Ok I've been monitoring my data usage while connected to wifi at home for the last 2 weeks and I noticed that my data usage has been increasing unexpectedly. I've been using the Rogers My Account app to monitor my usage. Last night I was at 76MB and this morning I checked and found that it was at 85.5MB. I'm 100% sure that I was connected to my wifi at home and if you're thinking I mustve restarted my phone, I haven't and if I did it would automatically connect to my wifi connection. I'm not worried going over but wondering why my data usage is going up while on wifi. I know that using wifi is free and won't count towards my data usage so my questions are what's going on?, why is this happening? and what's causing this problem? Thanks to everyone's help and concern in advance and I hope my problem can be solved. Thanks again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 03-13-11 at 04:31 PM.
    03-13-11 04:29 PM
    It shouldn't go up. That's very weird. I think your first option is to make sure your wifi is "really" connecting, and possibly even set up your connection again, erase the WEP, and re-save the profile. Failing that, call Rogers support. Your wifi antenna might be busted.
    03-13-11 06:34 PM
    I was finding the same trend in my data plan usage, when I started looking at my Blackberry closer I noticed that the BB symbol kept moving to network 3G data rather than wifi. This end up using my data plan rather than my wifi although it was connected and had strong signal too.

Since updating to .486 on my Torch I've seen that happen alot let and my overall data usage has decreased because now its actually using my wifi when connected to it
    03-13-11 06:37 PM
    Some apps will only use your data plan whether you are hooked up to wifi or not. Some apps also have setting as to what data to use. It's a possibility that the Rogers app is using your data plan and every time you check your usage, it's increasing because the Rogers app is using data.
    03-13-11 06:45 PM
    On the top right instead of 3G it says UMA which proves I was on wifi. Last night alone it went up by 9.5MB. My phone was on bedside mode and I was sleeping. Didn't have anything open except for scocial scope and the usual 5 apps that are on the app switcher. I called Rogers and they did not know what to do or how to check my hourly data usage last night. So you guys are my last resource.

03-13-11 07:50 PM
    Bring up the browser and hit myipaddress.com on the BB. If you're truly on your home network, the IP should be the same public one reported by your PC on the same network as I believe OS6 browser bypasses the RIM proxy servers when it's on WIFI. If it reports a RIM address, the WIFI connection isn't working properly. Make sure you set it up correctly by verifying that you get a proper private IP on the Status/Help Me screen of the BB.

BTW, if you posted the above post while at home on WIFI on your BB, I can tell you that you're fine in terms of the browser communicating via your home cable Internet connection. So, if that's the case, this could be a bug in the new 6 OS.
    03-13-11 10:55 PM
    Bring up the browser and hit myipaddress.com on the BB. If you're truly on your home network, the IP should be the same public one reported by your PC on the same network as I believe OS6 browser bypasses the RIM proxy servers when it's on WIFI. If it reports a RIM address, the WIFI connection isn't working properly. Make sure you set it up correctly by verifying that you get a proper private IP on the Status/Help Me screen of the BB.

BTW, if you posted the above post while at home on WIFI on your BB, I can tell you that you're fine in terms of the browser communicating via your home cable Internet connection. So, if that's the case, this could be a bug in the new 6 OS.
    Yup went to whatismyipaddress.com and it showed me my IP address (both PC and phone have the same), my ISP provider, and location. All are correct. Also I've never had it switch back and forth between signals (3G and UMA) so that couldn't be the issue.

03-13-11 11:30 PM
    Then I would wager to say that there's an OS bug somewhere causing this phenomenon to happen. I would report it to RIM if I were you or call your carrier and ask to be escalated to RIM support to report the problem.
    03-13-11 11:41 PM
    Then I would wager to say that there's an OS bug somewhere causing this phenomenon to happen. I would report it to RIM if I were you or call your carrier and ask to be escalated to RIM support to report the problem.
    Ok sounds good. Thanks

03-13-11 11:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD