I recently made the switch from a Treo and LOVE the blackberry. It's amazing. One issue I do have is that many of my phone numbers have been saved with text help like:

310-833-2223 john cell
    310-222-3333 best

On the treo, when I dial these numbers, the text at the end is ignored. I do this when there are more than one cell number or if a friend likes to be called on a specific #. I know lots of people who do the same thing. What am I missing? Isn't there a way for the BB to dial a number saved like this and ignore the text at the end?

Thanks!
    06-13-08 02:47 PM
    You could always just separate the numbers into one of the many given fields for each individual contact.
    06-13-08 03:46 PM
    If you have Outlook, I say edit said contacts correctly, then sync with your Blackberry...
    06-13-08 04:02 PM
    like CrazEtooN said..theres room for additional numbers in the multiple fields of each contact. theres room for multiple work, home, and address inputs. if you want you can always save with the text at the end in a field not used if you need to, but i havent run into that issue yet
    06-13-08 04:06 PM
    If you have Outlook, I say edit said contacts correctly, then sync with your Blackberry...
    When you say edit correct I'm not sure why it is INCORRECT to add text at the end of the field. It's only incorrect because the blackberry tries to use it. The Treo didn't, Outlook and Skype don't and I have heard this same complaint from a few people already so I cannot be the only one who does it. Yes, I can edit out the data, and I have in most cases, but it's too bad the BB can't just ignore it.

Oh, well. Thanks anyway!

- S
    06-16-08 01:33 AM
    When you say edit correct I'm not sure why it is INCORRECT to add text at the end of the field. It's only incorrect because the blackberry tries to use it. The Treo didn't, Outlook and Skype don't and I have heard this same complaint from a few people already so I cannot be the only one who does it. Yes, I can edit out the data, and I have in most cases, but it's too bad the BB can't just ignore it.

Oh, well. Thanks anyway!

- S
    The BB doesn't ignore it because it converts it to digits, as there are many phone systems (voicemail, banks, etc) that require passwords, etc.

I personally like it the way it is.
    06-16-08 02:22 AM
    I agree with lakong! I have lots of contacts of friends with multiple cell phones. My entry is tagged with the persons name so I don't call Julie when I wanted Tim, or the Help Desk when I wanted Scheduling Assistance. I've found a comma works as far as dialing correctly but the phone won't recognize and display the contact name either when dialing or when receiving a call from them (just the number). So if I don't immediately recognize the number (I have few memorized anymore) I don't know who's calling. Dumb. RIM should be able to assign another character as a comment like ' in VBA or the aforementioned comma for extensions.
    07-24-08 01:41 PM
    There was another poster here just a few days ago, with the same problem. He found a work around by adding pauses after the number. If you pause long enough, the dialing will be over and the remaining letters won't get converted to numbers and dialed. I searched the forums, but can't find his post, or I'd post it for you.
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-24-08 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo
    07-24-08 08:36 PM
    Welcome to CB
    07-24-08 08:41 PM
    Welcome! I have often hit redial after calling a number where one has to enter menu numbers - somtimes as many as six to eight extra digits. The phone system generally only uses the digits it needs to recognize the number. It is my experience that it ignores the extra number beeps and connects you after the first seven digits [or ten beeps for ten digit dialing]. So you should be able to put a short description after your entries and not have it affect your call -- as long as you're not OCD and upset about hearing extra beeps, haha. The only problem is that a name won't pop up when they call you as c17 found. That shouldn't be a deal breaker for you if it's your friends calling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 07-24-08 at 09:19 PM.
    07-24-08 09:14 PM
    Its not "incorrect" because you think it should be that way. Nice. There are individual fields on contacts for a reason.
    07-24-08 09:19 PM
    I vote for outlook.
    07-24-08 09:24 PM
    I vote for outlook.
    How does that help?
    07-24-08 09:25 PM
    I never said I'd help. I was giving my vote. Hence the VOTE word.
    07-24-08 09:27 PM
    We're misunderstanding each other, I think. I wasn't challenging you, I meant, "How does Outlook help solve his problem?" I assumed you were voting for it as a solution. How is it a solution?
    07-24-08 09:33 PM
    Like navy said, you can edit your contacts how you want them and then sync them with your blackberry thru DM.

It's the only method I use after a wipe.
    07-24-08 09:38 PM
    You could always just create individual contacts. Which is exactly what I did for work. Each location is listed separately with any descriptions listed as part of the name. Extra work, yes. Well worth it in the long run. Especially when its a location that in trouble.
    07-24-08 09:48 PM
    I completely understand the problem. I just got my Blackberry 2 weeks ago, and came from a Nextel phone using a 3rd party phonebook application in which I could assign a descriptive name (called a "tag" within the app) to each number for a contact, if I chose to do so, in addition to identifying the number as work, home, cell, fax, or other.

For example, I had a single contact entry for a contractor I work with. Within that single contact I had an entry for their main number, an office number for "John", and cell number for "John", a cell number for "Jennifer", a home number for "Bob". All were readily identifiable at a glance because when viewing the contact or selecting a number to dial, each number as accompanied by an icon identifying it as a work, home, cell or fax number, and also with a name of John, Jennifer, or Bob.

I find the Blackberry address book to be much more rigid, but I'm sure it's something I can get used to. I also realize that under this more rigid structure, the best approach is probably to have separate address book entries for the main number, John, Jennifer and Bob. But I would think that a product as mature as the Blackberry should have evolved beyond these senseless limitations by now. But then again, their desire to sync with other products may very well be the reason maintaining the status quot.
    07-24-08 09:55 PM
    Yes, I believe that's what I was doing as JeffH said, adding pauses. When I edit a contact and put a comma after the number then an alpha tag, the comma changes to a reverse video "p" which I assume is a pause. When I dial that number, it indeed pauses, then dials the tag as tones. I don't mind that, I just wish it would pull up the number as caller ID. I don't understand why it wouldn't, especially since it's the only contact with that number. If it in fact was a switchboard and I had several contacts with that number but different extensions after the pause, I could understand it not knowing which to identify it as -- but when it's the only one?? Oh well, I guess I'll have to put Mom and Dad in separate contacts (and my brothers, sister, friends, etc.) My business contacts I've always entered separately.
    07-29-08 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD