So, every morning when I clock out from work I listen to our local conservative talk radio station 640 WHLO. A fellow named Jim Albright has "the morning show" and in his last hour, asks an email poll question. Today he was talking about FoxConn and mentioned a lot of big companies including Apple of course, as well as IBM, HP and more. He then went on to talk about the working conditions, suicide rates, and atrocious data we have on them, and the question after the commentary was "Would you be willing to pay more for your electronics, like your iPads, computers, and BlackBerries to the companies that utilize this Chinese labor if they were instead to manufacture them right here in the US."
    I wrote back saying BlackBerry products are primarily manufactured in Canada, Mexico, and Taiwan, but they do however have a lot of their accessories manufactured in China; no idea if THOSE are FoxConn or someone more reputable. I also mentioned as a sincere customer of Research In Motion, I'm glad neither my Berry or PlayBook are manufactured by FoxConn.

Of course, there was ample hatred in a lot of the emails he read off regarding Apple. Some declaring they won't buy Apple products period, while others attacked them for being one of the most profitable companies in the country and also happen to have a ZERO record for philanthropy.

Going back to the part I'm not sure of; are the BlackBerry accesories that are made in China FoxConn? Wouldn't change my loyalty to RIM one bit, but I guess I would be a bit disappointed at that particular piece of information.
    recompile likes this.
    02-06-12 09:04 AM
    As far as I know RIM has nothing to do with Foxconn and Thank God they don't.
    Mike Lazaridis was brought up in a Christian family and remains with those beliefs today so I would find it hard to believe he would go with any company who treats their employees like trash.
    Now before a religious battle ensues I am just pointing out that given Mike's track record with donations and giving back and his firm belief in God that it is unlikely in MY mind that he would have anything to do with these companies.
    02-06-12 10:42 AM
    Mike Lazaridis was brought up in a Christian family and remains with those beliefs today so I would find it hard to believe he would go with any company who treats their employees like trash.
    Now before a religious battle ensues I am just pointing out that given Mike's track record with donations and giving back and his firm belief in God that it is unlikely in MY mind that he would have anything to do with these companies.
    How do you equate belief in God with being "good" whatever that mean?

There are ample examples of people who believe in god doing atrocious things. Far more in fact than of them doing good things.

This is a BB forum and lets stick to that. Let's not bring in irrelevant things like god into the mix.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-06-12 03:10 PM
    I wrote back saying BlackBerry products are primarily manufactured in Canada, Mexico, and Taiwan, but they do however have a lot of their accessories manufactured in China; no idea if THOSE are FoxConn or someone more reputable. I also mentioned as a sincere customer of Research In Motion, I'm glad neither my Berry or PlayBook are manufactured by FoxConn.

Going back to the part I'm not sure of; are the BlackBerry accesories that are made in China FoxConn? Wouldn't change my loyalty to RIM one bit, but I guess I would be a bit disappointed at that particular piece of information.
    Unfortunately, the odds are stacked pretty high that RIM has used, is using, and will use Foxconn to manufacture some part of their phones. Foxconn has too much industry reach to believe that RIM has never done business with them.

Plus, if RIM hadn't used Foxconn at all for anything, we would have heard about it already. It would have been a good advantage to use.

Fact is, Foxconn has caught everyone tech company's hands in the cookie jar and no one is clean. Cheap parts and labor comes at a cost.
    02-06-12 03:24 PM
    If you read that TIMES article a few weeks ago you see that other major brands pay FoxConn & other chinese companies extra $$ on top of their contract. These funds have to be used exclusivly to promote the working conditions of the people making their products. They also insist on safety policies being used at those same companies. Apple does not. Foxconn & others recieve no extra $$$ from Apple to ensure their employees don't work in the death trap.

At Foxconn how safe your working conditions are depends on if your making iProducts or Dells/HPs, ect.
    02-06-12 05:52 PM
    If you read that TIMES article a few weeks ago you see that other major brands pay FoxConn & other chinese companies extra $$ on top of their contract. These funds have to be used exclusivly to promote the working conditions of the people making their products. They also insist on safety policies being used at those same companies. Apple does not. Foxconn & others recieve no extra $$$ from Apple to ensure their employees don't work in the death trap.

At Foxconn how safe your working conditions are depends on if your making iProducts or Dells/HPs, ect.
    Uniquely, Apple can extract such concessions simply by granting or denying more business. If they were smaller, they'd need to pay extra money for extra concessions, but at these volume levels...
    02-06-12 06:05 PM
    Are you kidding me?? Apple gave over $100mm to charity last year. Zero???

But, why let the facts get in the way of a good story? Right?
    02-06-12 06:07 PM
    While I'm not a fan of most Apple products and love my bb I don't see any of this info about Foxconn changing anyones opinions or decisions in the products they purchase. Fact is most people will buy what they prefer anyways no matter where of how its made. And as stated while bb may not be produced by foxconn its almost 100% true that some part of bb is made there.
    Most people in North america just flat out don't care. Even electronic aside how many of the products we use are made in China or third world countries by slave labour? Shoes, clothes, tvs, computers, everything. Its cheaper to make cheaper to sell and we all eat it up. It sucks because people are exploited and millions of jobs that could be done here in North America are shipped over seas.
    Hopefully these stories in recent weeks will change some practices but I just don't see it happening.
    I'm Canadian and would love to see all Blackberry phones and tablets made here by Canadians but unless the worlds business practices and economies are suddenly turned on its head somehow nothing is going to change
    Last edited by SnoozerBold; 02-06-12 at 06:23 PM.
    02-06-12 06:20 PM

No, I'm not an Apple hater first of all, in fact a loyal Macintosh kinda guy (assuming this "iGeneration" still calls them that) so there is no "good story", nor did I mention anything to do with that subject on the air. I would in fact like to see some proof, some source information. I've never once read anything about any specific donations to any charities. With a 13billion dollar profit line, they certainly could, I've just never heard it.
    02-06-12 10:28 PM
    No, I'm not an Apple hater first of all, in fact a loyal Macintosh kinda guy (assuming this "iGeneration" still calls them that) so there is no "good story", nor did I mention anything to do with that subject on the air. I would in fact like to see some proof, some source information. I've never once read anything about any specific donations to any charities. With a 13billion dollar profit line, they certainly could, I've just never heard it.
    Then seek out that proof. I don't do research for folks. Somewhat arrogant to say that you hadn't heard of something so, by default, it doesn't happen

Stating that Apple has given $0 to charities and using this false assumption as a device or cause for ill will just isn't cool.
    OniBerry likes this.
    02-06-12 10:48 PM
    Then seek out that proof. I don't do research for folks. Somewhat arrogant to say that you hadn't heard of something so, by default, it doesn't happen

Stating that Apple has given $0 to charities and using this false assumption as a device or cause for ill will just isn't cool.
    It also makes more sense to assume something isn't true until it is proven so. If he has seen nothing to believe apple has donated money to charity, then there's no reason to believe they have.

It's also common knowledge that one of good old Job's business decisions was to cut ALL philanthropic endeavours when he returned to Apple. Job didn't believe in it.

Now, recently Tim Cook has said otherwise as he has decided to reinstate the philanthropy projects. So its a yes and no sort of deal. In all the years Jobs was around there was no philanthropy, on the other hand Cook has started it back up, but is shouting from the roof tops that they gave away less than 0.4% of the companies 26 billion dollar profits (that's assumming 100 million in donations...). At the same time we have the retired Bill Gates giving out this much on a nearly monthly basis, and at times contributing billions all at once.

Yes Bill Gates is exceptionally wealthy, but he did not have as much money as all of microsoft, and not nearly as much as Apple. For a private citizen to donate more than the most valuable company in the world illustrates how much Apple really cares..

Edit: Bill Gates (Private Citizen) has donated >28 Billion to charity
    Apple inc. (World's largest corporation) has donated < 0.5 Billion to charity (seems more like a tax write off...probably helps out with what they actually keep in the states and don't hide in foreign accounts)
    Last edited by PlayBookUserMT; 02-06-12 at 11:45 PM.
    02-06-12 11:34 PM
    In my line of work, I rely on the goodness of others to make a living. I will say this: an outward show of philanthropy is meaningless.

Weighing how much a person cares by how much they give (or make a show of giving) is especially naive.

Note that I am not saying that money given is not needed; I am just saying that basing reputation on amount of cash donated can be very, very misleading.

Also, big business and ethics do NOT mix. That's the way it is. Shareholders want the most profit for the least amount of input.
    02-06-12 11:49 PM
    It also makes more sense to assume something isn't true until it is proven so. If he has seen nothing to believe apple has donated money to charity, then there's no reason to believe they have.

It's also common knowledge that one of good old Job's business decisions was to cut ALL philanthropic endeavours when he returned to Apple. Job didn't believe in it.

Now, recently Tim Cook has said otherwise as he has decided to reinstate the philanthropy projects. So its a yes and no sort of deal. In all the years Jobs was around there was no philanthropy, on the other hand Cook has started it back up, but is shouting from the roof tops that they gave away less than 0.4% of the companies 26 billion dollar profits (that's assumming 100 million in donations...). At the same time we have the retired Bill Gates giving out this much on a nearly monthly basis, and at times contributing billions all at once.

Yes Bill Gates is exceptionally wealthy, but he did not have as much money as all of microsoft, and not nearly as much as Apple. For a private citizen to donate more than the most valuable company in the world illustrates how much Apple really cares..

Edit: Bill Gates (Private Citizen) has donated >28 Billion to charity
    Apple inc. (World's largest corporation) has donated < 0.5 Billion to charity (seems more like a tax write off...probably helps out with what they actually keep in the states and don't hide in foreign accounts)
    So Apple doesn't care, by your sarcasm, because they don't away as much money as you believe they should. AND, they only do so for tax breaks. Oh yeah, and they hide funds in off-shore accts?

Wow. I guess I got an education today. Can't believe I've so ignorant all these years.

Drivel.
    02-07-12 12:24 AM
    So Apple doesn't care, by your sarcasm, because they don't away as much money as you believe they should. AND, they only do so for tax breaks. Oh yeah, and they hide funds in off-shore accts?

Wow. I guess I got an education today. Can't believe I've so ignorant all these years.

Drivel.
    Apple gives away far faaaar less than they are capable of. Giving away money is commonly used as a way to receive tax breaks, and its common business practice in the united states for fortune 500 companies to have money stored in foreign accounts. Its not illegal and if you do it right you pay far less taxes. If you didn't know any of this you're either a little kid, a troll, or uninformed on how the business world works.

If you don't know any of this you most certainly need to further your education, watch the news, learn to use google, or stop trolling.

Looking at the date you joined and the number of posts you have, I think its safe to say you're an ifan troll. Go back to your own forum please.

Normally I would be happy to provide sources for what I say, but as you have said above it is not your style to teach others, so please do the research yourself and look up what I have mentioned before coming back with a sarcastic and rude retort.
    Last edited by PlayBookUserMT; 02-07-12 at 01:28 AM.
    ritesh likes this.
    02-07-12 01:03 AM
    Apple gives away far faaaar less than they are capable of. Giving away money is commonly used as a way to receive tax breaks, and its common business practice in the united states for fortune 500 companies to have money stored in foreign accounts. Its not illegal and if you do it right you pay far less taxes. If you didn't know any of this you're either a little kid, a troll, or uninformed on how the business world works.

If you don't know any of this you most certainly need to further your education, watch the news, learn to use google, or stop trolling.

Looking at the date you joined and the number of posts you have, I think its safe to say you're an ifan troll. Go back to your own forum please.

Normally I would be happy to provide sources for what I say, but as you have said above it is not your style to teach others, so please do the research yourself and look up what I have mentioned before coming back with a sarcastic and rude retort.
    He may be trolling, maybe not, I see his point. He doesn't like the idea of someone assuming things. I am 30, and my kindergarten was the first in the area to have an Apple //e, and my first computer that was truly my own as a kid was a Mac SE. So, dozeneggs, I grew up with Apple. What my fellow PB user mentioned about Jobs was relatively common knowledge. I lost my heart and loyalty to Apple when the iGeneration kiddies were born, and Apple became what I like to call a "Starbucks demographic." When Steve Jobs announced they were changing the company name from "Apple Computer Inc." to "Apple Inc.", I knew "my" Apple was dead. Whilst I still use a Mac tower, I quit following Apple. The "Apple Inc" is far richer and famous than the Apple I knew, so from THAT point, no, I have no real idea on their philanthropic endeavors, but prior, there really wasn't.

I don't really care how ignorant you want to think I am, I can go from what I knew to be true in years past; I was around. You missed the original context of the post; there were some people who wrote in to the morning show attacking Apple for being one of if not the richest company now in the US, and having a poor to zero track record for philanthropy. I did not write anything on that subject in my particular email to the show, nor did he even touch on the subject while offering his commentary on mine after reading it on the air. Besides, I have nothing to prove. I use a Mac, and am a loyal customer of RIM too. I would bet my Apple love greatly predates yours, and even if i'm dead wrong, I told you already the Apple I knew died. If they turned around tomorrow and gave a billion dollars to March of Dimes, CMN, or etc, I would be proud but I still wouldn't be defending the iGeneration. If you wish to flame further, go ahead. I'm done with this conversation. All the best.
    02-07-12 03:55 AM

is that counting the $100,000 Apple "donated" to fight Prop 8 in California?
    02-07-12 04:29 AM
    I don't get this complaining about conditions in China etc. Fact is most of the people in the Developed world tend to judge other countries by their own standards of ethics and morality. You simply can't.

I live in India and am a proud Indian and see first hand the conditions of our labour force. Sure its heart wrenching but at our current state of development labor upliftment and safety takes a back seat because the only advantage we can offer the so called First World is low labor rates and high productivity by using more workers as opposed to using expensive machines.

The fact is if we implement the reforms and ethics that the developed world wants to assuage their guilt our pricing would spiral up to a level which would not be advantageous to your companies which would mean shutdowns and mass layoffs. If you ask the worker in China or India what he would prefer, work in appaling conditions (as per US standards) or food for his family he would take the latter.

Look at it this way, India is a democracy and with 70% below poverty line the majority votes are from the poor, so it would follow that any elected govt would cater to worker conditions simply to get the maximum votes, but they don't. Because every govt realises that any stringent labor reforms would make our industrial advantage evaporate and would mean loss of businees for our industries which would prompt mass layoffs and the workers would become even more pitifull because of lack of a livlihood.

I hear all this about child labor etc from you guys but you have to be here to understand the desperation. A typical below poverty line family has 7-8 kids unlike the urban rich who have 1-2.

The poor folks logic is more children equals more hands equals more earning for the family. The 14 year old kid would rather work and feed his/her siblings than be concerned about the Western morals on child labor.

By insisting on these reforms you assuage your guilt on the conditions of the poor but forget that you have removed the means for him/her to eat food in the evening.

It has taken almost 200 yrs for the labor conditions to improve in USA and UK etc. We can't do it in 20. In the meantime let the unfortunates at least get two meals a day.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 02-07-12 at 08:22 AM.
    02-07-12 05:50 AM
    Dupe post....
    Last edited by ADozenEggs@aol.com; 02-07-12 at 03:04 PM.
    02-07-12 02:55 PM

Hahaha!

I was wondering how long it would take you to get around to making a personal comment. That was longer than I thought. I have to make note of that in my log.

Sorry you feel that Apple doesn't give away enough to "satisfy" you.

What you're missing or incapable of grasping(it's a possibility)is that I responded to a post that said Apple give $0 in charitable donations. False statement. And then EYE should play Apple's defense council and get an acquittal for my client. Nope. My hourly billing rate is much too high for that.

And sorry No "Ifan" here. But that's okay. Most of your posts miss their target anyway.

Glad you checked me out though. Hope I can keep it interesting for you..

Anything thing else is just extra.
    02-07-12 03:03 PM
    Everyone realises that we're arguing over which faceless multi-BILLION dollar company "who couldn't care less about most of us so long as we buy their product" donates more money to chairty.
    I donate to the Cancer society off every pay and every Xmas. We should all donate more.

Perspective...
    PlayBookUserMT likes this.
    02-07-12 03:13 PM
    Hahaha!

I was wondering how long it would take you to get around to making a personal comment. That was longer than I thought. I have to make note of that in my log.

Sorry you feel that Apple doesn't give away enough to "satisfy" you.

What you're missing or incapable of grasping(it's a possibility)is that I responded to a post that said Apple give $0 in charitable donations. False statement. And then EYE should play Apple's defense council and get an acquittal for my client. Nope. My hourly billing rate is much too high for that.

And sorry No "Ifan" here. But that's okay. Most of your posts miss their target anyway.

Glad you checked me out though. Hope I can keep it interesting for you..

Anything thing else is just extra.
    Checking your post history I have not come across any positive blackberry comments. It appears your sole purpose is to discredit blackberry, not overtly, but you don't contribute anything of substance to the community. Although you seem to use the forum as a general way to invite women to new york for the best martinis in the solar system. Kinda creepy, this is crackberry, not fapberry.

Yes it is my opinion Apple does not donate enough. You are correct that Apple has made a small donation, but up until very recently Apple had donated $0. The OP may have been unaware of this change from less than a week ago. Not all of us are watching Apple's every move like you.

Your grasp on English is very poor, if you believe EYE refers to onself and not a sensory organ then I can't imagine anyone paying for your defence council. You chose to defend and put yourself in the position, so don't complain when someone asks you for proof of your statements.

If you feel the need to correct someone do it with sources in a polite manner and not as a sarcastic a**.

I am happy to support BlackBerry, they have done far more than most people realise for their community and the global community. The Perimeter Institute in Waterloo alone shows the focus RIM has in furthering knowledge and supporting people.
    02-07-12 04:29 PM
    Everyone realises that we're arguing over which faceless multi-BILLION dollar company "who couldn't care less about most of us so long as we buy their product" donates more money to chairty.
    I donate to the Cancer society off every pay and every Xmas. We should all donate more.

Perspective...
    Thank you.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    mikelcal likes this.
    02-07-12 04:37 PM
    actually, foxconn is actually a taiwanese company with factories in china
    02-07-12 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD