Dear Mike L.

I hope this letter finds its way to you somehow.

First of all, I'd like to say I love my Playbook as it is and if I were to buy a tablet tomorrow, it would still be the BlackBerry Playbook. It is the only secure tablet out there, it supports flash, the Bridge app saves me $50.00 per month vs 3g equivalent and there are tons of apps and games arriving almost daily. I love video chatting with my wife and kids, my four year old loves the Spiderman game and if there is one good thing about the Kindle Fire it is that it confirms the 7" form factor is awesome.

However, the recent announcement that OS 2.0 will be delayed until February was a concern to me because it could have terrible repercussions for the Christmas sales and because some Playbook buyers feel that people in your team lied to them about the Android Player. Functionally I don't need it but I see the future potential. Still, the issue is one of trust.

I've read about your generous contributions to worthy causes and was impressed with your gift of 100 dollars in free apps for an outage that although unfortunate was actually understandable. When a competitor built a phone that dropped calls because of the way it was held all that was offered was a five dollar bumper. So, I think relatively speaking, RIM really exceeded my expectations on the fix for that one. So, I feel pretty comfortable with RIM and the way RIM stands behind their promises.

There are many competitors salivating at the possibility that RIM will stumble because you have a security system they will never be able to match and with your 70 million users, they will do everything to help you stumble.

The sales people that get bigger commissions for selling 3g tablets are not helping either. I've purchased four Playbooks for my family and at each store I've practically had to fight the sales person to get to see a Playbook and had to listen to a bunch of lies about how terrible it was.

So here are three suggestions that should sell over 1 million Playbooks in the U.S. by Christmas and make 99% of current Playbook users (your biggest sales force) happy. Obviously there is that one percent that will never be happy but the 99% matter.

#1.
    Separate the android player from the other goodies on the OS2 release; especially the movie player, and start releasing them as soon as possible. Further, acknowledge that some of us purchased the Playbook because of the android player that has not come and, to help kick off BlackBerry Movies, give every Playbook user and future buyer $100.00 in free movies until the Android Player is released.

#2.
    The sales teams are really not helping BlackBerry at all. Seriously, if you read the blogs, those of us that purchased Playbooks have had to basically fight to even see a working model at the stores and listen to a bunch of incredible lies to get them. Here is how you fix that.
    Have an OTA update with an APP called "Why The Playbook?", the current video is nice but it does not show the daily magic. Use this video/app to show people using Video chat, show someone opening an account for a client knowing that it is the ONLY tablet secure enough to transmit sensitive personal information, show how portable it is, show a kid playing spiderman, someone playing NOVA2, how DataViz Docs to Go is free with BlackBerry, a video of how awesome viewing a Flash website is vs. a device that does support flash, and show someone logging in to their gmail account via the app or web, which has been available from day one.
    If the sales force won't help you then have a video that tells your story.

#3.
    Until the android player is available lower the price of the Playbook across the board to $399.00 for new buyers. This will sell the Playbook and once the android player is out the raise the price back to $499.00 again.

None of these suggestions are based on technology but on marketing. Perception is reality in some ways. People that know the Playbook will go back up to 499.00 when the android player is released will rush to purchase before that because everyone likes to get a good deal, and to be fair, it was suggested that it would be be available six months ago.

I don't know if you can get this past your board but I honestly think this would spark Playbook sales and shut up the naysayers. I have a friend that regrets leaving BlackBerry and loved my Bold 9930 but said that he was not sure BlackBerry would be in business next year. Honestly, this is ridiculous but that is the media spin and it won't help. Lets just shut them up right now.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mark Jimenez

P.S. Thank you for releasing the Bold 9930. I can finally say I love my BlackBerry and would have no other phone, even if it was free.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-27-11 at 04:05 PM.
    gtiffany, Dapper37, Ousus and 5 others like this.
    10-27-11 08:17 AM
    You know you can actually send this letter by mail instead of typing it is a forum where it won't get read by the people you want to read it.

Looks like you spent some time on it so print it and drop it in the mailbox.
    10-27-11 08:54 AM
    All good suggestions. Personally, I too, like my PlayBook as it is. It does what I need it to do today, for the most part. Are there some additional features I like to see? Certainly, but I'm confident that they will be there at some point and I can wait. Mostly, I'm waiting for business applications. I'm not into the gaming aspect of the tablet. As it is, I can play my music, watch movies when I travel, answer emails through bridge, browse the web, and so on. It will get better.
    10-27-11 08:54 AM
    Dear Mike L.

I hope this letter finds it way to you somehow.

First of all I'd like to say I love my Playbook as is that if I had to buy a tablet tomorrow, It would still be the BlackBerry Playbook. It is the only secure tablet out there, flash, the Bridge apps saves me $50.00 per month vs 3g equivalent and there a ton of apps and games arriving almost daily. I love video chatting with my wife and kids and my four year old love the Spiderman game and if there is one good thing about the Kindle Fire it is that it confirms the 7" form factor is awesome.

However, the recent announcement that OS 2.0 will be delayed until February was a concern to me because it could have terrible repercussion for the Christmas sales and because some Playbook buyers feel that people in your team lied to them about the android player. Functionally I don't need it but I see the future potential. Still the issue is one of trust.

I've read up about your generous contributions to worthy causes and saw your ability to step up and was impressed with your 100 dollars in free apps for an outage that although unfortunate was actually understandable. When a competitor had a phone dropped your calls because of the way you held it (which I think was truly catastrophic) all that was offered was a five dollar bumper. So, I think relatively speaking RIM really exceeded my expectations on the fix for that one. So, I feel pretty comfortable with RIM and RIM standing behind their promises.

There are many people salivating at the possibility that RIM will stumble because you have a security system they will never be able to match and with 70 million users they covet they will do everything to help you stumble.

The sales people that get bigger commission for selling 3g tablets are not helping either. I've purchased 4 Playbooks for my family member and at each store I've practically had to fight the sales person to get to see a Playbook and had to listen to a bunch of lies about how terrible it was.

So here are three suggestions that should sell over 1 million Playbooks in the U.S. by Christmas and make 99% of current Playbook users (your biggest sales force) happy. Obviously there is that one percent that will never be happy but the 99% matter. My co-worker was so impressed with my Playbook that he also got three for his family.

#1.
    Separate the android player from the other goodies on the OS2 release. Especially the movie player and start releasing them. To acknowledge that some of us purchased the Playbook based on the android player that has not come in quite some time and to help kick off the BlackBerry Movies give every Playbook user and future buyer until the android player is released $100.00 in free movies.

#2.
    The sales teams are really not helping BlackBerry at all. Seriously, if you read the blogs, those of us that purchased Playbooks have had to basically fight to even see a working model at the store and listen to a bunch of incredible lies to get them. Here is how you fix that.
    Have an OTA update with an APP called "Why The Playbook?", the current video is nice but it does not show the daily magic. Use this video/app to show people using Video chat, show someone opening an account for a client knowing that it is the ONLY tablet secure enough to transmit sensitive personal information, show how portable it is, show a kid playing spiderman and someone playing NOVA2, show how DataViz docs to go are free with BlackBerry and a video of how awesome viewing a Flash website vs. someone that does not have it and show someone logging in to their G-mail account via the app or web, which has been available from day one.
    If the sales force won't help you then have a video that tells your story.

#3.
    Until the android player is available lower the price of the Playbook across the board to $399.00 for new buyers. This will sell the Playbook and once the android player is out the raise the price to $499.00 again.

None of these suggestions are technology based but marketing based. Perception is reality in some ways. People that know the Playbook will go back up to 499.00 when the android player is released will rush to purchase before that because everyone likes a deal and to be fair this was suggested as something that would be available six months ago.
    I don't know if you can get this past your board but I honestly think this would spark Playbook sales and shut up the naysayers. I have a friend that regrets leaving and loved my Bold 9930 but said that he was not sure BlackBerry would be in business next year. Honestly, this is ridiculous but that is the media spin and it wont help. Lets just shut them up right now.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mark Jimenez

P.S. Thank you for releasing the Bold 9930. I can finally say I love my BlackBerry and would have no other phone, even if it was free.

Some good points.If they could improve the value proposition without causing damage, something along those lines should be considered. I like the idea of giving the BBMovie a shot in the arm, add a promotion for BBMM into the consideration. Early adoption is where its at.
    10-27-11 09:02 AM
    Hey NickA44,

I think I will. However, I believe he probably gets all kinds of stuff and just can't read it all. I'm hoping that someone from RIM will come to CrackBerry (I mean, I would certainly have someone from RIM checking the most popular BlackBerry blog in the world just to keep the pulse of the fan base) and see it then just mention it to Mike. If it someone he knows and trusts tells him about it then maybe that would prompt him to read it.

Maybe if enough people agree with it on CrackBerry someone may notice and bring it to his attention. I know it is a long shot, a very long shot that the CEO of RIM will get this but hey, stranger things have happened.

The reason I like it is that the media is so negative on RIM that it is starting to impact potential buyers that may otherwise buy RIM products. I have a friend of mine that left BB to try a droid and now, after I showed him my Bold 9930 he would like to come back but is concerned that they won't be in business next year. Obviously they are thinking of PALM, that did release an awesome webOS but did not have enough muscle to get it off the ground. People don't take the time to notice that unlike PALM, RIM has a ton of resources and no debt. 70 million users say that won't happen but if you want to grow the base you need to squash any rumors of such a thing.
    Recently, some turkey with 12 million under management predicted they would discontinue the Playbook. If you look at RIM's overall strategy you would know that is impossible and yet the media put it out as if it was a likely fact. Give me a break.

I think RIM should crush this rumors now. Sure, RIM will be fine and prosper but why keep potential customers away.

Anyway, I may send it to RIM directly so thanks for the suggestion.

Go RIM.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-27-11 at 09:54 AM.
    Dapper37 and NickA like this.
    10-27-11 09:45 AM
    If you do actually send that along to RIM, I'd suggest proofreading beforehand.
    10-27-11 10:56 AM
    psufan32,
    Yeah. I think that would help.
    Thanks.
    M
    10-27-11 11:15 AM
    If you do actually send that along to RIM, I'd suggest proofreading beforehand.
    What's with the grammar police lately. Not everyone grew up speaking English.

I like your letter and think you should email it straight to the Co-CEOs.
    10-27-11 01:50 PM
    Not a bad letter, I wouldn't put that stuff about the iPhone in there because antennagate was not catastrophic at all for sales, and it has nothing to do with tablets.

The video app idea is interesting, but I don't think it's a great idea: when you go into an Apple store, no one sits there and watches a video on the iPad, instead they play around with Google Maps, or they look at the App Store, they look at the iTunes store and see all the music, movies, etc that can be loaded.Then you have an employee that will tell you how you can stream music and videos and pictures to your TV with the touch of one button, etc etc etc. You simply can't have that experience at Best Buy, you would basically need RIM to operate a Blackberry "booth" at stores like Best Buy (e.g. set up a "Blackberry Squad") in order to create a strong presence.

The harsh reality is that the general public doesn't care about the Playbook, and it appears that everyone that wants a PB has bought one already. There's nothing RIM can do to build up interest in this tablet until February of next year, unless you drop it to $99. I don't mean to be a downer, but RIM's only "hook" with the PB was bridging with your BB, which is not a good marketing ploy since a lot of people don't own BBs. Other than that, there is no marketing hook to this device at the moment.
    10-27-11 02:31 PM
    Hi Alberta Blue,

English is actually not my first language but that is secondary. I agree I should clean it up a bit but I just wanted to crank something out that articulated a possible path forward to move one million Playbooks.

I could type something in German or Spanish but I'm not sure Mike L. speaks those languages.

Anyway, I would love the Playbook to get the credit it deserves and by the way RIM has issues but it is getting way less credit than it deserves.

By the way, if they did do something like I suggested above for their clients, I think I would just have to buy a couple more for my brother and sister for Christmas.
    10-27-11 02:40 PM
    There are some people, including myself, that consider poorly worded and misspelled things completely unprofessional and will put them at the bottom of the pile. However, I ignore these things on blogs, text messages, IMs, etc.

Joe
    10-27-11 02:42 PM
    Pineapple Under the Sea,

Good point. However, I would say what Steve Jobs once said about when someone in his company said they should give customers what they want "Consumers don't know what they want until we make it". To that I would add "and market it".

The Playbook is not a device that is doomed to failure. It is quite a nice device and with better specs than the iPad2 but the marketing and incentives are not there. However, I agree that apple (I did not mention the device) got off scotch free on a terrible oversight on their antenna. I mean, Consumer Report said not to buy it but the endless and exceptional commercials won the day.
    "If you don't have an iPhone, well you don't have an iPhone" and "there is an app for that" were really awesome marketing strategies. Anyway, this is not about other devices but the Playbook and I think it can and will be a successful device for RIM if they tweak a few things in the device and support it with great marketing.

By the way, maybe you are right about taking off the comment about the antenna gate issue because this is not an attack on any other device. I used that to show how awesome it was for Mike (and the issue was credibility) to just give us a ton of apps for something that even you may agree was less damaging (or at least should have been) than a phone that did not work very well at all as a phone. Anyway, I'm sure apple has resolved that issue and they make some nice products.

Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-27-11 at 02:57 PM.
    10-27-11 02:49 PM
    Native e-mail, PIM and Calendar are more important to average consumer than Android Player. Rim even states this is the number one reason Playbook sales are weak. Plus I don't think you want to go out and say Android Player when trying to sell a Playbook, because some people would just say why don't I just buy an Android tablet. You don't want people to know the player exists, just that the same apps are avaialble. Native Apps and games coming out now look very good and quantities are growing rapidly. I think that getting some sort of e-mail/calendar/contacts app on the Playbook without the bridge, even if it doesn't talk to BIS/BES now, will get way more consumer sales than Android Player. I mean we saw the leaked pic of e-mail with Exchange Activesync support, get it out. You can give us the final version of these apps in 2.0, but you need to check that box off to get real possibility of Holiday sales. If RIM does nothing till February then the Playbook is dead as far as it ever gaining traction in the market.
    10-27-11 02:58 PM
    Inichols,
    I agree there is a window of opportunity that RIM needs to meet. This is a huge Christmas for the Playbook and some of us hoped that OS2 would deliver that extra push right around the end of October. However, since OS2 is not going to be available until after Christmas RIM needs to do something to sell their device.
    The competition is really awesome and the iPad2, Android Tablets and soon the Kindle Fire are driving pretty strongly. If RIM just goes into the holidays without a strong plan then I fear their Playbook sales will not meet expectations. Therefore they should do something.

I agree that native e-mail and calendar would help but I don't agree that they should be the priority. The priority should be marketing and incentives in my view. Why? because the device is quite nice right now and I don't believe sales will go through the roof once native e-mail arrives (though I would help) but you have so called reporters calling it "the Herpies of tablets" and without an incentive to get it consumers will stay away. RIM needs to crush that with some awesome sales numbers, even if they just barely break even on the sale of the devices. Selling 1 million Playbooks this Christmas would shut down any talk of discontinuing the tablet.

Anyway, this is actually turning out to be a good discussion on the subject. Thanks for your comment.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-27-11 at 03:20 PM.
    10-27-11 03:10 PM
    Hey NickA44,

I think I will. However, I believe he probably gets all kinds of stuff and just can't read it all.
    You never know. Steve Jobs has been known to reply or contact people directly that wrote him letters or e-mailed.
    10-27-11 04:13 PM
    NickA44,
    O.K. I'll do it.
    Stranger things have happened and maybe I'll even hear back from him.
    10-27-11 04:34 PM
    I love how people still fall back on antennagate when it's absolutely not the same as an actual service outage.

If you feel this strongly though, send the letter straight to the company.
    10-27-11 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD