I know what you are thinking, another on a blackberry forum who obviously hates blackberry. This is actually not the case I have been a very very LOYAL blackberry user for more than 10 years. Here is my story, literally writing this as I am on the phone with Playbook support.

I currently have a Blackberry Bold 9650, which I like very much, but ordered my new Blackberry Bold 9930 which I WAS excited about. I also have a 32 GB blackberry Playbook that I have had since the week it was released last year. I, like most everybody else, was a bit disappointed with some of the obvious problems (spell check, copy and paste, lack of apps, etc), but for the most part I actually really liked my Playbook and the bridge function.

I have been anticipating the release of 2.0, and have been mildly happy with it. The task application still does not work, because I can't hide completed tasks, which is something my phone does, I can't organize book marks, and a couple of other things, but overall, not too bad. All of these things can be overlooked one at a time, but crap keeps piling up. Little things here and there start to get very frustrating. The delay of releasing new phones (yes I know the new touch screen bold and software 7.0 is cool, but let's not kid ourselves that this is anything more than minor upgrades), the still lacking pieces of my Playbook, and to top it off terrible technical support on my playbook.

I am literally on hold with technical support in my 233rd minute of trying to get desktop manager to recognize my Playbook. It recognizes my Bold just fine, but will not recognize my Playbook. The computer does not even recognize it as being connected as a USB device. It is charging it, but that is it. Tech support has had me turn off wifi, turn the playbook off and connect it, and nothing is working. They have had me uninstall and reinstall my desktop manager software twice, that has not worked. The technicians know very little and will not take the time to listen when I talk. I have been transferred now three times, all three just run down their checklist and can't help me. When I do plug my playbook in while powered down, a message comes up briefly telling me it can't connect to the device. The message goes away so quickly that I never have time to read what it is saying. One of the technicians had me hit update quickly, I didn't realize that this was going to wipe my tablet and reinstall the EXACT same version of the software that I already had. After it did this I asked if she knew it was going to wipe it and she said, yes, and asked why I hadn't backed it up. I asked her if she was kidding, she wasn't.

It all adds up, RIM is a failing company who is disconnected from their customers. This makes me very sad, but I am fed up. If someone happens to know what the problem is or how to fix it, please let me know, otherwise:

I am going to send my new bold back and get something else, not sure what. I don't want an IPhone, because I need an actual keyboard. I am also going to sell my Playbook.
    03-06-12 03:17 PM
    Can I just ask, what did the 9900 do? Your 9650 seems to have served you well, you say you need a physical keyboard, why not give it a chance? Yes RIM screwed the pooch on the PB but maybe that hot new 9900 can gain you back?
    03-06-12 03:25 PM
    Sorry to hear about your troubles and hope someone here can help you. Perhaps posting in the PB section may help.
    03-06-12 03:28 PM
    Wow, that's pretty bad tech support.

But, I would say that it although all companies strive to have great standardized and professional tech support the reality is most just stick to a checklist of questions/answers, a script, and a demeanor that is somewhat justified by the current occupation that have.

That doesn't excuse this particular persons shoddy "support" but this thing happens with all companies. Still I would complain and get the call raised as high as you can and demand compensation. That is the very least RIM can do.

Don't go guns ablazing though, you'll get nothing that way.
    03-06-12 03:41 PM
    Well, I'm going to say...

Some number of users of every single brand out there have had a bad support experience today. The law of large numbers catches up with you. We are debating on the fringes... Blackberry sold (large number difficult to comprehend) today, brand A sold (another large number difficult to comprehend), brand B sold (another large number difficult to comprehend), and brands C through M combined sold more than any of them.

Throw 5% of those buyers at tech support on a given day, with a difficult to comprehend large number of support reps each with a knowledge base of a million articles and...

It's gonna happen, someone on a Blackberry/Apple/Nokia/Samsung/HTC/etc. will have a REALLY bad experience. Today it was you, and that may change your opinion forever, but when you roll the dice tomorrow on a brand _____ and have only good experiences, it may be luck as much as a superior product.

My $.02.
    Majestic Lion likes this.
    03-06-12 03:42 PM
    So, just as an update. They think the BIOS (I think that is what they said) is bad, so after over 300 minutes on the phone, I have to send it off to RIM to get fixed. At least I hope they aren't going to just send me a refurbished one, but who knows.
    03-06-12 03:44 PM
    I had similar issue when connecting Playbook to the Desktop. Before connecting to the desktop, Disable the Wifi on your playbook. Connect the Playbook to the Desktop using USB. This should download the drivers required for the PC to access Playbook and then the Blackberry desktop application would be able to recognise the Playbook.

For just to be sure disable the Bluetooth as well.

I hope it would work for you
    03-06-12 03:45 PM
    I had similar issue when connecting Playbook to the Desktop. Before connecting to the desktop, Disable the Wifi on your playbook. Connect the Playbook to the Desktop using USB. This should download the drivers required for the PC to access Playbook and then the Blackberry desktop application would be able to recognise the Playbook.

For just to be sure disable the Bluetooth as well.

I hope it would work for you
    I tried this, it didn't work. We turned wifi off and on, bluetooth off and on, connected and reconnected powered on, powered off, it seems to be that there is something missing from the system BIOS.
    03-06-12 04:11 PM
    Well, I'm going to say...

Some number of users of every single brand out there have had a bad support experience today. The law of large numbers catches up with you. We are debating on the fringes... Blackberry sold (large number difficult to comprehend) today, brand A sold (another large number difficult to comprehend), brand B sold (another large number difficult to comprehend), and brands C through M combined sold more than any of them.

Throw 5% of those buyers at tech support on a given day, with a difficult to comprehend large number of support reps each with a knowledge base of a million articles and...

It's gonna happen, someone on a Blackberry/Apple/Nokia/Samsung/HTC/etc. will have a REALLY bad experience. Today it was you, and that may change your opinion forever, but when you roll the dice tomorrow on a brand _____ and have only good experiences, it may be luck as much as a superior product.

My $.02.
    I 100% agree with your logic, and I actually am not upset that the PB needs to be sent in. I understand that given a large enough number, something will mess up, it was my bad luck that that something happened to be my PB. That does not excuse bad technical support. Bad technical support is having to have multiple phone calls, being transfered multiple times, spending more than 5 hours on the phone, having my tablet erased without warning and without any sort of real apology, or effort to retain my business. It is perfectly fine for things to go wrong with products, but as a consumer I expect to be treated respecfully and promptly with someone who knows what they are doing. Other companies may do the same thing, and if that occurs I will vote with my dollars then the same way I am voting with them now and I will not support that company. There is a reason that RIM continues to sink in the US market.
    03-06-12 04:17 PM
    What OS are you using, do you have another computer to try it on? I had a problem with my iphone, couldn't get recognized for the life of me on a particular computer, but one another it was not a problem. Meanwhile, on the one that didn't work for me, my wife's phone was recognized right away. It can definitely be frustrating.

Good luck with your issue, hope you are able to resolve it.
    03-06-12 05:01 PM
    Some are destined to have most of the problems.
    03-06-12 05:08 PM
    What kind of firewall are you using? For me the problem was the firewall. I use Zone Alarm with Win 7 Pro. I had to temporarily turn ZA off then my playbook was recognised. Once on then I reenabled firewall & all good now.
    03-06-12 05:36 PM
    It's normal to be upset if something does not work like you want. But in most of the situation you have to stay calm. Try to fix the problem, call for help or try to find help in forums. Be rational, tell them what does not work and how can they help you? If everything you tried doesn't work, you always can go buy something else. Better avoid tell ppl why you dislike this and that and why this company sux. Because most of the time you would get responds like "o.o; well that sucks, mine works" or "I don't know what you are talking about". You may be the unlucky one out of millions. Good ppl just do and don't try to find reasons to make something looks bad so you don't feel bad when you get something new. You don't have to feel bad because when things don't work, you have to make them work or just go get other things that work for you.
    03-06-12 06:17 PM
    I had the same problem. Try another computer. Turn off anti-virus / firewall.
    03-06-12 06:34 PM
    It's normal to be upset if something does not work like you want. But in most of the situation you have to stay calm. Try to fix the problem, call for help or try to find help in forums. Be rational, tell them what does not work and how can they help you? If everything you tried doesn't work, you always can go buy something else. Better avoid tell ppl why you dislike this and that and why this company sux. Because most of the time you would get responds like "o.o; well that sucks, mine works" or "I don't know what you are talking about". You may be the unlucky one out of millions. Good ppl just do and don't try to find reasons to make something looks bad so you don't feel bad when you get something new. You don't have to feel bad because when things don't work, you have to make them work or just go get other things that work for you.
    Not sure I totally follow what you are saying, but I think the basics are don't complain, tell them what is wrong and find something that works? I agree to an extent, but I paid money for the PlayBook and extended support so I think it is okay to expect help. I posted to crackberry, because these forums are an outlet to discuss RIM good and bad, I would think. I may be just as likely to find someone who can help as someone telling me their PB works fine. I spent 5 hours talking with RIM, calmly about what was going on. I am venting my frustration here, hoping crackberry is intended at least in part to be a place where issues are stored. If someone later has the same problem maybe knowing what I went through will allow them to skip some steps.
    03-06-12 06:46 PM
    I had the same problem. Try another computer. Turn off anti-virus / firewall.
    I have McCaffe (sp) and disabled it, but I must confess I am not very tech savvy. Where would I turn the firewall off? Maybe that will fix it. Is it possible that the system BIOS is bad? I don't know what that means, but I believe that is what they ended up diagnosing the problem with.
    03-06-12 06:49 PM
    @ jkueven

I'm really sorry. Please don't take it too personal. But don't be too angry. It wouldn't help you and the ppl who try to help you. Hope things will work out well for you.
    03-06-12 07:07 PM
    @ jkueven

I'm really sorry. Please don't take it too personal. But don't be too angry. It wouldn't help you and the ppl who try to help you. Hope things will work out well for you.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    03-06-12 07:10 PM
    If you disabling your antivirus you should disconnect from the internet before doing so. Some of those bugs instantly jump on an unprotected computer.

How to Disable a McAfee Firewall | eHow.com
    jkueven likes this.
    03-06-12 07:20 PM
    OP, you have my admiration for coming here and posting calmly and politely about your ordeal. That was terrible support.

FIVE HOURS. Good Lord. Next time, raise a stink and demand to be transferred to the next level.
    03-07-12 01:44 AM
    I havn't read the responses but I had an issue where my pc couldn't detect my playbook but would charge it. I had the usb to the playbook plugged into a usb extender which for some reason wouldn't allow the pc to see the playbook or work with it properly.

My best bet would be to try changing usb sockets and make sure it is a direct connection between the pc and playbook, a usb splitter or similar might cause an issue. Worth a try if you havn't considered this yet.

If that doesnt work, try it on a different pc. If that works then it is likely to be something wrong with the pc. Most likely the USB drives need updating or motherboard bios needs updating.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-07-12 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD