View Poll Results: Which device was RIM's worst failure?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Storm 1 9530

20 35.09%
  • Tour 9630

11 19.30%
  • New Curve 85XX series

4 7.02%
  • Pearl Flip series

22 38.60%
    Not from an objective standpoint -what's your personal opinion? I've also listed a "best success" thread.

- Storm 1 9530 -- Never really fixed problems with the software, low app memory

- Tour 9630 -- Took forever to get OS 5, many hardware defects w/trackball, rumored to miss out on OS 6

- New Curve 85XX -- Mediocre app memory, next version released within a very short time frame

- Pearl Flip series -- Don't know much about the Pearl except few own it and it got discontinued relatively quickly
    07-16-10 11:51 AM
    None of the above.

Research in Motion builds BlackBerry for everybody and that includes a lot of Pearl owners. The 8220 and 8230 Pearl Flip are still in the current line up.

BlackBerry - Flip Phones - BlackBerry Pearl Flip Phone at BlackBerry.com
    07-16-10 11:55 AM
    I'd have to vote for Curve2. Very flimsy replacement for the solid 83xx line.

Pearl Flip was laughable.
    07-16-10 11:55 AM
    Pearl Flip all the way. ugh.
    07-16-10 12:11 PM
    I'd have to agree with Reed. All the devices listed above sold, and sold well. Not exactly a failure.

Yes, each of them had their issues, no doubt there. My Storm was fantastic for me, but I wouldn't go back to it now. The Pearl Flip, meh, not for me, but I know several people that have them and love them. The Tour, I hate with a passion (too many unpaid "tech support" calls from coworkers) but it's still a solid device for the average consumer. I love my little 8530, which I carry as my work BB. No frills, complete utility, which is exactly what I am looking for in a work device.

Bottom line, WE may call them failures, but how many average, "uninformed" consumers would have any concern about the release of OS5 on the Tour, much less OS6? Or would realize that the app memory on the 95xx/85xx series was low at all? We have a little more insight here, having this site and community to help keep us aware, but the average consumer will have no idea what the F you are talking about if you blab about app memory or OS 6.
    07-16-10 12:21 PM
    Storm 1. No question. If anyone doesn't think that the Storm 1 wasn't a failure
    they're strictly a fanboy.
    07-16-10 01:09 PM
    Storm 1. No question. If anyone doesn't think that the Storm 1 wasn't a failure
    they're strictly a fanboy.
    +1
    Wasn't even a question, when I saw that option on there...

#2 would be the Pearl Flip.
    07-16-10 01:17 PM
    I voted for the Tour, barely ahead of the Storm1. Tour was released a year after the original Bold, when things like a trackpad and WiFi were already in the works for RIM...it was the last device to get 5.0, about 6 months after it should have and everyone was having issues with the trackball.

Although, the good part about owning a Tour is that it was replaced with the new Bold...unlike the Storm1.
    07-16-10 01:40 PM
    Although, the good part about owning a Tour is that it was replaced with the new Bold...unlike the Storm1.
    That was only an accident... Supposedly they (VZW) ran out of 9630 replacements temporarily.
    07-16-10 01:44 PM
    I vote storm one, but tour is right behind without wifi or trackpad, and the horrible trackball problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 01:58 PM
    I say the tour. I never had that many problems with my storm or pearl flip. At least compared to the amount of problems that I had with the tour.
    07-16-10 02:03 PM
    I actually think the Tour was a good device because only some people received a faulty trackball with their device. My Tour to date hasn't had any problems. Long live the Tour.
    07-16-10 02:03 PM
    +1
    Wasn't even a question, when I saw that option on there...

#2 would be the Pearl Flip.
    the storm was a huge flop.....

The T-Mobile version of the 9700 would have to be up there as well... cannot hold a HSPA signal for anything.

the peal flip was great idea, poorly executed.
    07-16-10 02:11 PM
    I actually think the Tour was a good device because only some people received a faulty trackball with their device. My Tour to date hasn't had any problems. Long live the Tour.
    +1, I've never had a problem with my trackball either.
    07-16-10 02:12 PM
    I'm sure the Storm1 is going to win your vote, BUT I still have great fondness for mine.
    07-16-10 02:20 PM
    The Storm1 sold a ton of units. You'll have to be more specific in regards to what you consider to be a "failure". The Pearl Flip was also my first BlackBerry. While it was no Bold, it was far better than any 8100 that was offered at the time for roughly the same price.
    07-16-10 03:39 PM
    The Storm1 sold a ton of units. You'll have to be more specific in regards to what you consider to be a "failure". The Pearl Flip was also my first BlackBerry. While it was no Bold, it was far better than any 8100 that was offered at the time for roughly the same price.
    Personal preference. I love the SurePress on the Storm 1 and the big screen is much nicer than other BB's...app memory is really the biggest issue.
    07-16-10 04:13 PM
    Storm 1 fo sho!
    07-16-10 04:58 PM
    Having owned it, curve 2, it was not a huge upgrade over the 8330 what so ever
    07-16-10 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD