It's not clear to me if we are getting dark theme on the z10. Any chance this is going to happen? I'd choose it over light theme any day as it's easier on my eyes and would disturb others less when I use my BlackBerry at night.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 09:09 AM
    Yes. It's a great possibility. Alex Kinsella killed that rumor a few weeks ago. The Dark theme will not be limited to the Q.

Posted via CB10
    rishio and James Nieves like this.
    04-06-13 09:16 AM
    Great, but who is Alex?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 10:09 AM
    Great, but who is Alex?

Posted via CB10
    A simple Google would have worked...
    He is developer PR.
    SK122387 likes this.
    04-06-13 10:46 AM
    I'm sticking with my z10 if dark theme is locked on the Q10, want a keyboard but dark theme is a deal breaker for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 12:47 PM
    If I understand correctly, the dark theme will be fully optional as a battery saving feature.

Posted via CB10
    mzceetee likes this.
    04-06-13 01:45 PM
    A simple Google would have worked...
    He is developer PR.
    Posts like this really tick me off. The guy is just asking a question. You can tell he's new from the date joined and number of posts. Not everyone has been around these forums as long as you.

Posted via CB10
    barnfoot and mufc1 like this.
    04-06-13 02:17 PM
    Posts like this really tick me off. The guy is just asking a question. You can tell he's new from the date joined and number of posts. Not everyone has been around these forums as long as you.
    And yet someone has to educate new users, and he wasn't even rude in how he did it. He also gave the answer right in his response, so there's not really anything there to fault him on.
    ddlax22 likes this.
    04-06-13 02:27 PM
    Directing people to Google doesn't help. It was a little rude in my opinion.

Education is fine but it doesn't have to be sarcastic.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 02:35 PM
    The dark theme though will not help on the Z10, or not as much. The Q10 is different since it has a OLED display where black pixels are essentially shut off. The Z10 has an lcd so power still needs to go to the pixels to make them black. So although it looks nice, tli doubt BlackBerry will bring it over to the z10 due to its little functionality

Posted via CB10
    bizzyqu and Jean Zombie like this.
    04-06-13 03:33 PM
    But I have to agree with you it will be easier on the eyes, hope BlackBerry gives us this choice

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 03:34 PM
    The dark theme though will not help on the Z10, or not as much. The Q10 is different since it has a OLED display where black pixels are essentially shut off. The Z10 has an lcd so power still needs to go to the pixels to make them black. So although it looks nice, tli doubt BlackBerry will bring it over to the z10 due to its little functionality
    It's a little known fact that on some LCDs, including the ones on the PlayBook and on the Z10, having dark screen contents does still use less power than light screen contents. This is the opposite of many other LCDs such as, apparently, the ones generally used for LCD monitors.

It's not as big an effect as with an OLED screen, but it's measurable and well worth taking advantage of, for people who want to maximize their battery life and developers of apps that are heavily used with the screen on.
    04-06-13 03:57 PM
    The Z10 doesn't need the dark theme. This is only for amoled screens. Amoled screens are power efficient as long as they display minimal whites. That is why everything on Samsung phones is black. Including menus and back grounds of windows like emails or texting.

Amoled screens also have some problems that many users have reported. If you take a amoled screen to a dark room and view a black image you can see wha looks like pixle burn but it really isn't. It's just gray and black dots. Where it should be all black. A Lot of people dislike this because if you are watching movies you can see black dots all over the screen in a dark room.

The Z10 doesn't need dark themes because it's a LCD screen and doesn't use blacks like a amoled does.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 03:41 PM
    The Z10 doesn't need dark themes because it's a LCD screen and doesn't use blacks like a amoled does.
    But see my post just above yours: the LCD screen on the Z10 will still benefit from having a dark theme for reasons of power consumption. Just not as much...
    mzceetee likes this.
    04-07-13 03:44 PM
    No it doesn't work that way.

Any phone using an amoled screen must have specific dark ui designed for it. That's how amoled works. It needs everything black. You can thank Samsung for that. I actually like amoled. But in some occasions its nice to have a white back ground.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 03:48 PM
    I actually really like the dark theme. It's easier on the eyes. I'm not an expert in LCD vs. Amoled but if the dark theme uses less power on the Z10 then that is a extra bonus
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-07-13 03:57 PM
    Directing people to Google doesn't help. It was a little rude in my opinion.

Education is fine but it doesn't have to be sarcastic.

Posted via CB10
    It does help tremendously and once you do that to someone once, they'll remember it the next time. Although this was a question I wouldn't just blow off by saying "Google it!" there are thousands of questions I've seen ask on numerous places that are ridiculously stupid.

People don't realize how EASY it is to use Google - I copy paste the SAME thing they posted into Google and the first link is the answer.

This is 2013, not 1970. Learn to use a search engine.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-07-13 03:57 PM
    No it doesn't work that way.

Any phone using an amoled screen must have specific dark ui designed for it. That's how amoled works. It needs everything black. You can thank Samsung for that. I actually like amoled. But in some occasions its nice to have a white back ground.
    I have no idea what you think I said, but I think you're misreading my post.

I was talking about the Z10's LCD screen. It, too, uses less power when the image is darker than when it's lighter. I've measured it. It's a fact. Same as on the PlayBook.
    04-07-13 04:14 PM
    No it doesn't.

And I would like to know what you used to measure it.

The q10 and any other amoled screen using device has to have darker user interfaces.

Anything using a LCD does not and there is absolutely no benefit to having dark ui on a LCD screen. The lcd screen still uses the same amount of power to illuminate the color on the screen. The only way to reduce power consumption on lcd is to reduce brightness.

I'd like to see your math regarding the testing.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 04:18 PM
    The amount of power the display consumes varies significantly depending on the colour and brightness shown. As an example, one commercial QVGA OLED display consumes 0.3 watts while showing white text on a black background, but more than 0.7 watts showing black text on a white background, while an LCD may consume only a constant 0.35 watts regardless of what is being shown on screen.[10] Because the black pixels actually turn off, AMOLED also has contrast ratios that are significantly better than LCD.

I think the q10 will have the best battery life of any device. An amoled display with an efficient battery and smaller screen. The thing will last for days.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 04:26 PM
    Yeah,

I realized I should have Google it. It's a bit more involved for me because my BlackBerry is all I use to connect to the Internet. Still getting more proficient with it. Love it.

Regarding dark theme - it's not about power efficiency to me. I prefer it the dark theme over light theme. It's easier on my eyes and it disturbs less late at night in bed or places like movie theatres and such where you don't want to disturb those around you.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-07-13 05:05 PM
    Does anyone think the dark theme will look better on an Oreo Z10 than the white theme?
    04-07-13 05:16 PM
    The dark theme is only for the q10 lol and it's there because it has to be. Not because it's a preference thing. They aren't wasting resources on two different ui resolutions for an Z10 and q10. If the q10 was lcd there would never be a dark theme. And it isn't even a theme its the layout required for the phones screen.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 05:22 PM
    I hope so I'd like it

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-07-13 05:23 PM
    My understanding is that the dark theme will not be part of 10.1 for z10 users. I have some friends inside bbry and that's the word as of now.

Just my 0.02

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-07-13 05:55 PM
45 12