Hi everyone,
    I bought a blackberry Curve 8520 about 2 months ago in Asutralia and I got a BB data plan and mobile network plan from a company called Optus. The phone worked fine in Australia. About a week ago I went on vacation to Korea and I tried to use the phone, the mobile network did not work so I caled Optus and they told me that roaming would not work in Korea because they did not have a partnership with any Korean telecom companies. That being said the data services (windows live, Iskoot for skype, facebook) were still working whenever I connected to a WIFI signal. The data services worked for about 4 days then they simply just stopped. I could still connect to the internet and browse no problem but no more IM's or facebook. Would this have something to do with my mobile service provider Optus? If so, how since I am not using there mobile network because it doesnt work in this country. How could Optus possibly keep track of my data usage when I'm not connected to there mobile network? As a side note I cannot update my blackberry app loader. I plug my curve into my computer and start BB desktop manager and click on app loader. It tells me I need to update my app loader, I click yes, it asks me to disconnect my device, I disconnect and clcik ok, desktops manager restarts, I plug the curve back in and the process repeats itself. I have read other posts about this happeneing but no one seems to have resolved the issue. Any help with these problems would be appreciated. Thanks!
    06-28-10 01:39 AM
    Hi everyone,
    I bought a blackberry Curve 8520 about 2 months ago in Asutralia and I got a BB data plan and mobile network plan from a company called Optus. The phone worked fine in Australia. About a week ago I went on vacation to Korea and I tried to use the phone, the mobile network did not work so I caled Optus and they told me that roaming would not work in Korea because they did not have a partnership with any Korean telecom companies. That being said the data services (windows live, Iskoot for skype, facebook) were still working whenever I connected to a WIFI signal. The data services worked for about 4 days then they simply just stopped. I could still connect to the internet and browse no problem but no more IM's or facebook. Would this have something to do with my mobile service provider Optus? If so, how since I am not using there mobile network because it doesnt work in this country. How could Optus possibly keep track of my data usage when I'm not connected to there mobile network? As a side note I cannot update my blackberry app loader. I plug my curve into my computer and start BB desktop manager and click on app loader. It tells me I need to update my app loader, I click yes, it asks me to disconnect my device, I disconnect and clcik ok, desktops manager restarts, I plug the curve back in and the process repeats itself. I have read other posts about this happeneing but no one seems to have resolved the issue. Any help with these problems would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Try not plugging the device back then. Load DM, hit Options (top right, small but not hard to find) and ask for updates. Let it finish and then plug the device back.

I am not sure about the network problems thou. It's strange they worked and then stopped. Could be BIS over Wi-Fi. Is your Wi-Fi white when they refuse to work?

I wonder, what do you mean by "mobile network plan"? Is it a monthly voice plan?
    06-28-10 08:21 AM
    thanks for the advice diegonei. i tried updating the app loader while the phone was not contected but i got the same result unfortunatly. when i say mobile network plan i mean the service i signed up for when i purchased the phone. it was called the "blackberry turbo cap" and it included sms and mms for a certain amount of money per, as well as local and international calls and all data service (the data services are free for a year.) sorry if "mobile network plan" wasnt the correct term.
    06-30-10 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD