I just signed up for a BB Data (BIS) plan through Orange (Israel).

The standard data plan that they offer is for 150MB of usage per month. If I'm not mistaken, they then jump up to 5GB, which is quite a jump.

I will mostly be using the phone for e-mail (2 accounts, Outlook and GMail), chatting and occaisional browsing - as well as hopefully using some different BB apps.

Is that feasible on 150MB a month?
    04-06-10 01:59 PM
    Well since I've posted on all of the other threads you've had I figure I'll keep the trend going.

Last month I used 66mb of data. I do alot of BlackBerry Messanger usage, as well as alot of Facebook. I do a little e-mail here and there, but it's not the majority of my usage, and I've only got one account. 150mb should be more than enough to cover your usage, the only way you'd really go over that is if you tethered your BB to your computer, or if you streamed music alot. You should be fine.
    04-06-10 02:20 PM
    From what I understand, and maybe I am wrong about this, that BB e-mail doesn't actually use up too much data (I heard that somewhere).

My biggest usage will be e mail, which I do a lot.
    04-06-10 02:26 PM
    You're correct. The BB platform is fairly data efficient, especially when compared to other smartphones which use alot more bandwith and aren't as efficient.
    Also, the majority of e-mail messages are fairly small in size, usually only a few KB, so you're not really going to run into alot of issues with racking up data unless you're sending off some massive attachments. You shouldn't have many issues, send away!
    04-06-10 02:31 PM
    Any idea how big the average 60 minute podcast type file is?

I imagine downloading a few of those could add up, no?

Also, do BB apps use a lot of data? (I'm guessing the answer will be "It depends on the app"

04-06-10 02:34 PM
    I went from using 70mb/month to over 200mb/month. Just follow how much data you use on your carriers website to make sure you don't go over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 02:35 PM

Also, do BB apps use a lot of data? (I'm guessing the answer will be "It depends on the app"

It depends on the podcast, but i would imagine that it is a fairly large file. I would suggest downloading it as an MP3 file onto your PC, and loading it on the media card directly. I don't really mess with podcasts, so I can't say for sure.

As far as your last question, it does depend on the app itself. Listening to Pandora radio on your BB will no doubt rack up more data usage than the ScoreMobile application for instance. It also depends on how you use the app. If you have an IM app like AIM or MSN that you keep running constantly in the background, it's going to use more data then if you open it occasionally.
    04-06-10 02:39 PM
    I'm also on a 150MB plan. I use my phone heavily, including email, BBM (with lots of photo transfers), maps, facebook, twitter, Google Sync, MSN, browsing, and a few data apps (eg. weather). My maximum usage so far is about 30MB/month. 150MB is really difficult to hit if you don't stream media.
    04-06-10 03:05 PM

My Podcasts (varying lengths, about 5 minutes to about 1-1/2 hours) are from 3 to 50 MB. So that would eat up your data! However, you should know that the Podtrapper application can be configured to download via your PC/USB, which won't use any of your data plan.

If you are limited to 150 MB, you won't want to do any streaming. Text RSS feeds should be OK.
    Last edited by ttfmaep; 04-06-10 at 04:16 PM.
    04-06-10 04:12 PM
    I don't think that 150MB is going to cut it if you have to ask. Any type of streaming is going to kill that in no time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 11:31 PM
    BIS doesn't use much data cause even when I streamed live tv through my blackberry tour for the olympics almost 6 hours a day I only had approx 200MB of data usage
    04-06-10 11:44 PM

I have an MP3 ripped from a CD that is one hour of "ocean sounds" it is 68MB. A podcast would likely be recorded at a lower bitrate (because it doesn't need as high quality sound) and therefore somewhat smaller.
    04-07-10 10:20 AM
    Wow, I thought our 500 mb plans were small. I hit like 300 - 350 mb a month with one email account, constant BBM and Opera viewing of mobile sites, and absolutely zero streaming.
    04-07-10 10:36 AM
    An hour podcast should be around twenty megs depending on quality. If you listen to Security Now just get the low quality.
    04-07-10 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD