I was very happy to be able to change my data plan on AT&T to the 200 MB plan instead of the 2GB plan and save $10. My data usage has become almost laughable. Just a few months ago, I had an HTC Evo and my last month with it, I had used 8GB of data. Last month with my Bold 9000, 185MB. That's amazing to me. The weird thing is, that I feel like I use my Bold more. I don't know, but I'm happier with my bb and saving some money in the meantime. Just wanted to share.
    ILUMINATIUNDEAD likes this.
    10-20-10 03:33 PM
    Thanks goodness for RIMS data optimization!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ILUMINATIUNDEAD likes this.
    10-20-10 03:36 PM
    The weird thing is, that I feel like I use my Bold more.
    I willing to bet that you don't. RIM compresses data, but 185MB vs. 8GB? Sorry, but that answer is FALSE.
    10-20-10 03:59 PM
    I willing to bet that you don't. RIM compresses data, but 185MB vs. 8GB? Sorry, but that answer is FALSE.
    Lol. I do, but what I do know is less data intensive. I use a lot of my PIM functions more. And I do a lot more messaging. I don't browse the nowhere near as often and I don't stream as much video.

10-20-10 04:08 PM
    Seems impossible Dwayne. Sure that's two comparable time frames and usages?

10-20-10 04:11 PM
    Numbers must be off...
    10-20-10 04:16 PM
    Seems impossible Dwayne. Sure that's two comparable time frames and usages?

Not impossible. Like I said, I use my BB a lot differently than I used to use my Evo. I've actually stopped using my smartphone for multimedia which in the past used a lot of data (youtube, Pandora, streaming podcasts, Sprint TV, etc). I don't do those things on my BB because it really isn't the greatest web and multimedia device. But I have begun talking more and messaging a lot more. Now that I have more friends on BBM, I message a lot in my free time. So I actually use my BB more, but my data is cut down significantly. It just astounded me how much I have been able to cut down my data usage. Or maybe the capabilities or lack there of has forced me to. Don't know.
    10-20-10 04:19 PM
    I know for a fact I used less data when I was on my BB. The compression helps, but I use the internet a lot more and stream a lot more/visit full html webpages vs mobile ones now that I've made the switch from BB. So far in the just over a month since I've gotten this Droid 2, I'm up to 2gb.

I'm glad to hear two things. First off that the BB is working well for you. Secondly that you're able to save money on your data plan.

I use this device as a pc replacement as much as I can though since I don't have broadband access at home, and I'm in a rather rural area. I would love to have it, just can't get it.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-20-10 at 04:24 PM.
    10-20-10 04:21 PM
    I know for a fact I used less data when I was on my BB. The compression helps, but I use the internet a lot more and stream a lot more/visit full html webpages vs mobile ones now that I've made the switch from BB. So far in the just over a month since I've gotten this Droid 2, I'm up to 2gb.

I'm glad to hear two things. First off that the BB is working well for you. Secondly that you're able to save money on your data plan.

I use this device as a pc replacement as much as I can though since I don't have broadband access at home, and I'm in a rather rural area. I would love to have it, just can't get it.
    I just about did the same when I had my Evo. It was my primary web browser. I didn't do a lot of messaging with it though. I think my multimedia habits were replaced by entertaining myself through messaging. I think that has made the difference.
    10-20-10 04:28 PM
    That's a dramatic change in habits. Heck, right now I can't get 3G, since I'm using an at&t branded Onyx on T-Mo, and without streaming I still top 200MB average per day.
    10-20-10 04:31 PM
    Not impossible. Like I said, I use my BB a lot differently than I used to use my Evo. I've actually stopped using my smartphone for multimedia which in the past used a lot of data (youtube, Pandora, streaming podcasts, Sprint TV, etc). I don't do those things on my BB because it really isn't the greatest web and multimedia device
    You just answered your own question. It's the multimedia like youtube and pandora that rack up the data usage. If you did all of that on your evo and not on your bb, why are you so astounded by the decrease in usage? Makes perfect sense to me. I'm an Android user now, but I will say that you should give some of that stuff a try on your bb. Pandora always worked just fine for me on my bb.
    10-20-10 04:35 PM
    That's a dramatic change in habits. Heck, right now I can't get 3G, since I'm using an at&t branded Onyx on T-Mo, and without streaming I still top 200MB average per day.
    It's also a dramatic change in devices. The Evo was the best multimedia device I had every put in my hands. My BB is great, but a very different smartphone as I'm sure you are well aware of.
    10-20-10 04:35 PM
    They are two completely different devices, but I can't imagine my smartphone use changing to that degree. It didn't moving from a Pearl to an Onyx. More apps to consume data, but my usage was high then too. The Evo being a Sprint phone, and you with at&t, how did you use it for a full month, and return it?
    10-20-10 05:10 PM
    They are two completely different devices, but I can't imagine my smartphone use changing to that degree. It didn't moving from a Pearl to an Onyx. More apps to consume data, but my usage was high then too. The Evo being a Sprint phone, and you with at&t, how did you use it for a full month, and return it?
    I actually used my EVO for two months and then broke my contract and went to AT&T.

10-20-10 05:19 PM

Compression does help, but it is the lack of multimedia usage that has drastically lowered the data use. I used over 200MB in one day just by leaving Pandora on all night one time.

I normally use Pandora around 2-3 hrs./day, and that consumes around 80MB.

In my last billing cycle I used 3.6GB data in the month without tethering. But I used Pandora or Slacker almost every day.
    10-20-10 05:20 PM
    That's interesting Dwayne. Was it the service, and why not the Torch when you went to at&t?
    10-20-10 05:26 PM
    I got good service from Sprint in my house but not in my office. AT&T is great in both. I didn't get the torch because I was undecided about it. So I went with what I knew I would like. It may have been a mistake not getting the torch though. We will see. Maybe I will get the 9780.

10-20-10 05:47 PM

It is easy to USE the device more, but Not use as much data as usage will change,

With a BB you'll use WAP sites, with the EVO you'd use full HTML sites, that is a difference between 70k-150k sites and 500k-1.2Mb sites ( the average difference I have noticed on my PC browser when changing,

so assume one loads a single site 5 times a day by 30 days

150k = 750k = 22.5Mb
    1.2m = 6Mb = 180Mb
    with Website usage alone removing any compression that BB might do you could quickly have a MAJOR change in data usage doing the same things in different methods.

Also with the ease of use, and amount of use BBM brings almost instantly one could easily be spending 1-2 extra hours a day BBMing compressed data, over IMing non compressed data over gtalk or MSN.

now I'll admit I don't surf on Media intensive sites on my BB because of the screen resolution, where if I had a Android or iPhone I probably would, and that would effect my data, but I can see that when I am at my notebook I wouldn't pick up my Android/iPhone, but I am always picking up my BB to blast out a quick email or BBM because I can do it faster, or only way to do it is from my BB. which increases my TIME usage.

I would really love someone who runs both a BB and a Android to do a real test and check data consumption

Visit all the same sites
    When a BBM is sent, send a gtalk message
    read all the emails twice
    alternate sending emails.

it would really be interesting to see if the compression is really that much for day to day tasks
    10-20-10 06:04 PM
    For what it's worth, the data usage calculator on the TELUS site shows the BlackBerry as using approximately 5X less data than other smartphones.
    10-20-10 07:51 PM
    Compression...and I don't know about carrier too.

while tethering to dl a 60 mb, TMO online showed only 40 mb used. I think this is because of the BIS compression, but my friend with a mytouch reported similar things..so TMO and BIS compression?
    10-20-10 08:00 PM
    Well I guess I am not as heavy a user as some of ya, lol!
    I have yet to ever go over 1gb....and I stream slacker and youtube, but not everyday...

10-20-10 08:52 PM
    I used to have a Droid 2. It was a good phone, with lots of apps and good web browser and such. Today, I got the Storm 2. I was surprised because it was better than I expected.

But for some reason, when I use the volume rocker, the volume doesn't change. Any more tips for this new Blackberry user?
    10-20-10 08:55 PM
    Wrong thread/forum buddy ^o^

10-21-10 12:30 AM
    It is easy to USE the device more, but Not use as much data as usage will change,

With a BB you'll use WAP sites, with the EVO you'd use full HTML sites, that is a difference between 70k-150k sites and 500k-1.2Mb sites ( the average difference I have noticed on my PC browser when changing,

so assume one loads a single site 5 times a day by 30 days

150k = 750k = 22.5Mb
    1.2m = 6Mb = 180Mb
    with Website usage alone removing any compression that BB might do you could quickly have a MAJOR change in data usage doing the same things in different methods.

Also with the ease of use, and amount of use BBM brings almost instantly one could easily be spending 1-2 extra hours a day BBMing compressed data, over IMing non compressed data over gtalk or MSN.

now I'll admit I don't surf on Media intensive sites on my BB because of the screen resolution, where if I had a Android or iPhone I probably would, and that would effect my data, but I can see that when I am at my notebook I wouldn't pick up my Android/iPhone, but I am always picking up my BB to blast out a quick email or BBM because I can do it faster, or only way to do it is from my BB. which increases my TIME usage.

I would really love someone who runs both a BB and a Android to do a real test and check data consumption

Visit all the same sites
    When a BBM is sent, send a gtalk message
    read all the emails twice
    alternate sending emails.

it would really be interesting to see if the compression is really that much for day to day tasks
    Someone should do an experiment.

10-21-10 05:05 AM
    Compression...and I don't know about carrier too.

while tethering to dl a 60 mb, TMO online showed only 40 mb used. I think this is because of the BIS compression, but my friend with a mytouch reported similar things..so TMO and BIS compression?
    Tethering doesnt get compressed buddy. Only things which use the blackberry proxy get compressed, i.e. browser, email, bbm on your blackberry. I dont know why your 60mb file only showed as 40mb but i assume the other 20mb was spread out accross other time slots because it doesnt update automatically.
    10-21-10 08:31 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD