Dell laptop
    Windows XP
    DM 4.3 (came with phone)
    BB Pearl 83xx
    DM 4.3x (from CD from Verizon, the carrier)

DM and BB had been syncing just fine thank you.
    Then something changed. I *think* I changed an appt on my BB calendar.
    But not sure that's the change that caused the following to happen at one or the other of the following times:
    a) in the middle of a calendar sync
    b) as soon as the DM detects the BB is connected (i.e., if I run DM first then connect the BB)

It won't crash if the BB is disconnected.

"BlackBerry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I googled this problem and found some advice about clearing off the BB data (calendar and contacts and tasks) and re-syncing. I did this. Now my BB is empty of appts and contacts and tasks and it still crashes DM when it's connected to the computer.

Complicating (contributing?) factor.
    Installation CD was on another laptop that was stolen.
    I.e., installed DM on old laptop; purchased new laptop; installed DM on new laptop. Synced for one day. New laptop stolen from office AFTER FIRST DAY (with CD inside it). Resumed using old laptop til replacement comes in. Old Laptop's existing DM worked for a few syncs then started the problem above.

Have downloaded DM 4.3 from web site as well as instructions for how to completely uninstall old DM from laptop.

Before I go that route, I just wanted to check to see if I have any other options.

Advice? Thanks.

-- Jillaine
    10-16-08 08:34 AM
    I had similar issues some times ago.
    I did upgrade my DM to 4.6 version and problem stopped.
    Try that and see if helps. 4.6 is much more stable version.
    10-16-08 08:42 AM
    I found the answer here (URL bastardized because I don't have 10 points yet):

www blackberryforums com
    rim-software
    75664-blackberry-desktop-manager-has-encountered-problem-needs-close-we-sorry.html

See response #15
    It worked for me (so far).
    10-16-08 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD