hey guys
    i have a telus bold 9700
    I ran into water damage... the phone was in my bathroom when i answered if while getting out of the shower.... apparently that was enough to ruin it... it there any way to determine what is damaged?
    the issue was with the display clicking on and off ect.
    once turned on the units display is grey with line facing up and down.
    Last edited by dom08; 05-10-11 at 01:29 AM.
    05-10-11 01:17 AM
    Take off the back, and there are two little patches of white, if they're no longer white, that means if they're pink. That's water damage, that's how I have always determined.

By getting out of the shower do you mean you head still wet or the water still running?
    05-10-11 06:33 AM
    Many people have had luck putting a wet cell phone in a container of dry rice, which absorbs humidity. The cover should be off and the battery can be put in the rice separately. Leave it for a day and cross your fingers.
    05-10-11 08:55 AM
    05-10-11 09:37 AM
    Many people have had luck putting a wet cell phone in a container of dry rice, which absorbs humidity. The cover should be off and the battery can be put in the rice separately. Leave it for a day and cross your fingers.
    Yes, and Yes... I would put the device, cover, and battery in dry rice, in a ziploc bag for at least 48 hours... then clean the device throughly with alcohol, and put it in rice for another 24 hours...

then try powering it up, with your fingers crossed...
    05-10-11 12:45 PM
    Rather than rice, I would suggest Silica dessicant. You can purchase it at a gun shop, D ick's Sporting Goods, Cabela's, or any store that sells guns.
    05-10-11 12:49 PM
    eh..... its dead.... tried the above when it happened 2 weeks ago (did the rice right away) is there any knowledge on what is replaced when there is water damage?
    05-10-11 02:17 PM
    eh..... its dead.... tried the above when it happened 2 weeks ago (did the rice right away) is there any knowledge on what is replaced when there is water damage?
    You mean, besides the whole thing?

That's one sensitive phone. Several years ago, my wife dropped her Pearl in the toilet (post flush, thank goodness). Complete water dunk. She took it out, took the back off and battery out, and waited for me to get home. I took it completely apart down to the main board with LCD screen - which had a diagonal wet streak running across and behind the glass. I set the board up in a small shallow cup under an incandescent desk lamp along with the rest of the parts. Not too close, but enough to keep things warm. Left it there for about 2 days.

After those two days, that wet streak was gone. I put it back together, stuck the battery back in (complete with red X's on moisture indicator - of course, the phone's own moisture indicator was nice and bright red, too), and it booted right up. Used that phone for another year and a half.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 06:30 PM
    You mean, besides the whole thing?

That's one sensitive phone. Several years ago, my wife dropped her Pearl in the toilet (post flush, thank goodness). Complete water dunk. She took it out, took the back off and battery out, and waited for me to get home. I took it completely apart down to the main board with LCD screen - which had a diagonal wet streak running across and behind the glass. I set the board up in a small shallow cup under an incandescent desk lamp along with the rest of the parts. Not too close, but enough to keep things warm. Left it there for about 2 days.

After those two days, that wet streak was gone. I put it back together, stuck the battery back in (complete with red X's on moisture indicator - of course, the phone's own moisture indicator was nice and bright red, too), and it booted right up. Used that phone for another year and a half.

Another great idea ^^^

OP/others : if you are comfortable stripping down your devices (videos on youtube) you could attempt to clean the board, connectors, chips etc... With alcohol and a qtip.. Usually damage is caused by mineral deposits left behind by the evaporated water...I wouuld do 48 hours in rice right after the water, then strip down and clean everything. let the alcohol dry for a few hours, and then repeat the rice (use new rice) for another 24h to be safe... IMO

05-10-11 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD