I am re-installing a blackberry to my system. I used to have acces to BES but no longer so my current install is a stand alone utilizing the desktop redirector. When I install desktop manager v4.2 there is no redirector icon. I can access the redirector program but is it still showing as tied to my old BES which is no longer valid. I cannot purge messages either. It shows a status of "running" but it actually isn't.

How do I clear old configuration so that I can use this now?
    WHy isn't reh redirector icon showing up in the desktop manager?
    01-30-08 02:12 PM
    I would suggest wiping out handheld and setup ur device again... this wll remove your BES services on the device.
    01-30-08 04:49 PM
    Thank you -whats the best way to do that and not loose all the sw applications I have installed?
    01-31-08 12:15 PM
    Wipe handheld does not remove any apps, just any other Data that you added after activating your BlackBerry, like emails, contacts, etc....

Options/Settings -> Security Options -> General Settings -> Press on Menu and select Wipe Handheld...

Just make a backup of these data and after everythings sorted do an Advanced Restore where u select only those items u need... You dont want the BES services back on ur device..
    01-31-08 08:01 PM
    well I tried this but the blackberry redirector status is still showing (trobb01) Running. but nothing happens. It won't let me purge messages and I think it is still looking for BES
    02-01-08 03:18 AM
    FWIW, I'm havintg the same issue here. I downloaded Blackberry express just to see if it would be a good fit for our environment - which is currently running only 4 users on blackberries. I tried it on my own blackberry, and decided it wasnt going to work for us. When I tried to go back to desktop redirector, I'm stuck with the redirector trying to contact the (no longer running) BESx server. I've reinstalled the desktop software and wiped out my service books and such to no avail.

There's got to be somewhere that BESx modified my account to tell it that it is the server. Maybe in exchange? Extended attribute or something?
    02-04-08 03:10 PM
    Still fighting this one, any help would be great.

Here's what I've done.

I've visited Blackberry's website and found documents on how to do a "clean uninstall" of both the desktop software AND the Blackberry Express server. Done those things.

My redirector still thinks it's connected to my old BESx server. This is very odd, because if I truly did a clean install as described in the documents, there's no way it should have any idea of anything about an old BESx server. It also already knew my PIN without having connected my device! strange.

So, to test, I took another computer, never had any blackberry software installed, and used another username to login. I installed the blackberry desktop, and connected the mail profile to that user's mailbox. Everything was working as suspected - it had no idea about the old BESx server, and didnt know the PIN for my blackberry.

Now, if I change the mail profile of that other user to log into MY email box, the redirector starts looking for the old BESx server - AND my PIN!.

So, its obvious that blackberry has stored some of that information someplace IN exchange. Can't find it for the life of me.

Any help would be fantastic.
    02-15-08 11:30 AM
    looks like we are having the same problem. I used a new laptop and a clean BB but the Desktop redirector still thinks BES is out there. I was told that there is a link somewhere on the server side but since I don;t have access to any of that I don;t think there is a way to fix it. SOmehow I think there is a link attached to my exchange profile that hasn't been disconnected. I finally gave up and uninstalled redirector and am just using BIS.
    02-15-08 12:02 PM
    I Had the same issue this week, Turned out that the problem was on the BES side.. I would check with your BES admin person to ensure that you are no longer listed in the BES. this is the only way that I know of that the redirector would have the BES info listed.
    05-12-09 12:24 PM
    This is still killing me

We've removed the BES server 3 years ago, and still my exchange profile is linked to it.

The fact that it is a known problem that has been going on for years, and the fact that RIM still would not allow you to override the settings in the blackberry redirector is a strong indication that this is nothing more than a twist-arm practice by RIM to prevent corporates from ditching their BES and allow users to do desktop redirection if they wish to continue using BB devices.

I personally had to go with Astrasync for ActiveSync connection, but as I moved to a Storm 2, Astrasync is no longer good as it slows it down a lot and drain the battery (it was working perfectly on the Curve 8520/8900 and the Bold 9700 after that).
    12-22-09 04:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD