I have a BlackBerry Curve 8520 on T-Mobile with no data plan. Kinda sucks on my part since I can't use BBM.
    (Yes, I realize I need to get a data plan for the full functionality, but I have my reasons for not having one. Basically I'm broke and part of a family plan.)

Will I get charged data for downloading apps via Wi-Fi? I know an alternative safer solution would be to download it to my computer and transfer via USB.

Is it possible to use data when on Wi-Fi? If so, will T-Mobile charge me for using any data service if I'm not on a data plan, or is that something specific I would have to ask T-Mobile? (I know the easiest solution would be to, yes, get a data plan.) Would apps warn/tell me before using data if I'm not on a data plan?
    One app I am looking at is iheartradio. Does it work over Wi-Fi with no costs, or is a data plan required?

Is turning off the Mobile Network the foolproof way to not be charged for data services or downloads?
    07-21-10 04:28 PM
    You will need a BIS account for apps
    Without BIS you cannot use apps
    07-21-10 04:59 PM
    When using Wi-fi, your Curve talks directly to that network that you've tied into. T-Mo (or any other wi-fi connected phone on any other carrier) has no way to know about it, so they can't charge you for something they can't see. And they don't care because you're not using their cell network.

Some apps can work over Wi-fi, but not all. It depends on the app and it will have settings for that if it can be changed. But, (I think) all of BB apps use BIS only, such as App World and (as you already noted) BBM. Some of the third party browsers can be set to work over Wi-fi (such as Opera Mini).

Someone else can verify, but usually the apps that use BIS will look for it first. And if you don't have a data plan, then it will just tell you that it cannot connect to the network.
    Last edited by joeldf; 07-21-10 at 05:34 PM.
    07-21-10 05:32 PM
    When using Wi-fi, your Curve talks directly to that network that you've tied into. T-Mo (or any other wi-fi connected phone on any other carrier) has no way to know about it, so they can't charge you for something they can't see. And they don't care because you're not using their cell network.

Some apps can work over Wi-fi, but not all. It depends on the app and it will have settings for that if it can be changed. But, (I think) all of BB apps use BIS only, such as App World and (as you already noted) BBM. Some of the third party browsers can be set to work over Wi-fi (such as Opera Mini).

Someone else can verify, but usually the apps that use BIS will look for it first. And if you don't have a data plan, then it will just tell you that it cannot connect to the network.
    If this phone is using UMA, yes T-Mobile can/will know about since UMA is directly tied to their servers.

but they are correct some applications like BeeJive, Opera, Bolt, NimBuzz, Ubertwitter all will connect via wi-fi only.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 05:49 PM
    If this phone is using UMA, yes T-Mobile can/will know about since UMA is directly tied to their servers.
    But isn't UMA only for actual phone calls over wi-fi since is has to jump off the internet to find a cell line, at which point T-Mo finally sees the phone and can start counting the minutes against the user?

Regular wi-fi use is IP address to IP address and UMA is never involved.
    07-21-10 06:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD