Hi everyone,

I have read a lot of threads about getting "free" UMA Wi-Fi calling overseas using T-Mobile. I have read that some people can do it without additional charges and some have been charged huge bills. Does anyone truly know if this currently works and/or continue to be "free" in the future? Here it is broken up:

1. Are UMA Wi-Fi calls/text messages "free" overseas with the Mobile Network radio turned off?
    2. Are BIS services still available (i.e. emails and BBM) with Wi-Fi on and the Mobile Network radio turned off?
    3. What time determines free nights and weekends? Local time or your normal U.S. location?

"Free" meaning no additional charges for roaming and minutes/texts coming out of the plan that you have.

Please let me know if there are any addition questions I should add to this list so everyone can benefit from reading the first post.
    03-11-10 12:55 PM
    HTTP://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/BlackB...Fi/td-p/326039

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-10 03:21 PM
    1. Yes, it's free overseas...UMA calls/texts back to the US that is.

The Wi-Fi and international calls issue is something different. People were able to use certain UMA handsets and settings to make FREE international calls OUT of the US. Those people will be charged.

If you're using your UMA phone overseas on Wi-Fi to call back "home" to the US, then no, you won't be charged.

2. Yes, BIS and BBM should work overseas still with the Wi-Fi on and Mobile Network turned off. The SIM card should remain in though.

3. I'm not sure honestly. I think I would go by local time, not US time.
    03-11-10 04:47 PM
    From my experience, TMO uses US time. That is the thing for 2009. Since 2010, my travel has been within the same timezone or at least cloes enough unlike when I was in Thailand or Europe, etc last year.

I don't see TMO will change it, but you will find out from your own experience unless you get to talk to TMO rep who is truely knowledgeable.

Regarding UMA calling from overseas, so far I (within my account) have got no additional charges using UMA calling from India, Central American and South America. This is after that TMO text about UMA international calling charges.

Well, I hope it stays this way
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 03-12-10 at 02:07 AM.
    03-12-10 01:23 AM
    1. Are UMA Wi-Fi calls/text messages "free" overseas with the Mobile Network radio turned off?
    Yes (to/from the US). You don't even have to turn off the Mobile option as long as the UMA is the preferred setting on your phone and its shows that it is in UMA mode.

2. Are BIS services still available (i.e. emails and BBM) with Wi-Fi on and the Mobile Network radio turned off?
    Yes.

3. What time determines free nights and weekends? Local time or your normal U.S. location?
    Normal U.S. location -- if you go to the Tmobile site and look at your activity, you will see that UMA calls are listed with your 'home' time while roaming cell calls are listed with the 'local' time.

When dialing an international number (example calling a France number when in France) while in a foreign location when in UMA, you will be charged the same as if you dialed that number from the US (international rates apply but not roaming).

Above is based on experience in March 2010 after using phone in Costa Rica, Germany & Switzerland.
    05-13-10 06:35 PM
    I used UMA to place calls from Canada and the UK to US numbers and I was charged roaming rates for this. All of my calls correctly show up as UMA calls on my bill but I was charged nonetheless. I called TMO to complain about it, but they said that whether I used UMA or not did not matter and that I would continue to be charged international roaming. This was during the span of 5/18/10 - 5/21/10. I haven't placed any calls since my chat with customer service.

I can confirm though that the Blackberry International Email plan covers all data....I haven't been charged for any data roaming and I've been doing email/bbm/web browsing/laptop tethering.

Edit: Just got my bill and it appears that my UMA calls were NOT charged but I was charged for some data roaming. I need to call TMO and ask why. Turns out the customer service rep I talked to was an *****.
    Last edited by aedv; 05-30-10 at 10:10 AM.
    robert_in_la likes this.
    05-24-10 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD