Hi Folks,
    I just wanted to share something which I have been thinking about recently (being a developer myself, albeit for other mobile platforms).

After RIM announcing the lower price tiers in AW (0.99 especially) and all the talk about a mobile ad house, I start to worry a bit. Could it be that RIM wants to enter the price game, making developers correlate their prices closer and closer to free and look for "alternate" revenue sources?

Traditionally, RIM was a market where developers could make a good living. Are you sure that RIM really should give this up?
    08-22-10 04:39 PM
    RIM is all about making profit. I highly doubt that they are subscribing to your theory. If anything, I think they'd rather have more paid apps than free in AppWorld.
    08-22-10 04:45 PM
    I think the idea is volume... Better to sell 3,000 at 99 cents each than only 500 at $2.99. Welcome to the Walmart generation. Do you read the forums here much? Ever since App World was kicked off people have been grumbling about having to pay there times as much as iPhone apps minimum charge. . Also I think some of the free apps that are more popular could be bumped up to the minimum.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 08:16 PM
    Well if mobile phone compoanies would make their services more affordable like Zoom Mobile www.zoom4texas.zoommobile.net then we could afford to buy apps. But everyone wants our money. With Zoom Mobile if you get 3 people to sign up and use their service Yours is FREE! I mean if you didn't have to pay a cell phone bill every month you could buy ALL THE APPS YOU WANT and this wouldn't even be an issue for RIM or anyone else.. Everyones so greedy though.

Last edited by cherryjuice; 08-22-10 at 11:22 PM.
    08-22-10 11:03 PM
    Pyramid scam / mlm phone service?

08-22-10 11:47 PM
    Nope it's mobile phone comany that launched recently and I personally think it's a great company so far.. Damn sure beats Metro POS..

08-23-10 12:31 AM
    And it's available in all US Cities as well so there's no "I can't get service in this area" as I mentioned they do run on the top 3 networks towers. The point of this thread though is lower app prices and that's something we call all use as well as lower cell phone service.. I think they both gop hand in hand myself

08-23-10 06:16 PM
    I think lowering the price minimum to $0.99. was a wrong move by App World. I bet more people will not buy an app because it is $0.99 as opposed to $2.99. Seems like it will drive many developers out of the business which will be counter productive for RIM, resulting in few apps being developed for BlackBerry.
    08-24-10 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD