I was listening to a podcast(tracyandmatt.co.uk) and they really put the finger on one issue, are we suffering from device fatigue? I certainly am, I can't be bothered learning about any new devices, every week there's a new one. I dread looking at a new phone and a spec sheet.

Until first BB10 device hits the shops I am giving the mobile industry the cold shoulder. I don't want to know anymore.

Anybody else?
    05-12-12 07:34 AM
    No fatigue here it nice to see whats around the corner in the smart phone world!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-12-12 08:03 AM
    I don't see DF an as issue, at least not now, because the major manufacturers release new devices and models, but the basic OS and operation are pretty much the same.

I don't have to go over each device with a fine tooth comb to figure out how they work. Usually because I don't plan on using them, burying your head in the sand is a good way to avoid hearing about the constant rumours and stories of what MAY be coming. When it comes time to actually buy a device, you may find yourself on a forum asking complete strangers what device you should get

If learning about new tech and salivating for the next 'big' thing seems to much like work, take a break and step back.
    howarmat likes this.
    05-12-12 08:20 AM
    Cant say it bothers me at all really either. I love reading and following tech. Like mentioned most all OS are the same so just because i have Nexus doesnt mean if i move to a LG phone that i will be relearning everything. Same with BB, BB5 operates similarly to BB6 and BB7 and even all the way back to BB4. There are differences here and there but the for the most part they are the same. I look forward to BB10 and the complete overhaul and changes. It will mean an actually learning process for all of us. That is something to be excited about
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-12-12 10:02 AM
    For me it's more a matter of not wanting anything to do with devices and/or platforms that aren't BlackBerry or RIM. I stick with what I like, and I couldn't care less about any apple or android os product. In fact, it's tiring to see one of the commercials or to read something in which someone is glorifying them. I'm the same way with computers, but there's less fatigue because there's less media hype and instigation of masses. I like my BlackBerry, I like my ThinkPad, and that's that.
    05-12-12 10:18 AM
    Not fatigue for me either. As someone who is interesting in smartphones, I enjoy hearing about all the new releases and internal upgrades that are being released.

Do I like hearing that a phone that released a week after mine has much better specs? Absolutely not. But this is how technology is moving now. As long as you are happy with what you have, that is all that matters.
    05-12-12 11:31 AM
    Not Fatigued as I don't seek out the developments of Android / nor iPhone products,

I get the details as I need them, but since I don't enjoy eithers UI, their specs or rumors don't really matter to me.
    05-12-12 11:47 AM
    I can understand what the OP is saying. There are so many devices coming out all the time that it can become old. Starting to think that it may be best to chill out on the rumors/news of the new devices until it is actually time for me to get one.
    05-12-12 11:51 AM
    Not here. I'm pretty into mobile tech, i like reading about news about everything happening in the mobile industry. I do like to try out different phones as well, learning about a new OS, how to get the best out of it...etc.
    05-12-12 01:08 PM
    I am with you OP. 100%. I actually do not even want a bb10 phone as I am happy with what I have. In fact I just picked up a used bold and will be moving back to that from my torch 9850.

The only real reasons I am anxious for BB10 to drop is to a) get it on my playbook and b) hopefully see RIM kick the other platforms in teeth with some bada$$ new tech. Lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-12-12 01:52 PM
    The podcast guys blame Samsung for it, last week they were discussing some new Samsung phone, this week the new Galaxy 3.

They also blame Samsung for never giving dual core a chance and quickly going to four cores.
    05-12-12 02:03 PM
    The podcast guys blame Samsung for it, last week they were discussing some new Samsung phone, this week the new Galaxy 3.

They also blame Samsung for never giving dual core a chance and quickly going to four cores.
    They blame Samsung? Samsung used a dual core Exynos for their Galaxy S 2, and the US version of the SGS3 is said to have the Snapdragon S4, which is dual core (S4 has built in LTE connectivity). The international version however is quad core (due to absence of LTE globally), and HTCs One series released before it which is quad core as well. The US versions of the One series are using the S4 dual core just like the Samsung devices.

If anything, I would blame Nvidia for the quad core push. Quad core Tegra was around while the Galaxy S3 was just a rumor. I believe ASUS had the first device.

I do however blame Samsung for making a very cheap looking Galaxy S3.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-12-12 at 02:16 PM.
    05-12-12 02:14 PM
    They blame Samsung? Samsung used a dual core Exynos for their Galaxy S 2, and the US version of the SGS3 is said to have the Snapdragon S4, which is dual core (S4 has built in LTE connectivity). The international version however is quad core (due to absence of LTE globally), and HTCs One series released before it which is quad core as well. The US versions of the One series are using the S4 dual core just like the Samsung devices.

If anything, I would blame Nvidia for the quad core push. Quad core Tegra was around while the Galaxy S3 was just a rumor. I believe ASUS had the first device.

I do however blame Samsung for making a very cheap looking Galaxy S3.
    LMAO, your point proves exactly why some of us are suffering from device fatigue

I just got a sore head reading that
    05-12-12 02:22 PM
    LMAO, your point proves exactly why some of us are suffering from device fatigue

I just got a sore head reading that
    I know, right? Haha

Yea, it is very hard to keep up with all this tech. New things are coming out so quickly. For those of us who are interested in it all, it really isn't that big of a deal because this is what we like (like keeping up with sports stats, cars and other things that people like as hobbies or enthusiasts). For those who like reading about new things, but not all the time, I recommend not reading the articles as they will only confuse people further.

BB users have never really had to worry about the new tech though since RIM has been slower to adapt than others. But now with BB10, that may be changing a little. It still will not matter to the majority of consumers though.

Most of these spec articles are targeted at Android users since Android devices are the ones that utilize the majority of the hardware and newer tech out there. Apple sticks to their processor per iPhone, and I am thinking RIM is going to be sticking to a certain model as well. Android users on the other hand, have different internals within the same manufacturers. It's a little like the world of PCs.
    05-12-12 02:40 PM
    Yes the OP has a good point. I believe it's the "interest cycle". Whatever you are currently interested in buying, or have bought. Be it houses, cars, laptops, tablets, phones, jobs etc.

There is a tendency to completely immerse yourself in the subject until you understand it to your satisfaction and then, move on to the next "interest" and a new cycle.
    05-12-12 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD