You gotta sell them to 3rd world countries where it's still a wildly popular device (hint: try Indonesia)

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 12:47 PM
    Noone? Really?! Hyperbole alive and well
    Pretty much the general consumer will prefer Android or iOS, that's the truth. People who specifically want a BlackBerry will get one but that's it. Let's face it, BlackBerry haven't done themselves any favours when it comes to marketing BB10, not especially when people ask me what's so good about it that they should drop their Android phone or iPhone.

I've put my Z10 on sale for almost a week now, barely any response.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 12:56 PM
    It's still an investment of sorts. Not the kind of investment that has a chance to MAKE you money, but something that makes economical sense. For example, take the difference in resale value in various car brands. If you only plan on driving the car for, say, 5 years and then sell that car to buy a new one, you'd pick a vehicle with the higher resale value. A Honda over a Kia, for example.
    I agree I mean, the Z10 is a flagship and it's been out less than half a year and already the resale is below 50% of its original cost. It's definitely the Kia in this situation. Maybe even worse lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-05-13 01:21 PM
    Pretty much the general consumer will prefer Android or iOS, that's the truth. People who specifically want a BlackBerry will get one but that's it. Let's face it, BlackBerry haven't done themselves any favours when it comes to marketing BB10, not especially when people ask me what's so good about it that they should drop their Android phone or iPhone.

I've put my Z10 on sale for almost a week now, barely any response.

Posted via CB10
    I had zero responses either. Only way to provoke any kind of interest was to bring the price down. Sad because at the end of the day the Z is a great phone but I just didn't want to end up with a phone with that kind of future. I bought high end and I expected a high end experience in every way, resale value included.

And I agree that pretty much any consumer will not buy a blackberry. Our target market is already quite small. And their demand is weak.

07-05-13 01:26 PM
    I've gotten a local offer. I came down on the price to $375. At this point, I'll take it! At least I don't have to worry about shipping, amazon/ebay/paypal fees, etc on top of that.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    07-05-13 01:30 PM
    It's still an investment of sorts. Not the kind of investment that has a chance to MAKE you money, but something that makes economical sense. For example, take the difference in resale value in various car brands. If you only plan on driving the car for, say, 5 years and then sell that car to buy a new one, you'd pick a vehicle with the higher resale value. A Honda over a Kia, for example.
    I know a guy who really, really liked Android. Continually bought iPhones, though, because, in his words, he came out ahead on the sale on the other end. So, he has a premium phone that works for him that he is able to upgrade and pays for itself.

He actually told me that before AT&T changed its early cancellation policies, he made a killing on manipulating extra lines and the upgrade process and cane out with a profit even after paying the termination fees.

My last phone (rooted plus accessories) paid for my new one.

Darn right it's an investment.
    07-05-13 01:30 PM
    I had zero responses either. Only way to provoke any kind of interest was to bring the price down. Sad because at the end of the day the Z is a great phone but I just didn't want to end up with a phone with that kind of future. I bought high end and I expected a high end experience in every way, resale value included.

And I agree that pretty much any consumer will not buy a blackberry. Our target market is already quite small. And their demand is weak.

I understand the sentiment. Don't our own BB communities show interest?
    07-05-13 01:33 PM
    I know a guy who really, really liked Android. Continually bought iPhones, though, because, in his words, he came out ahead on the sale on the other end. So, he has a premium phone that works for him that he is able to upgrade and pays for itself.

He actually told me that before AT&T changed its early cancellation policies, he made a killing on manipulating extra lines and the upgrade process and cane out with a profit even after paying the termination fees.

My last phone (rooted plus accessories) paid for my new one.

Darn right it's an investment.
    Yep! For as often as I switch phones (once or sometimes even twice a year) I take care of them, get cheap cases and screen protectors from Amazon to protect them, and typically by the time I'm ready to sell them I'm only spending around $150 out of pocket for my new device (full retail, of course). For as much as I enjoy the hobby, I don't think that's bad at all.
    07-05-13 01:34 PM
    Yep! For as often as I switch phones (once or sometimes even twice a year) I take care of them, get cheap cases and screen protectors from Amazon to protect them, and typically by the time I'm ready to sell them I'm only spending around $150 out of pocket for my new device (full retail, of course). For as much as I enjoy the hobby, I don't think that's bad at all.
    Oh wow... that's fantastic. The only thing that stops me from switching like that is not being on a GSM carrier. When I was in TMO, I was INSANE. SIM card swapping was an addiction LOL.

You should see my phones... screen protectors, three-piece cases, etc. I try to keep them as pristine as possible for the next owner!

Even my son knows that he can only play games on it from the safety of the bed or sofa LOL.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-05-13 01:39 PM
    Oh wow... that's fantastic. The only thing that stops me from switching like that is not being on a GSM carrier. When I was in TMO, I was INSANE. SIM card swapping was an addiction LOL.

You should see my phones... screen protectors, three-piece cases, etc. I try to keep them as pristine as possible for the next owner!

Even my son knows that he can only play games on it from the safety of the bed or sofa LOL.
    When I switched to VZW for a short time it drove me CRAZY that I had to call customer service to switch between my HTC Rezound and BB 9930. Suuuuuch a pain! But in a couple weeks when I get my Sony Xperia Z I'll be back to only having one phone.
    07-05-13 01:55 PM
    I sold my 9810, my wife's 9810, and my PlayBook on eBay for what one iPhone 4S goes for. Nobody wants this junk.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    07-05-13 11:58 PM
    Interestingly enough, I've noticed that all smartphones have fallen in resale value, albeit for different reasons.

With BlackBerry, the demand just isn't there for the devices. With Apple, since they've made newer model iPhones available at a quicker pace and are selling unlocked, I've noticed a drop in the resell value in comparison to how it use to be. With Android devices, they create too many different models too close together; additionally, the availability and price of the nexus devices hurts demand there.

I've bought and sold one too many devices since 2007. The landscape has drastically changed.

With that said, a seller will still net more with an iPhone or Android device. This is a concern of mine as I am deciding to hold on to my Q10. What happens when I want a new toy to play with and can probably get no more than $300 for my Q10? Then I remember that I should never really be buying a device with the intent to sell it, but rather enjoy it for what it is and does when I buy and use it.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 10:27 PM
    Funny when I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile I traded in my Z10 STL100-4 and got $229.00, so seems that guy doesn't what he's talking about...
    07-06-13 10:33 PM
    Blackberry is the red-headed Stepchild of the mobile phone market.
    agp101 likes this.
    07-06-13 10:39 PM
    Accept the truth BB is on 4th place after Microsoft in demand/user base. So, we can't expect a good resale value...
    This is actually not true, as of April BB was still ahead of Microsoft.....

comScore Reports April 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    07-08-13 01:03 PM
    This is actually not true, as of April BB was still ahead of Microsoft.....

comScore Reports April 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    True, but that's including bbos. And, what's worrisome is that -0.8% point change, which is by far the highest drop between all cases. Not looking so good to me.

07-08-13 08:51 PM
41 12