Oh I'm going to root. But it might take 6+ months before I'm brave enough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 06:27 PM
    Take things at the right pace, and you'll be fine.
    01-13-11 06:31 PM
    This is exactly the reason I think I'll like Android. I enjoy, and use, many Google products. Mail, Search, Talk, Voice, Maps, Latitude, Sync, Buzz. I haven't tried the TP yet. But if you like their products and services you'd probably like their OSs as well. That's my thinking as I'm making the switch. Makes sense to me.

I don't understand folks who automatically hate anything that is popular. It's like they are making such an effort to be "special" or "different." Sometimes things are popular because they are good products. Not always, but that's how the market works. People buy what they like and the company makes money and more products and/or improves existing ones.

This is why I think RIM will be struggling soon.

I do agree that is it pointless to hate something purely because it is popular.

as for your use of google everything...
    I pay for google apps, and google services. but because of googles poor privacy track record, I do not use all of their services, my emails are divided across 3 providers, though my main hosted email is google apps. my search usage is divided across 3 engines, though I have nothing to hide, I don't want the data miners to get everything, and google is the biggest data miner of them all,
    I actually have started to move my mapping needs away from google to Microsoft though that is a very slow transition.

Put all your personal information and usage patterns in ONE place, and you risk if a site goes down losing everything, it hasn't happened in a while, but google outages are not unheard of.
    01-13-11 06:33 PM
    My prediction: RIM will be bust by Q2 2011.
    I think that is pushhing it a little too far. A company like RIM despite there recent short fall into the market of new devices and their poor showing at CES except for the Playbook is not going to fold up just like that.

I will say this though... Now on the front of CBs home page about Torch 2 and when I think how angry it made me when they discontinued Tour so soon before I could barely learn to like it for OH yeh the new bold(WOW). If this is the future thought process of where RIM is going then I have no apologies to anyone including RIM for dropping them and going to a new device other then a new BB. Oh that's right because there are no new BBs.

They have a long road to get back on and regain the loyalty of their customer base or they will be in serious market share trouble sooner than later.
    01-13-11 06:35 PM
    I do agree that is it pointless to hate something purely because it is popular.

as for your use of google everything...
    I pay for google apps, and google services. but because of googles poor privacy track record, I do not use all of their services, my emails are divided across 3 providers, though my main hosted email is google apps. my search usage is divided across 3 engines, though I have nothing to hide, I don't want the data miners to get everything, and google is the biggest data miner of them all,
    I actually have started to move my mapping needs away from google to Microsoft though that is a very slow transition.

Put all your personal information and usage patterns in ONE place, and you risk if a site goes down losing everything, it hasn't happened in a while, but google outages are not unheard of.
    You make a really good point here. I haven't though too much about privacy issue though I really need to start. Thanks for the reply.

I do put all my info in one place. Which is why when my first 9630 bricked (with no backup) I was pretty bummed. I had to rebuild it all. Now I make backups, in several places!

01-13-11 06:39 PM
    Oh I'm going to root. But it might take 6+ months before I'm brave enough.

Let me just say that you better do your self a favor and read everything you can and ask plenty of questions about rooting and more then anything make sure you understand it.

Why everyone wants to go out and but a brand new platform device that they have to learn to start and 6 months or not butch it up is beyond me Chrisy. You can no longer OTA any OS updates and well there are just way too many things I have no need to do other then use it as stock the way i buy it if I go that route.

I am going playing devils advocate to give you something to think about.
    01-13-11 06:39 PM
    I know what you're saying. But I've been messing with phones since 1997! I remember getting a GSM phone before there was GSM service in my area (TDMA). I must have fried my SIM card 5 times (Enter PUK) by messing with the security settings...for fun.

I like doing that. And I accept the consequences too. Like I said, it will be a while before I feel confident enough to root. But root I will. Fun stuff.

01-13-11 06:43 PM
    You make a really good point here. I haven't though too much about privacy issue though I really need to start. Thanks for the reply.

I do put all my info in one place. Which is why when my first 9630 bricked (with no backup) I was pretty bummed. I had to rebuild it all. Now I make backups, in several places!

As someone who has had his bank compromised and discovered an empty bank account when trying to buy a $1.35 coffee I pay far more attention to where my data is now.
    01-13-11 06:55 PM
    I know what you're saying. But I've been messing with phones since 1997! I remember getting a GSM phone before there was GSM service in my area (TDMA). I must have fried my SIM card 5 times (Enter PUK) by messing with the security settings...for fun.

I like doing that. And I accept the consequences too. Like I said, it will be a while before I feel confident enough to root. But root I will. Fun stuff.

Well like you said you know what you are doing and like to play with the device I can see your interest. I would not be something I would want to do and with me i would wantto be assured I can receive future updates. i don't want a custom ROm or radio and all the other things rooting allows you. The best thing to me about rooting your device is being able to get rid of all the bloat that comes preinstalled on the device when you get it.
    01-13-11 06:58 PM
    I think that is pushhing it a little too far. A company like RIM despite there recent short fall into the market of new devices and their poor showing at CES except for the Playbook is not going to fold up just like that.

I will say this though... Now on the front of CBs home page about Torch 2 and when I think how angry it made me when they discontinued Tour so soon before I could barely learn to like it for OH yeh the new bold(WOW). If this is the future thought process of where RIM is going then I have no apologies to anyone including RIM for dropping them and going to a new device other then a new BB. Oh that's right because there are no new BBs.

They have a long road to get back on and regain the loyalty of their customer base or they will be in serious market share trouble sooner than later.
    In North America they already are in serious market share trouble, globally they are still growing, and really if they are successful in India, and China they could all but ignore North America and still do quite well, THAT SAID, I really don't think they will go that way, I think 2012 will be a big year for Blackberry's RIM will make a 2011 Splash with the Playbook, and try and build an app store of some value, they WILL release a few more "refresh" phones, and continue with OS6 development, they can't completely abandon OS6 anyway, that would leave torch and 9780 users out to dry, even the tour got love 16 mouths out.
    01-13-11 07:00 PM
    As someone who has had his bank compromised and discovered an empty bank account when trying to buy a $1.35 coffee I pay far more attention to where my data is now.
    I have had this happen as well. I don't trust Google to be honest. The CEO has said if you're worried that people will find out what you're doing then you must be doing something wrong. Google has been a big lobbyist for ending net neutrality as well. The final nail in the coffin is that they used NSF money to launch their company and now they hide their profits overseas to avoid paying taxes. I avoid them as much as I can but I do have to use the email and calendar for work. I use Bing now for searches and am trying to find a different mapping app.
    01-13-11 07:04 PM
    The thing is, with things like Twitter, and other pieces of the Internet, you might as well lock your stuff up in a safe somewhere if you're that worried about security.
    01-13-11 07:21 PM
    I check my credit report annually. That's good for me. I am cautious but not worried.

01-13-11 07:25 PM
    The thing is, with things like Twitter, and other pieces of the Internet, you might as well lock your stuff up in a safe somewhere if you're that worried about security.
    Don't use twitter.

AND it isn't about locking yourself up, it is the proverbial " don't put all your eggs in one basket"

I am all for doing everything online, I have been doing the majority of my Christmas shopping online since 2002, but you leave yourself completely susceptible to losing everything when it is ALL controlled by a single entity.
    01-13-11 07:31 PM
    In North America they already are in serious market share trouble, globally they are still growing, and really if they are successful in India, and China they could all but ignore North America and still do quite well, THAT SAID, I really don't think they will go that way, I think 2012 will be a big year for Blackberry's RIM will make a 2011 Splash with the Playbook, and try and build an app store of some value, they WILL release a few more "refresh" phones, and continue with OS6 development, they can't completely abandon OS6 anyway, that would leave torch and 9780 users out to dry, even the tour got love 16 mouths out.
    Well then if this is your belief in where you feel RIM is heading and what they are planning and when they are planning on doing it especially the comment you made about what they care about, Foreign countries instead of North America then I know I personally made the right choice to switch soon as well as the many others on here who have expressed the same interest.

If you truly believe what you stated I feel bad for RIM and who cares about 2011 for the Playbook alone and some "REFRESH" phones as opposed to others coming out with the latest technology and high end processors both single and dual core with lots of internal on board memory. You also think people are goingto wait until 2012.

People that just recently bought BBs once they see what they have in store for them and i am not saying BB is a bad device, these people will break contracts and go elsewhere paying ETFs and move on.

Too bad you think this is RIMs future.
    01-13-11 07:32 PM
    Well then if this is your belief in where you feel RIM is heading and what they are planning and when they are planning on doing it especially the comment you made about what they care about, Foreign countries instead of North America then I know I personally made the right choice to switch soon as well as the many others on here who have expressed the same interest.

If you truly believe what you stated I feel bad for RIM and who cares about 2011 for the Playbook alone and some "REFRESH" phones as opposed to others coming out with the latest technology and high end processors both single and dual core with lots of internal on board memory. You also think people are goingto wait until 2012.

People that just recently bought BBs once they see what they have in store for them and i am not saying BB is a bad device, these people will break contracts and go elsewhere paying ETFs and move on.

Too bad you think this is RIMs future.
    You really think people will pay ETF's because of the NEXT phone RIM is releasing? seriously?
    People still use flip phones, people still use 71XX phones, and there are new consumers every day entering the smartphone market, you don't need to be cutting edge all the time to survive, you need to provide something some consumers will want, and right now RIM has a form factor no one else can seem to get right, they have a fantastic integrated IM client, that might not be all things to all people, but those that use it, really enjoy it, and it is the client others measure up to and try and emulate, but of course that doesn't count as RIM innovation at all....

I am not saying I like the way things are going but a LARGE volume of mobile phone users must wait until their contracts are expired before they can upgrade, their is also a large prepaid market out there, and the Curve is doing well in the low cost prepaid market, and there isn't a lot of comparable competition in that market at all. so 2012 is the year for people who purchased Blackberry's in 2010,
    01-13-11 07:40 PM
    All the phones leaked today look great, now if the rumored Storm 3 has the right specs, then RIM has some great phone on the market in all there segments.
    01-13-11 07:43 PM
    All the phones leaked today look great, now if the rumored Storm 3 has the right specs, then RIM has some great phone on the market in all there segments.
    And what would all these leaked phone be. Pretty much everyone here especially all of the long time high posters on here that have followed RIm forever and have owned many BBs like me know how RIM was a flop basically at CES and there really is not much light at the end of the proverbial tunnel anytime soon.

That is why you have so many people jumping ship, pure and simple.
    01-13-11 07:47 PM
    how can i prepare your plate of crow?

Ok, I'd just like to point out here that this chart is reflecting SALES by quarter. In actual smart phone usage, up until September BlackBerry was still #1, holding 28% of the market, ahead of Android and iPhone. Unfortunately they've since slipped into a virtual tie with iOS. So you may want to just make that a side dish of crow ... at least for this quarter.

But the other telling number from this same chart is the units sold. What it shows, besides the fact that the smart phone market is growing at a phenomenal rate, is that RIM is still selling more phones than ever. The time to really get concerned is when the year-over-year figure looks like Microsoft's.
    01-13-11 07:48 PM
    Ok, I'd just like to point out here that this chart is reflecting SALES by quarter. In actual smart phone usage, up until September BlackBerry was still #1, holding 28% of the market, ahead of Android and iPhone. Unfortunately they've since slipped into a virtual tie with iOS. So you may want to just make that a side dish of crow ... at least for this quarter.

But the other telling number from this same chart is the units sold. What it shows, besides the fact that the smart phone market is growing at a phenomenal rate, is that RIM is still selling more phones than ever. The time to really get concerned is when the year-over-year figure looks like Microsoft's.
    I saw this chart last night and read all the numbers and am not sure who your comment here is directed to?? I know what the numbers are but numbers are not always what dictates how people feel when they get tired of something they simply do what they feel is right for them. The selling numbers by RIM may be up but what this chart does not show is how many people have gone away from BB after their purchase and are now using something else.
    You really think people will pay ETF's because of the NEXT phone RIM is releasing? seriously?
    People still use flip phones, people still use 71XX phones, and there are new consumers every day entering the smartphone market, you don't need to be cutting edge all the time to survive, you need to provide something some consumers will want, and right now RIM has a form factor no one else can seem to get right, they have a fantastic integrated IM client, that might not be all things to all people, but those that use it, really enjoy it, and it is the client others measure up to and try and emulate, but of course that doesn't count as RIM innovation at all....

I am not saying I like the way things are going but a LARGE volume of mobile phone users must wait until their contracts are expired before they can upgrade, their is also a large prepaid market out there, and the Curve is doing well in the low cost prepaid market, and there isn't a lot of comparable competition in that market at all. so 2012 is the year for people who purchased Blackberry's in 2010,
    You bet ya that many people are willing to pay ETFs if they have to for many reasons....Problems repeated with the same phone(Model) that they originally bought and had to keep returning with different problems or they just got tired of the what they thought they were getting and turned out they bought the wrong device and i am sure there are many other issues.

I know the refernce you are trying to make to 2012 but I can almost gurantee that on this forum as tech savvy as many are here and I know you have read more then your share of individual comments about how people cannot wait to have a particular Android device come out and even a decent segment of ios(iphone 4 to VZW) switchers. People are going to switch contract or not as they see RIM leaning in a direction with once again a poor showing at CES for the future where others in the Android market VZW alone have shown off 12 new phones and the first LTE Android coming out very soon to VZW.

The list goes on. Spend some time as I and many others have been saying at Android Central. Go into the forums with an open mind and read what others say about their device. Read what BGR, Engadget, Android Central are saying and you might change a small portion about how you feel we feel.
    01-13-11 08:16 PM
    The fact is, is that RIM is dead in the water in the US, beyond any and all recovery. Forever. Period.

However, in places like China, Indonesia, and even the UK, where the technology isn't so advanced, RIM continues to thrive at an incredible rate. RIM is starting off the chain, although the iPhone in the UK is starting to munch into BlackBerry sales. Windows Mobile isn't even scratching the surface of the UK market, and Android is struggling to penetrate.
    01-13-11 08:56 PM
    Agreed with Evan, I have a BlackBerry Curve 8520, and the Curve 8900 dwarfs it. Even the Curve 3G isn't that brilliant.
    My problem is that I want one as a secondary device, and paying for a Bold is not an option. Those phones are not worth what they're charging for them. They're no better than a Symbian Eseries (except with BBM and an app or two I want/need that Android and Symbian don't have).
    01-13-11 10:03 PM
    Why isn't anyone worried about Samsung? Anyone seen their 4Q results...
    Samsung is all about pushing refreshes and new phones, and doesn't care about their customers.

They're about as bad when to comes to their TVs and other Electronics as well.

All businesses are like this, but Samsung is the worst scumbag company I've ever dealt with.

Everyone checking out androidcentral also should check androidforums.com Its a great resource with more action than AC sometimes.
    Too much Nazi-modding at AndroidForums. This forum is like the USA. Android Forums is like Soviet Russia. I stick to XDA, Here, and AndroidCentral.

And no offense meant by my use of that term, and I'm sure there were some good things about Soviet Russia as well...
    01-13-11 10:05 PM
    i agree xda is great too, just a little much for newbies i think lol
    01-13-11 10:13 PM
    This is not the demise of RIM! RIM might be a little slow in the North America, but RIM has been growing all over the world. RIM will make a strong presence here in North America in 2011 wait and see.
    01-13-11 10:16 PM
187 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD