Is there anyway around this? They claim I need a windows mobile enabled device. There has got to be a plug in or some way for me to get my outlook emails on my blackberry.

I know I can snyc from my desktop but this does me no good for new emails when I am on the road nor can I respond.

Any advice would be appreicated. Thanks.
    02-17-10 07:42 AM
    Get a windows mobile device. They have ActiveSync enabled on the Exchange server and no BES. If you truly need your emails on the road, you need a solution supported by your IT dept.
    02-17-10 07:54 AM
    I know the company i work uses a Microsoft Exchange Server to supply it's employees with E-Mail.

All we needed to know was
    1) our Servers web address
    2) our log in name
    3) our pass word
    4) or mail box name (which can be different that your log in name)

and we were ready to go.

if you should go through your SetUp Email wizard on your device it should prompt to enter all that information.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 08:22 AM
    I did all that and it will not communicate witht the exchange server.

My wife just bought this blackberry and cannot return it so I am not going to purchase a windows mobile device. Unfortunately she didn't check with them first so it is her fault but ....... now I have to deal with it.

Your company might have some blackberry add on to their exchange server.

I work in IT but not this area - I am clueless.
    02-17-10 08:52 AM
    I did all that and it will not communicate witht the exchange server.

My wife just bought this blackberry and cannot return it so I am not going to purchase a windows mobile device. Unfortunately she didn't check with them first so it is her fault but ....... now I have to deal with it.

Your company might have some blackberry add on to their exchange server.

I work in IT but not this area - I am clueless.
    does your work account have a Auto Forward where you could forward the emails to an account you have on the device?

02-17-10 09:53 AM
    if I do that, I am guessing I could not reply?
    02-17-10 11:20 AM
    I know the company i work uses a Microsoft Exchange Server to supply it's employees with E-Mail.

All we needed to know was
    1) our Servers web address
    2) our log in name
    3) our pass word
    4) or mail box name (which can be different that your log in name)

and we were ready to go.

if you should go through your SetUp Email wizard on your device it should prompt to enter all that information.

If POP, IMAP and/or OWA is disabled it's not going to work.

If OWA goes through an ISA server, it's not going to work.
    02-17-10 11:55 AM
    does your work account have a Auto Forward where you could forward the emails to an account you have on the device?

IT may not allow auto-forward. Or company policy may not allow auto-forward.
    02-17-10 11:56 AM
    If you have access to your e-mail though OWA, it can work; at least, it does for me. There is a great tutorial around here that walks you through the necessary steps.
    02-17-10 12:22 PM
    she can access outlook through a web browser
    02-17-10 02:43 PM
    Sounds like the new BESX option sis what they need.
    02-17-10 05:52 PM
    OWA worked like a charm. I followed the little tutorial and no problems...so far.

Just iritates me when people say "it can't be done".......IT guys are so lazy sometimes.
    02-17-10 10:25 PM
    I had the exact same experience with my IT department, was trying to set up my OWA and the guy said "Can't be done, something about security breach...". Needless to say he was wrong. Idiots.
    02-17-10 10:40 PM
    I had the exact same experience with my IT department, was trying to set up my OWA and the guy said "Can't be done, something about security breach...". Needless to say he was wrong. Idiots.
    As a network admin, I run in to users like you all the time. Know why we say "it cant be done"? Its because we dont feel like explaining things to another person for the 50th time.

He was not wrong. ANY web based app is a security breach, or do you think all the 3 letter agencies sensitive machines are offline for the fun of it?

On the other hand, maybe he's setting you up for dismissal.

He probably pegged your tech level in the first 2 minutes of talking to you, and based on your "idiots" comment, maybe he sensed your attitude and didnt like you, so he told you it "couldnt be done", knowing full well you would go ahead and do it anyway. Since any half competent admin knows EVERYTHING that you are doing on his network, boom, gotcha. Wait for a couple of days of logfiles and report you to management. Bye-Bye.

Now, if the admin is a know nothing ****, please accept my humble apologies for the entire above post
    02-17-10 11:25 PM
    As a network admin, I run in to users like you all the time. Know why we say "it cant be done"? Its because we dont feel like explaining things to another person for the 50th time.

He was not wrong. ANY web based app is a security breach, or do you think all the 3 letter agencies sensitive machines are offline for the fun of it?

On the other hand, maybe he's setting you up for dismissal.

He probably pegged your tech level in the first 2 minutes of talking to you, and based on your "idiots" comment, maybe he sensed your attitude and didnt like you, so he told you it "couldnt be done", knowing full well you would go ahead and do it anyway. Since any half competent admin knows EVERYTHING that you are doing on his network, boom, gotcha. Wait for a couple of days of logfiles and report you to management. Bye-Bye.

Now, if the admin is a know nothing ****, please accept my humble apologies for the entire above post
    As a former network admin/engineer and current CTO, I can concur (somewhat) with the majority of your post...however the level of arrogance could be toned down a bit, those in our positions have enough of a "network nazi" stigma to deal with as it is.
    02-17-10 11:43 PM
    Lol on the Network Nazi thing. "No Web for you!!"

02-18-10 12:00 AM
    Wow - i guess i started something now.......

Peter - check me if I am wrong here but.....aren't you there to support users to begin with?

As a trainer I do feel your pain having to explain some things over and over again but.........your attitude is unfortunately typical of some admins. Thinks everyone is an ***** and how dare they not understand everything that you work with on a daily basis.

Reminds me of some developers I work with - "how dare you question my tools"!! Gee.....when every user gives me a total befuddled look when I explain how a feature works......
    02-18-10 08:11 AM
    does your company use some sort of Enterprise Supported Webmail...that would be the only way if they are not ramping up with the BES solution. They more than likely would not approve any plug-ins if they existed simply for the fact that it would compromise their security. Looks like you'll be working with a Windows based phone. Sorry to hear that.
    02-18-10 08:45 AM
    If anybody can connect with their personnal Windows Mobile phone, then it may simply be that th admoin did not know.

If they are company owned WinMo phones, then his answer would be more in line with security. The company may not want emails on devices it does not control.

For those reasons, I don't publish POP or IMAP, my OWA is behind an ISA server, and OWA is only available to select users, they tend to be the ones with company issued BB. If you can make a business case why you need 24/7 access to your work emails, we'll issue a BB.
    02-18-10 09:41 AM
    Wow - i guess i started something now.......

Peter - check me if I am wrong here but.....aren't you there to support users to begin with?
    No. The IT department is there to help the company run smoothly and maximize profit, not babysit users.

As a trainer I do feel your pain having to explain some things over and over again but.........your attitude is unfortunately typical of some admins. Thinks everyone is an ***** and how dare they not understand everything that you work with on a daily basis.

I have not had to deal with users in quite some time, however YOU started off with the "IDIOTS" comment. Dont put forth weak strawman arguments to bolster your position please. So you dont understand why the company put a certain policy in place? Thats too bad, but maybe you should take it up with the VP that institued it, not the "IDIOTS" in IT.

Reminds me of some developers I work with - "how dare you question my tools"!! Gee.....when every user gives me a total befuddled look when I explain how a feature works......
    That comment has nothing to do with this discussion. In case you havent clued in yet, I took umbridge at your superior attitude that you "know better" than the company, and IT people are "IDIOTS".
    02-18-10 01:54 PM
    Actually Peter that was another user who used the term "IDIOTS". And really-who cares.

So back to the original discussion. When I log on through OWA it allows me to send emails out to non company addresses but places my other composed emails in my drafts folder. Strange. Any ideas how I could fix this?
    02-18-10 03:30 PM
    .....aren't you there to support users to begin with?
    IT is there to support the company. Sometimes that means supporting the users in their work as long as it does not interfere with supporting and safeguarding the company and its data.

Another thing to think about is the scope of their job. IT typically sets things up one or two ways so they can know in depth what they are having to support. Now if you start adding additional services to a person, they are either going to ignore it so they keep their knowledge base to a manageable amount or they are going to learn it and not be as supportive on the standard configurations. Now if you have two people asking for different configurations than the standard one, you've just made things worse. IT is easier to just chalk it down as you can't do it but if you do, you are on your own.
    02-18-10 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD