I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy these advertisements!

The 2nd one is the one that introduced me to the PlayBook. The first one I hadn't seen before, really enjoyed it.
    04-15-12 02:49 PM
    Here's what I don't like about the commercial, they are so defensive! Letting the competitors shape the discussion and then having to defend yourself after already being behind the 8-ball. They need to make their own rules instead of playing by the rules that their competitors are setting.

Here's a concept, have an actor playing a high powered alpha-male executive. Have him walking through an office and snatching people's phones out of their hands in a funny "I can't believe he did that" way.

"you need a phone who talks back to you? I think you need counseling, but that's just me" (siri dig) then throws phone out the window.

Grabs another phone "wow, look at all these games! My 5 year old would LOVE this! After a long day of negotiating trades of snacks and hostile takeovers for kindergarten nap-time territory, he likes to unwind with this kind of mindless nonsense" (throws phone back at employee and it bounces off his forehead)

Grabs 3rd phone "you want a phone that you can spend all day customizing, and changing and setting up? That's nice, but I need something that's set up and ready to go out of the box" (throws phone in trash and grabs blackberry).

"when you're ready to put on your big boy pants, grab your blackberry and meet me in the board room"

All tongue-in-cheek, of course
    vdubwhat likes this.
    04-15-12 03:08 PM
    The 2nd one is the one that introduced me to the PlayBook. The first one I hadn't seen before, really enjoyed it.
    The first one is the one that introduced the PlayBook.
    04-15-12 03:10 PM
    Or how about this?

Commercial is set in a church during a sunday service. Pastor is using a playbook to assist during his sermon. He reads the text: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Once he says that, someone in the congregation has an iphone that goes off unexpectedly, or siri pipes up with something. And/or someone has an android which starts buzzing and chirping as they're playing a game. The entire congregation stops to turn and look at the offenders, who slouch down in their pew in embarrassment as they unsuccessfully try to turn off their phones and shut them up.
    04-15-12 03:16 PM
    The first one is the one that introduced the PlayBook.
    Huh. Never seen it before. Did they put it (or a variation) on tv?
    04-15-12 03:19 PM
    Or how about this?

Commercial is set in a church during a sunday service. Pastor is using a playbook to assist during his sermon. He reads the text: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Once he says that, someone in the congregation has an iphone that goes off unexpectedly, or siri pipes up with something. And/or someone has an android which starts buzzing and chirping as they're playing a game. The entire congregation stops to turn and look at the offenders, who slouch down in their pew in embarrassment as they unsuccessfully try to turn off their phones and shut them up.
    personally i would find that funny, although that could easily offend people of other faiths and views.

but RIM dont need a `funny` ad, they need an ad that demonstrates the qualities, key differentiators and useflessnuess of their product. also on another note, they dont wanna be pokin fun at anyone elses phones to do it, they should learn from nokias beta test adverts lol.
    avt123 likes this.
    04-15-12 04:54 PM
    Or how about this?

That commercial would be cool in the year 07...Times have changed. iOS/android have made roads into the enterprise market...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 07:42 PM
    That commercial would be cool in the year 07...Times have changed. iOS/android have made roads into the enterprise market...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    perception = reality. i don't think many consumers would see that commercial and immediately think "what a foolish commercial. iOS & android have made roads into the enterprise market..."
    04-15-12 07:56 PM
    personally i would find that funny, although that could easily offend people of other faiths and views.

but RIM dont need a `funny` ad, they need an ad that demonstrates the qualities, key differentiators and useflessnuess of their product. also on another note, they dont wanna be pokin fun at anyone elses phones to do it, they should learn from nokias beta test adverts lol.
    i remember seeing other commercials (can't think of now) that have been in a church setting, so i think it can be done tastefully and effectively. and if there was an outcry from other faiths..........FREE PUBLICITY!!!!!

just kidding.

also, i don't think that there needs to or can even be a "magic bullet" commercial that is the end-all be-all and saves the company. i think there needs to be a massive campaign. you certainly need informative ads to showcase all that BB/PB are able to do, and educate people about the products. particularly since so many people have gravitated away over the years, there is a lot they need a "refresher" on. but I think you also need some advertisements to break the stigma of "OMG U DONT HAZ AN IPHONE???" maybe a little playful razzing in a commercial will make people laugh, make them REMEMBER you, and make them think "hmmm, maybe i'll check out one of those blackberry's when I'm looking for a phone..."
    04-15-12 08:02 PM
    Or how about this?

I hope RIM never mixes religion with their marketing.

BlackBerrys can buzz and chirp as well, so that doesn't sound that good. Also, bashing the competition is never a good idea, especially when many consumers want what is on those devices. These same users who chose to not buy a BB, and the same consumer market that is buying more Android and Apples devices than BlackBerrys.

If RIM wants to target the consumer market as a whole, BBs need games as well. So as soon as BB10 comes out and has all these games, this "tool not toy" nonsense and your idea would look extremely hypocritical. But, the PB (the PB has many games, games with birds as well) is a BB and is already on the market, so the "tools not toys" marketing scheme is horrible already.
    pantlesspenguin and vdubwhat like this.
    04-15-12 11:34 PM
    perception = reality. i don't think many consumers would see that commercial and immediately think "what a foolish commercial. iOS & android have made roads into the enterprise market..."
    No, they will look at Android and iOS and then look at the BB and say why can't the BB do all of that as well.

Consumers have shown they want devices that can also entertain them. Bashing the devices that can is just stupid.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-15-12 11:41 PM
    Dead Dandjb13

Don't make anymore worthless threads. I am embarrassed for you.
    04-16-12 12:47 AM
    Ironically, this so-called commercial is a fairly accurate portrayal of RIM: it showed three people using Blackberry products with everyone else staring in disbelief that they actually are; and the line "I feel lonely, old, and untalanted" sums up, quite nicely, the state of the BB OS.
    04-16-12 09:50 AM
    Or how about this?

Commercial is set in a church during a sunday service. Pastor is using a playbook to assist during his sermon.
    What exactly would he be doing with his PB to assist his sermon? Showing a bible text? What platform can't do that? I will gladly have a war of best bible software and what platform its on. Would he be displaying the text on a projector? Hope no one trips over the long cord necessary for the task.

As a sometimes public speaker, I have used my iPad to wirelessly control a Power Point presentation on a Macbook Air attached to a large monitor. I used my iPad to control a digital pointer on the main screen. I could also highlight, underline write, draw, and otherwise mark up the presentation as needed. There's an app for that. I think I paid $.99 for the privilege.

In short, your commercial would actually do nothing to show why someone would want to buy a PB, let alone, why they would buy one over the competition. That is exactly the kind of commercials they have been doing, and the kind they should stop doing.
    04-16-12 12:03 PM
    What exactly would he be doing with his PB to assist his sermon?
    FWIW, my father is a retired United Methodist pastor. While he would preach, he would have some sermon notes handy on the pulpit. If he was still preaching these days, I would TOTALLY buy him a Playbook and put all of his sermon notes on there as pdf files. He would've LOVED something like that. I'm not a fan of the commercial idea, mind you, just showing an example of how a Playbook could be used by a pastor in church .
    04-16-12 03:18 PM
    FWIW, my father is a retired United Methodist pastor. While he would preach, he would have some sermon notes handy on the pulpit. If he was still preaching these days, I would TOTALLY buy him a Playbook and put all of his sermon notes on there as pdf files. He would've LOVED something like that. I'm not a fan of the commercial idea, mind you, just showing an example of how a Playbook could be used by a pastor in church .
    Right. Sure. But that's not really the point. No one would think for a moment that the PB couldn't display sermon notes. It would never cross anyone's mind to question it. Showing it in an ad would not make anyone want to buy it as every pad can do that. It just starts the debate of what platform has the best word processing apps, and suddenly, the ad becomes a liability for the PB

...Just like the ad that started this thread.

No one ever questioned if a BB could play music. Talk about setting up a straw man. When you make that the big feature, you had better be bringing something unique to the table. RIM does not want to make the conversation about which platform has a better music and media ecosystem. Commercials like this make me think they are being sabotaged from within.
    04-16-12 03:40 PM
    I hope RIM never mixes religion with their marketing.

BlackBerrys can buzz and chirp as well, so that doesn't sound that good. Also, bashing the competition is never a good idea, especially when many consumers want what is on those devices. These same users who chose to not buy a BB, and the same consumer market that is buying more Android and Apples devices than BlackBerrys.

If RIM wants to target the consumer market as a whole, BBs need games as well. So as soon as BB10 comes out and has all these games, this "tool not toy" nonsense and your idea would look extremely hypocritical. But, the PB (the PB has many games, games with birds as well) is a BB and is already on the market, so the "tools not toys" marketing scheme is horrible already.
    i don't advocate mixing religion with marketing either. but the idea that this kind of concept is completely off limits and taboo is crazy. i'm not saying RIM should be evangelical, i'm saying that the commercial is set in a church because that's the setting where this particular idea/concept would take place.

as for "bashing the competition is never a good idea", it happens all the time, and can be effective if done right

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOvzGiheOM[/YT]

What exactly would he be doing with his PB to assist his sermon? Showing a bible text? What platform can't do that? I will gladly have a war of best bible software and what platform its on. Would he be displaying the text on a projector? Hope no one trips over the long cord necessary for the task.

As a sometimes public speaker, I have used my iPad to wirelessly control a Power Point presentation on a Macbook Air attached to a large monitor. I used my iPad to control a digital pointer on the main screen. I could also highlight, underline write, draw, and otherwise mark up the presentation as needed. There's an app for that. I think I paid $.99 for the privilege.

In short, your commercial would actually do nothing to show why someone would want to buy a PB, let alone, why they would buy one over the competition. That is exactly the kind of commercials they have been doing, and the kind they should stop doing.

as penguin already pointed out, the playbook could be used to show notes, text, passages, etc. which would be useful to someone giving any kind of speech. be it a sermon or a classroom or whatever. that's not the premise of the commercial though. there is a time and a place for advertisements to showcase their product highlights. this is not one of them. the idea is to cause a shift in people's mindsets and thinking. get people to think that the iphones/androids are phones for teenagers/kids/etc. "leave behind your childish ways." paint your product as the one for adults, grown-ups, professionals. Apple has no problem making people feel like outcasts for not having their products, why is it not OK for BB to make people feel like children for having their angry-birds handheld device?
    04-16-12 03:50 PM
    ...why is it not OK for BB to make people feel like children for having their angry-birds handheld device?
    Because the PB has Angry Birds. I guessing you knew that, though.
    04-16-12 03:59 PM
    Because the PB has Angry Birds. I guessing you knew that, though.
    and yet...people don't associate Angry Birds or other games with BB/PB like they do with apple/android
    04-16-12 04:11 PM
    i don't advocate mixing religion with marketing either. but the idea that this kind of concept is completely off limits and taboo is crazy. i'm not saying RIM should be evangelical, i'm saying that the commercial is set in a church because that's the setting where this particular idea/concept would take place.

as for "bashing the competition is never a good idea", it happens all the time, and can be effective if done right

Yes, it can be effective, and if you see the way Apple did it in that commercial, it is barely a bash. It just points out that Windows still has problems. Not that it is bad, not that the users are children, and not that using a Mac makes you any better of a person. It is advertising that you wont have those problems windows has. It has nothing to do with the users at all.

Looking around calling other platforms users children (in your example) and then saying that owning a BlackBerry makes you a man is actually childish and completely untrue.

Talk about efficiency, talk about the excellent messaging, reliable push email, great social network integration and BBM. Talk about what the BlackBerry can actually do. Do NOT criticize the users, because that's when you lose.
    04-16-12 04:37 PM
    and yet...people don't associate Angry Birds or other games with BB/PB like they do with apple/android
    That's because people don't think BlackBerry has any apps.
    04-16-12 04:39 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD