I can see android/chrome notebooks. Wither they dethrone microsoft I don't know. We'll have to see. Microsoft is worth to much money as it is. Its not it going to hurt if the doors shut. What I think with the ability of the new oses on the market for the mobile machines it'll microsoft honest and crank up the creativity a notch or 2. I don't see apple making any more ground in the laptop/notebook scene. It seems that windows7 still has a strong following in the netbooks. I have a dell insp. 10 and was at end wither to wait for the abunto or go ahead wirh win7. I'm glad I got the win7.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Microsoft isn't going anywhere, but they wont be the only game in town for the pricepoint in the near future.
    01-14-11 07:32 PM
    Microsoft isn't going anywhere, but they wont be the only game in town for the pricepoint in the near future.
    Let's hope so. Apple tried all these yrs to put microsoft on its heels and couldn't. Multiplayers in the game just make the game better. What a great time for us this will be if they can compete with windows.

01-14-11 07:41 PM
    I somewhat agree with the OP minus the playbook..

Should crackberry.com make a poll on how many people think the same as the OP and some of us?

Also, if so many people want blackberry to succeed by wanting more NOW wouldn't a petition to do so make a difference? Maybe we are not being heard.
    01-14-11 08:55 PM
    A poll might be interesting.

01-15-11 12:59 AM
    A poll might be interesting.

but proves nothing.
    01-15-11 10:12 AM
    Nothing to prove. Just interesting to see how people feel.

01-15-11 12:07 PM
    Too soon to call, I think. At some point (maybe this year), the upgrade cycle is going to slooooow down. The amount of new bells and whistles in each new phone is diminishing and will all but disappear. At that point, all phones of a certain price range being roughly equivalent spec/app wise (of course they already are, it just hasn't sunk in yet), consumers will select less based on specs/apps and more on aesthetics, battery life, reputation, brand loyalty, perceived quality. The question is in what proportion we consumers will be affected by those factors. The "iphone killer" may not be a slicker, appier, crisper touchscreen, it might be a Nokia advertized as having .001% better call quality.
    01-15-11 12:10 PM
    Just out of curiousity... Does the market share numbers include corporate blackberrys? Or just the general public.

01-15-11 02:48 PM
    Just out of curiousity... Does the market share numbers include corporate blackberrys? Or just the general public.

it Includes all sold,
    Consumer and Corporate
    01-15-11 04:09 PM
    Do you think Rim can't do these things? I'm think they can. Video phone right now is just starting to get somewhere its still so young. Why rush the market with a device that can't take full advantage? Remember the base of the function has to be commutation. I don't think it'll be long before rim has a stable hotspot. You've be enable to tether for a while and there's been an app that you van ftp over wifi for bb also. I don't think connecting multiple devices to the network with my BB does anything for me. Its clear that Rim has things up its sleeve and it's going to be cook to see how it all plays out. I don't see apple or droid pushing Rim out of business. BB are to good at what they do. For yall that don't know. They simply work.

13echo4 - It's not that BlackBerry can't do these things. The problem is that they haven't...at least not to date. Android devices have front facing cameras for video chatting & they work fine. It's simple streaming. Apple has it as well & limits it's use to WiFi connections over concerns of AT&&T's network, which is fine. BlackBerry needs to have a competitive offering or they'll continue to see their marketshare decline. Many people purchase phones based on it's features - especially those like us who follow CrackBerry!

Having a personal hotspot capability is also nothing new and revolutionary. Tethering a phone to a laptop to share the Internet connection has been around since before 3G networks were deployed. We're simply asking for the cord to be cut and for that sharing to take place using ubiquitous wifi. Not very dangerous, if you ask me.

The bottom line is that when consumers "compare" different phones, as many sites allow you to do, BlackBerry's tech specs fall short of many of the Android devices & now even the iPhone. RIM is too large & has too great a following to put out what can only be described as last years models (actually more like 18-24 months ago models). I'd like to see RIM lead with so ethnic for a change. It's been too long since I've had to have a BlackBerry in order to get feature x. Today, I libe without features to get a BlackBerry...
    01-15-11 04:12 PM
    Great post! I enjoyed reading that.

I agree with many of your points.

I too gave the iPad a test drive on a business trip not too long ago and while it was ok, I found myself looking for my laptop far too much. But for at home and out-and-about use it's pretty fantastic.

There is no question that RIM is under pressure. Unfortunately it just seems that we are all still waiting to see how they respond to it...
    Thanks for reading the lengthy rant!

I think we're in agreement! Apple has changed the game, but that RIM still has an edge in the enterprise space...for now. If Apple gets their act together, no need to hang on to my S2!

Anxiously awaiting RM's serious reply...
    Keith
    01-15-11 05:02 PM
    After owning a Samsung Captivate for a couple weeks (yes how smooth it was and all the things it could do was amazing) I have never been happy to go back to my old slow peice of crap buggy BB' Pearl Flip. Why? It's not because I'm too used to BlackBerry, it's alot of reasons. First biggest and foremost, Android is a HUGE data killer. I had to baby sit my phone making sure certain apps weren't running in fear of my data being all used up. It was just really bad, with Blackberry I never had that worry. All of you saying RIM needs to get cool apps and stuff like that, I got cool apps on the android, but really, all it is is just a TOY. I merely ended up using the Samsung Captivate just on wifi only for games and stuff. I used my Blackberry to connect me with people and as an actual PHONE. With android even their phone seems like an application. Now don't get me wrong Android is great, it just isn't for me. It seems more like an expensive toy than a phone. I like how advanced in technology they are though. It just doesn't measure up to a true meaning of a phone though which Blackberry exceeds in.
    01-16-11 01:01 AM
    I have had two different android phones, and the Palm Pre Plus. I will use the phones for about two weeks and then return to my blackberry. I am not into web browsing on the go, and I am driving all the time for my job. So when it comes to easy one handed use that does not take much attention, I rely on me BB to get it done. I dont understand this obsession with android. It is only good for web browsing.
    01-16-11 02:44 AM
    First biggest and foremost, Android is a HUGE data killer. I had to baby sit my phone making sure certain apps weren't running in fear of my data being all used up. It was just really bad, with Blackberry I never had that worry..
    No offense..but you must have a really small data plan. Android is far from a data hog..unless you're constantly leaving GPS and Facebook and Twitter on with them pulling updates every few seconds. But that's gonna hog data on ANY phone.

I have a 2Gig data plan and have yet to come even within 75% of my usage. Is Android going to use more data than a BB? Of course..because RIM compresses their data..this is widely known. But they are from from "hogs" for a normal data plan.
    01-16-11 08:49 AM
    No offense..but you must have a really small data plan. Android is far from a data hog..unless you're constantly leaving GPS and Facebook and Twitter on with them pulling updates every few seconds. But that's gonna hog data on ANY phone.

I have a 2Gig data plan and have yet to come even within 75% of my usage. Is Android going to use more data than a BB? Of course..because RIM compresses their data..this is widely known. But they are from from "hogs" for a normal data plan.
    Possibly the user travels

I sit between $1/MB and $5/MB when traveling,
    so Androids are HUGE datahogs to me, because even reading txt based emails Android is considerably heavier data usage than RIM,
    01-16-11 08:57 AM
    Nothing to prove. Just interesting to see how people feel.

The small number of responses here would be too small to draw meaningful inferences even for "interests" sakes". It's as useless as discussing rumors as if they mean something.
    01-16-11 10:20 AM
    The small number of responses here would be too small to draw meaningful inferences even for "interests" sakes". It's as useless as discussing rumors as if they mean something.
    I think a poll would be interesting as well. It would be easier to interpret what a slice of people feel than reading through 5 pages of forum posts! I thnk more people would be inclined to click on a poll response than would be willing to take time to write out a response. Some of the CB polls get thousands of responses.
    01-16-11 10:38 AM

Yes, I do have 500 MB of data. But I used my Samsung Captivate for a week or so. I used wifi WHENEVER I could which was whenever I was at home. I barely used my phone when I was away from home, had everything that could sync turned off, had background data turned off, closed whatever applications I could. By the end of a week of so, I already used up 80% of my data plan which was ridiculous. I don't even come close to that with my BlackBerry and I don't have to turn ANYTHING off on my BlackBerry. Androids ARE hogs. Come to think of it, I used my Android at home for atleast 50% of the time I had it.

Also do you ever read what the apps need access to? It's SCARY. I want to download a simple game, it needs full data access, my phone contact info, personal info on my phone, SD card info, access to modify/delete SD content... I'm sorry but I don't feel very safe with that.

Another blow to the android is battery life. Don't even get me started. Yeah never going back to an android again unless I get some expensive data plan, don't have to worry about the battery dying on me every day even though I barely touch it, and they need to shape up their security crap.
    01-16-11 04:53 PM
    Yes, I do have 500 MB of data. But I used my Samsung Captivate for a week or so. I used wifi WHENEVER I could which was whenever I was at home. I barely used my phone when I was away from home, had everything that could sync turned off, had background data turned off, closed whatever applications I could. By the end of a week of so, I already used up 80% of my data plan which was ridiculous. I don't even come close to that with my BlackBerry and I don't have to turn ANYTHING off on my BlackBerry. Androids ARE hogs. Come to think of it, I used my Android at home for atleast 50% of the time I had it.

Also do you ever read what the apps need access to? It's SCARY. I want to download a simple game, it needs full data access, my phone contact info, personal info on my phone, SD card info, access to modify/delete SD content... I'm sorry but I don't feel very safe with that.

Another blow to the android is battery life. Don't even get me started. Yeah never going back to an android again unless I get some expensive data plan, don't have to worry about the battery dying on me every day even though I barely touch it, and they need to shape up their security crap.
    You probably fret over PC security, too. Some people are excessive worriers, and others just USE THE HECK OUT OF THEIR PRODUCTS. Battery life? Hey, if it's abysmal, but you like the phone, BUY A SPARE BATTERY--they are cheap, compared to service plans. Better to solve a problem than endlessly wring one's hands over the "horror" of it all. ie, you are being overly dramatic.
    01-16-11 07:31 PM
    Ummm I am not being over dramatic, I'm just stating the truth. If I buy a phone, I don't want to have to carry a spare battery around like some loser. No I don't fret over PC security, but android has just gone too far with what they can access from you... I hate having to charge my phone twice a day for just normal usage so Blackberry is the way for me.
    01-16-11 08:40 PM
    Ummm I am not being over dramatic, I'm just stating the truth. If I buy a phone, I don't want to have to carry a spare battery around like some loser. No I don't fret over PC security, but android has just gone too far with what they can access from you... I hate having to charge my phone twice a day for just normal usage so Blackberry is the way for me.
    I carry an extended battery pack with me all the time. Nobody regards me as a loser even when they see me swapping it out. I have a seperate wifi device too.

01-16-11 08:46 PM
    oh goodness you "im done with rim" guys all sound like broken records. RIM betrayed me...Im divorcing RIM. You all are so dramatic. Its a phone, and for the record RIM isnt shooting to make you happy. Go get a toy, the people who know that a phone is used for productivity and getting things done faster use Blackberry. No one cares if it has a 1gigahertz processor or a 5 inch screen. I had the EVO and the thought of carrying that HUGE thing around one more day makes me want to throw up. They are mass produced toys for 14 year olds. Go get yourself one. We will be here when you get back!

Oh and for the record have you used a Style? Its a great device and much more comfortable than an EVO or a DROID X
    01-16-11 09:15 PM
    Ummm I am not being over dramatic, I'm just stating the truth. If I buy a phone, I don't want to have to carry a spare battery around like some loser.
    How exactly does carrying a spare battery make you a loser?
    01-16-11 09:25 PM
    Got both a bold and an incredible and if I had to choose I would go with android simply because its got a bigger screen and faster web. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I don't think there is a demise of RIM, there will always be blackberry faithful.

01-16-11 09:48 PM
    "a loser"?? You definitely have some issues to work out. (and you reinforced my notion that you are being melodramatic) My Storm does fine with one charge per day with moderate use. I sure wouldn't eschew owning a fine Android, if it meant carrying an extra battery with me. that's not that big a deal.
    01-16-11 10:52 PM
187 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD