I am getting a bb very soon but I read that the data plan is unlimited however I asked the customer service to verify this info and they said that the max mb included are 50. Is this enough for heavy browsing + mail + bbm( I don't know how much does the bb compress data)

Thank you
    07-03-10 08:17 AM
    In a word, no. 50 mb is not much at all. I have used 100 mb in 17 days and I make sure it uses Wifi while I am at home. I don't really do much browsing during the day, just email, text, Yahoo I'm and BBM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 08:26 AM
    I don't believe 50 mg is enough either, however if you are getting a model with wi-fi that could help keep your usage down. My fiance and I were both around 90 mg for the month our last billing cycle, but we both have wi-fi. Before I got my 8900 I think was monthly usage was around 170 - 200 mg a month.

07-03-10 08:41 AM
    As 50 mb is not enough I thibk I will not get bis. But can I use email without bis??
    07-03-10 09:36 AM
    As 50 mb is not enough I thibk I will not get bis. But can I use email without bis??
    50 Mb is lots of memory for normal use, as you have suggested.

It is difficult to go over 1 Mb a day unless you are downloading/streaming a lot of video, music or software.

My useage is similar, lots of Email and messages and occasional Browsing. I average about 1 Mb/Month.

BIS is required for Email, Messaging, Internet Browsing, Downloading software from App World and for most third party applications. Without BIS, a BlackBerry is limited to Phone and SMS text communications.

07-03-10 10:37 AM
    50 Mb is lots of memory for normal use, as you have suggested.

It is difficult to go over 1 Mb a day unless you are downloading/streaming a lot of video, music or software.

My useage is similar, lots of Email and messages and occasional Browsing. I average about 1 Mb/Month.

BIS is required for Email, Messaging, Internet Browsing, Downloading software from App World and for most third party applications. Without BIS, a BlackBerry is limited to Phone and SMS text communications.

Huh? Lots of misinformation in this post. You say it is almost impossible to go over 1 MB a day.

Just browsing the internet will put you over 1 MB in a matter of 30 minutes in most cases.

Emailing, especially with any attachments, will put you over that very easily.

There is no way you use an average of 1 MB per month.

07-03-10 11:32 AM
    Well.... we have an interesting issue here.

As a moderator, every time a member uses the Mod Alert button, we all get an email message to action a response. That happens 50-100 times a day.

I often use the Browser to check out a reported post, but I rarely use video or music streaming. I also use two apps that use data, Weather and a Bloomberg, a Financial app.

1 Mb per month is my typical useage with my 6 Gb BIS plan.

Just browsing the internet will put you over 1 MB in a matter of 30 minutes in most cases.
    1+ Mb per day is excessive use, without audio and video streaming.
    07-03-10 11:52 AM
    Well.... we have an interesting issue here.

As a moderator, every time a member uses the Mod Alert button, we all get an email message to action a response. That happens 50-100 times a day.

I often use the Browser to check out a reported post, but I rarely use video or music streaming.

1 Mb per month is my typical useage.

1+ Mb per day is excessive use, without audio and video streaming.
    Seriously? You only use 1 MB per month? Not 1 GB per month, 1 MB per month. You must use Wifi almost all of the time.

I had no way to tell you were a moderator, since the mobile site does not show any member information. To tell people that they will only use 1 MB per month without explaining if you are using a lot of Wifi is a little misleading.

I don't stream audio or video. I rebooted my phone this morning, mowed the yard, ate lunch and went to CB mobile site for the past hours or so. My browser cache says 1.4 MB. The only other sites I visited are other mobile sites.

I just checked my data usage by calling *DATA# on ATT and I have used 90 MB since June 14th. I do get a lot of emails because I use mine for work and personal use and I do get a lot of attachments (word and pdf files to review).

Also, if you have someone just take a picture or two and email it to you once you open it you will have to download the image. Even if the images are taken on a Blackberry, they will be between 400k and 800k.

If all you do is text, go online for 10-20 minutes on really stripped down sites without Java and images and email without attachments, along with using Wifi as much as possible, then maybe you can stay under 50 mb per month.

Last edited by sdmcwilliams; 07-03-10 at 12:13 PM.
    07-03-10 12:06 PM
    Seriously? Someone says they use 1 MB per month, I call them out and they report my post. Not 1 GB per month, 1 MB per month.
    You have raised some of interesting points.

Word and PDF files can be huge attachments and will use a lot of data to download for viewing or saving. I rarely have to download large attachments.

Code:
    Date Rate Prd Volume (KB)  Total Charges ($)    
    Tue May 04 OD 24.00   0.00    
    Wed May 05 OD 14.00   0.00    
    Thu May 06 OD 26.00   0.00    
    Fri May 07 OD 12.00   0.00    
    Sat May 08 OD 17.00   0.00    
    Sun May 09 OD 20.00   0.00    
    Mon May 10 OD 44.00   0.00    
    Tue May 11 OD 28.00   0.00    
    Wed May 12 OD 23.00   0.00    
    Thu May 13 OD 3.00   0.00    
    Fri May 14 OD 16.00   0.00    
    Sat May 15 OD 25.00   0.00    
    Sun May 16 OD 59.00   0.00    
    Mon May 17 OD 17.00   0.00    
    Tue May 18 OD 55.00   0.00    
    Wed May 19 OD 11.00   0.00    
    Thu May 20 OD 15.00   0.00    
    Fri May 21 OD 13.00   0.00    
    Sat May 22 OD 21.00   0.00    
    Sun May 23 OD 116.00   0.00    
    Mon May 24 OD 9.00   0.00    
    Tue May 25 OD 4.00   0.00    
    Wed May 26 OD 524.00   0.00    
    Thu May 27 OD 109.00   0.00    
    Fri May 28 OD 114.00   0.00    
    Sat May 29 OD 196.00   0.00    
    Sun May 30 OD 7.00   0.00    
    Mon May 31 OD 46.00   0.00    
    Tue Jun 01 OD 26.00   0.00    
    Wed Jun 02 OD 51.00   0.00    
    Thu Jun 03 OD 11.00   0.00    
    Total:   1656.00   0.00
    I went a little over 1.6 Mb during May.

07-03-10 12:15 PM
    You have raised some of interesting points.

Word and PDF files can be huge attachments and will use a lot of data to download for viewing or saving. I rarely have to download large attachments.

... checking my current data use.... to be continued.
    Sorry, I edited my post. I thought someone reported my post to you but it was your post I was calling out. I am on my computer now and it makes sense.

I will be interested to see what you monthly usage is. I have never heard of anyone using that low of an amount of data in a month and I know a lot of Blackberry users.

Do you not use any Apps (Google Maps, Facebook, IM programs, etc)?

I just looked at the past 4 months and I averaged just under 300 mb per month (no video or audio streaming). I do have Slacker but I only use it at home on Wifi when I am working around the house. I can't listen to music at work.
    Last edited by sdmcwilliams; 07-03-10 at 12:24 PM.
    07-03-10 12:18 PM
    No worries buddy, the whole point of a forum is to share opinions and discuss information.

You must use Wifi almost all of the time.

... To tell people that they will only use 1 MB per month without explaining if you are using a lot of Wifi is a little misleading.
    As it happens, Wifi and UMA are critical for me, I live in a rural area where getting 1 bar is rare. However, my carrier counts all data including the UMA component. Nearly all of my BIS data is Wifi and UMA. Using Wifi has no impart on my carriers data counters, it is counted in my 6 Gb BIS plan. I have little incentive to minimize my data use.

Your Bold 9000 uses Wifi differently. The current generation of Wifi enabled devices will use Wifi to access BIS when possible. The key difference is Voice and SMS text.

As for apps, I do have Google Maps, FaceBook and Yahoo IM installed in addition to Weather, Bloomberg Mobile and BlackBerry Messenger v5. That is about all my 64 Mb Pearl can manage.
    07-03-10 12:26 PM
    Can I use email over wifi if I have bis???
    07-03-10 12:28 PM
    No worries buddy, the whole point of a forum is to share opinions and discuss information.

As for apps, I do have Google Maps, FaceBook and Yahoo IM installed in addition to Weather, Bloomberg Mobile and BlackBerry Messenger v5. That is about all my 64 Mb Pearl can manage.
    Thanks. Maybe they measure MB in the metric system up in Canada.
    07-03-10 12:30 PM
    Can I use email over wifi if I have bis???
    Yes, you can. I did not know you could but I just tried it out. I am on Wifi and I turned off my AT&T connections. I am on BES but I have my Gmail account on BIS. I emailed between the two accounts each way and I got both emails.
    07-03-10 12:35 PM
    I have a 500 MB limit on my plan, and I rarely use 1 MB a day. If I just message and e-mail, it usually clocks in at 500KB. There are some days where I use a lot of apps and browse a lot, where I will go up to 7-8 MB a day, but have NEVER gone past 100 MB a month. I would say that if you only IM and e-mail, and not open any large files or pictures, 50 MB would be fine. You would just have to watch your bill.
    07-03-10 12:41 PM
    I have a 500 MB limit on my plan, and I rarely use 1 MB a day. If I just message and e-mail, it usually clocks in at 500KB. There are some days where I use a lot of apps and browse a lot, where I will go up to 7-8 MB a day, but have NEVER gone past 100 MB a month. I would say that if you only IM and e-mail, and not open any large files or pictures, 50 MB would be fine. You would just have to watch your bill.
    The problem is that the OP said "heavy browsing", too. It all depends on what sites you browse and how many images load, if the site is a dedicated mobile version of the site, etc.
    07-03-10 12:43 PM
    Yes I am going to browse alot. The problem is that it says unlimited but the fairysage policy make it 50mb and there is no other plan.
    07-03-10 01:02 PM
    Have you called your provider to make sure it is only 50 mb. That is almost the total opposite of unlimited.

07-03-10 04:26 PM
    The OP lists Vodafone(UK) in his profile. Vodafone covers most of Europe, Egypt, India and Australia. They do things a little differently there.

I am interested to learn about other members experience with data use.
    07-03-10 04:31 PM
    I would consider myself to be an average/moderate/perhaps slightly heavy data user.

I routinely use 150 - 250 MB per month.

If I download Audible Books directly on the BlackBerry application, then my usage could be 300 - 400 MB per month.

I do not stream video typically (maybe once every 2 months I will view a YouTube video).
    I do not stream audio.
    I do have 7 email addresses pushed to my device, but I do not tend to download many attachments from email.
    I have WeatherBerry running and use Google Latitude through Google Maps. I use BBM frequently but not really heavily.
    I use the BlackBerry Browser frequently.

Personally, I would think that 50MB per month is an extremely small data allowance.
    07-03-10 05:00 PM
    50MB is rather slim. I have used 200MB to a gig or maybe two in a month on my BB. I stream Pandora a lot and have been known to download podcasts. I don't use a lot of attachments though.
    07-03-10 11:52 PM
    Yes I have called the Provider ( vodafone Egypt ) and they said that it is 50 mb due to fair usage policy. I think that it is very small because I am going to pay for unlimited
    07-04-10 12:13 AM
    I have a 500mb plan as well and am a very heavy user. At home I'm on wifi but at work and when I'm out its all network. I access facebook a couple dozen times per day (full site not mobile) I'm on here, and I get about 200+ emails a day plus weather, ebay and the forums and I use about 100-300 mb per month
    07-04-10 04:03 AM
    50 mb is honestly very little.

if you are planning to do browsing, it is definately not enough.

****, the CB homepage is like 138 kb already...just 1 time :P Adds up quickly.
    07-04-10 08:01 PM
    50 mb is honestly very little.

if you are planning to do browsing, it is definately not enough.

****, the CB homepage is like 138 kb already...just 1 time :P Adds up quickly.
    My point exactly on the first page. You can go through 1 Mb of data in 30 minutes of just browsing the mobile Crackberry site.
    07-04-10 08:39 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD