Firstly, I am really sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum. I am panicking slightly, and need some help please!

I was carrying my 8900 curve in the pouch of my hoodie today, and when I pulled it out it was asking for the password - but it was on 9 out of 10 attempts??!! I keyed in my handset password, but this didnt work, and the device started wiping everything.

I searched online etc and found the blackberry desktop manager, uploaded that, and managed to get my phone working again...

until about 10 minutes after when I went to the media manager on the desktop, and it asked for this device password again!!! Yep, I tried every thing imaginable, and it worked out reaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly great - it wiped again!

So what exactly is this device password? its obviously not the 4 digit number i chose to use to lock/unlock the device. Where can I find it? Will Orange my contract provider be able to advise/reset? I have tried to call them, and after 5 minutes of going through 'press option 1 for xyz etc' I got to a recorded message saying they closed 15 minutes ago!! arghhhhhhhhhhh!!

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, and answered, but I cannot for the life of me find the answer

I cant be without my phone!! Seriously. It's my lifeline as I am not well, and need it by my side 24/7
    07-13-10 05:51 PM
    The device password is the same as the password you use to lock / unlock your device. Since password entry is masked, you can't tell if ALT or SHIFT is on when you enter your password. So you may think you entered 1234 when in reality you entered WERS or wers. Try one of those variants on your password. That's a common mistake.

Orange won't be able to help you. There is no way to reset the password without knowing it.
    07-13-10 05:56 PM
    I had this happen to my 8530

Your password is whatever you have set it to be with password lock, if you can't remember it try disabling it, options-->password then select disable, hope this works!

*edit* posted at the same time as Jeff, hope you get it worked out, best of luck
    07-13-10 05:58 PM
    Oh ****. I saw what you have advised on another thread i think, tried it and it still didnt accept it..?? then thats when it wiped it the 2nd time, when I was attempting to open the media manager thingy.

update.

I reloaded the os, and deactivated my password. Then I thought about it again and reactivated it, but changed it to a password that could only be letters, and not on the numbers keys.

And hey! it seems to have worked now! Thanks for your help Jeff
    07-13-10 06:03 PM
    Since password entry is masked, you can't tell if ALT or SHIFT is on when you enter your password. So you may think you entered 1234 when in reality you entered WERS or wers. Try one of those variants on your password. That's a common mistake.
    Actually when I hit 'alt' or 'shift' it shows up on the screen when entering my password..
    07-13-10 06:12 PM
    Yes, but since you can't see what you are entering, you may not realize it. This exact problem happens surprisingly often. Unfortunately, users usually wait until they are on Attempt 9 of 10 and they don't have enough tries left to figure it out by trying variations.
    07-13-10 06:16 PM
    At least you had a backup. Good thing.
    07-13-10 06:17 PM
    Ah I see what you're saying jeff, ypu don't see the characters as you enter them, misunderstood your post.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 06:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD