so i just bought a blackberry torch from a friend of mine, but i am still using and have a plan for my iphone. when i take my sim card out of my iphone and put it in the torch, the service works but the data does not. like i cannot go on the internet or set up my emails or anything like that. i called my provider (telus) and they said that in order for my data to work on my blackberry, i would need to change my plan to a blackberry data plan. but since i want to be able to switch back and forth whenever i want to, i was wondring if there is any way around this? thank you in advance for your help.
    11-03-11 06:02 PM
    No, if you want to use data there is no way around it, sorry.
    11-03-11 06:04 PM
    BlackBerry data goes through the RIM servers. Without a BB plan data services are not available to the device.
    11-03-11 08:58 PM
    But ask the carrier if the BlackBerry Data Plan service will work on the iPhone. (Even though, as noted above, the reverse will not work.)

Some carriers support this and some don't.
    11-03-11 09:10 PM
    On Telus a BlackBerry Plan works on an iPhone yes
    But an iPhone Plan does not work on a BlackBerry.

Usually the BlackBerry Plan if you are not top teir is actually cheaper than the iphone plan for the same service in Canada

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 07:14 AM
    You will need to remove regular data plans and activate the Blackberry BIS data plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 08:19 AM
    thank you all for your responses, im going to call telus right now and see if this is true
    11-04-11 10:55 AM
    The solution is Blackberry Data plan... and i agree with the others.

Blackberry Data is pressed with their network so you need a BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) to use Data with a Blackberry device.

Regular Data plan will work on other phones but not from Blackberry.. so get a Blackberry data plan and you will still be able to swap the SIM and get data on both of your devices.
    11-04-11 01:14 PM
    I have been trying to figure out the compression ratio between the plans.

For example, if I'm using 2.5 GB a month through the compressed RIM servers, I expect that if this was an iPhone or Droid, it'd probably be closer to 4-5 GB a month, right?

I can't find any ratio or discussion about his on-line anywhere.
    11-04-11 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD