Hi,

I am pretty sure I will be going with the Curve 9310 on Boost Mobile. I currently have a Curve 8530 on Virgin Mobile USA, but want to upgrade to that device. My question is, will I have any issue switching the devices, because it would be a new device, a new account with Boost, and thus a new BIS account on RIM's end. All I need to know is will I be able to just backup and move my BBM contacts and groups via the normal ways, like through the SD card? I don't have BBM 7 due to it being incompatible with my current device, so I don't know if they are synced with my BBID or not. I would activate the new BB while I still have a few days left of service on the old BB, will this be an issue at all? I don't need to move anything from the other BIS though, just get my BBM contacts and groups working on the new device, email and anything else I just want to setup new with it.

Thank you
    12-14-12 09:35 AM
    Once you get your new phone, connect your 8530 to BlackBerry Desktop Manager and perform a "Device Switch" and just follow the instructions. I have done this for my last 3 devices as well as countless friends and family and I have never encountered a problem doing it this way.

This is the easiest way that I know of to do this.
    12-14-12 09:53 AM
    If all you want is your BBM contacts and conversations, then connect your 8530 to BBDM and do a "Backup" of it. Then once you are ready to switch to your new 9310, connect it to BBDM and do a "Restore" but a custom restore where you can choose what you want. Select the most recent backup of your 8530 and then select what info you would like to restore to your 9310.
    12-14-12 09:55 AM
    Once you get your new phone, connect your 8530 to BlackBerry Desktop Manager and perform a "Device Switch" and just follow the instructions. I have done this for my last 3 devices as well as countless friends and family and I have never encountered a problem doing it this way.

This is the easiest way that I know of to do this.
    I like starting clean slate with my devices, and just want my bbm on the new device. Is there anyway just to get my BBM contacts and groups on the new device?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    12-14-12 09:56 AM
    I like starting clean slate with my devices, and just want my bbm on the new device. Is there anyway just to get my BBM contacts and groups on the new device?

Back it up and do a partial restore, restoring only the BBM related information.
    12-14-12 10:24 AM
    Back it up and do a partial restore, restoring only the BBM related information.
    Ok, thank you. So it shouldn't matter that it's a different device or carrier?

12-14-12 11:02 AM
    Ok, thank you. So it shouldn't matter that it's a different device or carrier?
    No matter. Swap away.
    12-14-12 01:43 PM
    I have one more question. How do I remove a old device from my BBID? Does it just do it for me automatically when I sign into the new BB? I know how to remove a device from BB Protect, by doing that will it remove the device from my BBID? Are devices even associated with the BBID at all, or just the services like BB Protect, app world etc?

12-15-12 12:26 PM
    I have one more question. How do I remove a old device from my BBID? Does it just do it for me automatically when I sign into the new BB? I know how to remove a device from BB Protect, by doing that will it remove the device from my BBID? Are devices even associated with the BBID at all, or just the services like BB Protect, app world etc?

Signing in associates the new device with your BBID.
    12-15-12 01:31 PM
    I would offer this advice about BBM. Make sure to let everyone know you're going to switch your device and ask for their PINs. Otherwise you might lose a few people, some times it happens. We do the same thing with our groups, let the Admin know you're switching, so they can invite you back.
    12-15-12 01:32 PM
    I would offer this advice about BBM. Make sure to let everyone know you're going to switch your device and ask for their PINs. Otherwise you might lose a few people, some times it happens. We do the same thing with our groups, let the Admin know you're switching, so they can invite you back.
    Yeah, I plan to do that. Will I lose access to the BBM on the old device if I still have a few days of service on it? Does moving the BBM to the new device delete it on my old device?

12-15-12 02:33 PM
    No,you can begin using BBM right away as long as you have a BIS plan, but its hard to explain how the BBM restores contacts. It will have the new PIN for you, and some of your contacts will see you as active, but their BBM list will have your old PIN. For example, Bill and I both had Riki as a contact on BBM. We knew she was getting a device replacement. We could both send her messages when she replaced her phone. I immediately messaged her to send me the new PIN, Bill didn't. So Bill couldn't invite her back to the group, but I was able to send the re-invite to her.

Some people lose the groups when they change phones, so that's why you should have someone ready to receive your new PIN and re-invite you.
    12-15-12 02:46 PM
    No,you can begin using BBM right away as long as you have a BIS plan, but its hard to explain how the BBM restores contacts. It will have the new PIN for you, and some of your contacts will see you as active, but their BBM list will have your old PIN. For example, Bill and I both had Riki as a contact on BBM. We knew she was getting a device replacement. We could both send her messages when she replaced her phone. I immediately messaged her to send me the new PIN, Bill didn't. So Bill couldn't invite her back to the group, but I was able to send the re-invite to her.

Some people lose the groups when they change phones, so that's why you should have someone ready to receive your new PIN and re-invite you.
    Ok, I am an admin of one of the groups, will i be able to use my old device to invite the new device? Or do I lose my BBM when I switch to the new device? The old device would still have service for a few days even after switching to the new one.

12-15-12 03:16 PM
    Ok, I am an admin of one of the groups, will i be able to use my old device to invite the new device? Or do I lose my BBM when I switch to the new device? The old device would still have service for a few days even after switching to the new one.

Are you going to have 2 active BIS plans? If so, maybe it would work, but our group always has 3 or 4 Admins, so we can keep our group together, especially since someone might lose a phone or need to replace one, we are prepared.
    12-15-12 03:24 PM
    Are you going to have 2 active BIS plans? If so, maybe it would work, but our group always has 3 or 4 Admins, so we can keep our group together, especially since someone might lose a phone or need to replace one, we are prepared.
    I have appointed 1 other admin a while ago, so that shouldn't be an issue.

12-15-12 06:59 PM