I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for several years and love most things about it. Lately, however, I've been looking at Android devices (as a lower cost alternative to a Playbook) and have noticed a couple of "nice to haves".

First, BlackBerry App World could take a lesson from the Android Market. When apps on an Android have an update, you can update them all at once! So much easier! Second, the need to reboot after every app update on BlackBerry is old (to put it mildly). Can't BlackBerry figure out how to update apps in bulk and without the need to reboot?

Another thing I think RIM needs to work on (if they're not already) is wireless sync. We can currently sync media over WiFi...why can't we sync calendar/contacts/tasks/etc?? Better yet, come up with an OTA sync to eliminate the need for Google calendar sync (and the inherent problems it seems to bring like duplicate calendar entries, etc).

C'mon RIM...we have the technology...let's make it happen!
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-15-12 03:47 PM
    I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for several years and love most things about it. Lately, however, I've been looking at Android devices (as a lower cost alternative to a Playbook) and have noticed a couple of "nice to haves".

First, BlackBerry App World could take a lesson from the Android Market. When apps on an Android have an update, you can update them all at once! So much easier! Second, the need to reboot after every app update on BlackBerry is old (to put it mildly). Can't BlackBerry figure out how to update apps in bulk and without the need to reboot?

Another thing I think RIM needs to work on (if they're not already) is wireless sync. We can currently sync media over WiFi...why can't we sync calendar/contacts/tasks/etc?? Better yet, come up with an OTA sync to eliminate the need for Google calendar sync (and the inherent problems it seems to bring like duplicate calendar entries, etc).

C'mon RIM...we have the technology...let's make it happen!
    You don't have to reboot right then. I believe you can install all the updates and then reboot. But I agree, coming from Android I have to admit their App Market has some work to do.
    03-15-12 05:24 PM
    Since you don't own the PlayBook, and possibly haven't used it extensively, the problems you are mentioning the PlayBook actually is addressing
    03-15-12 09:22 PM
    Better file management for the SD card. Like come on, it's the same system on OS 4.x
    03-16-12 10:34 AM
    Not sure, but I believe this is an inherent limitation of the java-based architecture of the BBOS--the need to reboot, that is. BB10 won't have this limitation, but until it gets here there's nothing RIM can do about this.

And as Jonathaon94 pointed out, if you have more than one app update, you can install them all and reboot once.

I find that the pace of change in BB apps is lethargic enough that it's pretty rare that more than one app at a time has an update coming.
    03-16-12 01:22 PM
    I totally agree for the need to have "update all" option.
    03-16-12 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD