers is the best bet.

Its been so long since I have used one I cant remember ha.

The Torch has this on the screen keypad though.
    02-11-12 02:21 PM
    Hi, this might be a dumb question but I can't figure it out.
    On a Blackberry, how do I dial phone numbers that are corresponding letters? For example, I'm in Ontario Canada and I want to call the Provincial Police, the cell number for that is *OPP . The BB won't let me dial a star* and I don't know what letters mean OPP. I was reporting a car in the ditch and I had to call 911 and have them transfer me.
    Thanks in advance.
    You dial letters by pressing ALT and the letter you want to dial. For example, 800-TESTING would be 800 ALT-T ALT-E ALT-S etc.

Good luck.
    bllbored likes this.
    02-11-12 02:49 PM
    thanks bell! that was a question i didn't even know i had till someone else asked it...i love crackberry!
    02-11-12 02:54 PM
    Ah, for an asterisk it's SHIFT a, not ALT a .. only for the dialing and not for everything else on the phone ... .. well that's dumb isn't it??
    The letters I figured I'd just have to figure out myself, 677, which is a pain..but I'll remember that one..
    I have a 9700 and I'm not sure if I can get the T9 keyboard, too lazy to look for it at the moment :P

Bell, that doesn't work at all on my 9700; alt T is just T.

It was the asterisk I couldn't figure out..Thanks CanuckSoldier...
    and, off topic, - btw if you really are a soldier then, well, thanks again so much for absolutely everything You guys are the best.
    02-11-12 03:30 PM
    Ah, for an asterisk it's SHIFT a, not ALT a .. only for the dialing and not for everything else on the phone ... .. well that's dumb isn't it??
    The letters I figured I'd just have to figure out myself, 677, which is a pain..but I'll remember that one..
    I have a 9700 and I'm not sure if I can get the T9 keyboard, too lazy to look for it at the moment :P

Bell, that doesn't work at all on my 9700; alt T is just T.
    It was the asterisk I couldn't figure out..Thanks CanuckSoldier...
    and, off topic, - btw if you really are a soldier then, well, thanks again so much for absolutely everything You guys are the best.
    If u just hold the alt key and hit the key tht spells the word the BB will dial the number. So if u want 1800flowers just hit the 1800 like normal then hold the alt key and type the word flowers and the phone puts the correct numbers in when u hit the dial key. Good luck.
    02-11-12 09:48 PM
    You can't on a Bold 99xx. Look on an old mobile phone for what letters are what numbers is the best bet.

Its been so long since I have used one I cant remember ha.

The Torch has this on the screen keypad though.
    Ah sorry I didn't know the 9900/30 doesn't have a virtual T9 like the 9810 does, but the Alt letter thing seems to work. And yes I am a real soldier.

CS
    02-11-12 10:33 PM
    Covered on Crackberry:

CAlling Phone Numbers Containing Letters

Very useful! Used to google a picture of an old phone to figure it out!
    02-11-12 10:52 PM
    On my 9810 it shows the letters on the number keys in the phone app,
    02-11-12 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD