Don't forget that Samsung is paying the MS tax on their Android devices to avoid patent litigation. Tizen would be a way to get out of that in the future, once it has developed.
    I wouldn't doubt MS would want their pound of flesh from Tizen if it has any appreciable market presence. If there were easy workarounds for MS patents vs paying them for every device I'm sure it would be done in an Android phone. Until there is a physical phone its early to claim infringement.
    06-17-14 12:00 AM
    I wouldn't doubt MS would want their pound of flesh from Tizen if it has any appreciable market presence. If there were easy workarounds for MS patents vs paying them for every device I'm sure it would be done in an Android phone. Until there is a physical phone its early to claim infringement.
    It depends on what it is built on. I'm not familiar with its origins, but Microsoft's patent claims mostly cover Linux/Android infringements.
    06-17-14 12:53 AM
    I don't get it if they have a backup plan but if Tizen doesn't have access to Google services then they are no less than BlackBerry. Why not make phone for all os...android, windows, BlackBerry, you name it. if they are making money on hardware then go for it.

? Slicing using my ?
    The make Windows and Android phones. Neither Apple nor BlackBerry license their OS so they can't make those phones.
    06-17-14 06:34 AM
    Bugruss8, thanks for your comments and knowledge.
    I understand that foxcomm is making devices for BlackBerry now with the 5 years contract so I do not think that they are not licensing. I think something is beneath one of the rock and left unturned.

? Slicing using my ?
    06-17-14 07:13 AM
    The make Windows and Android phones. Neither Apple nor BlackBerry license their OS so they can't make those phones.
    BlackBerry has mentioned licensing their OS.... but they have shown that it isn't a seller.

Samsung is happy to build Android Device and Windows Devices... but they would be even happier if they could get more than just a small slice of the pie. Content, Apps, User Eyeballs... these are all valuable commodities that Samsung is handing Google on a silver platter. This isn't new, Samsung launch Bada back in 2009 as their own OS, but mobile platforms are about ecosystems and if someone creates a new app like Instagram or LINE.... these fringe OS have a hard time competing. Tizen is just the next step, and as Troy said it is pretty much a Plan "B".

What if Google had decided that they didn't even want to share that one small slice of the pie? I bet buying Motorola made a few people VERY nervous! And now Microsoft owns Nokia... Microsoft needs other OEMs right now to build their platform, but three or four years from now, maybe they don't.
    06-17-14 07:30 AM
    Samsung et al having Tizen as a plan "b" should keep Google a little more reasonable at least in ways that matter to Samsung et al.
    06-17-14 08:43 AM
    The big elephant in the room, what happens when Android development going in a direction you don't want to go? There is something to be said for being a master of your own destiny.
    anon8091350 likes this.
    06-17-14 08:53 AM
    Since there are so much dependence on Android! I wonder if anyone has any ideas of the split of their stock? I heard it will be software and hardware department. Anyone?

? Slicing using my ?
    06-17-14 10:10 AM
    It depends on what it is built on. I'm not familiar with its origins, but Microsoft's patent claims mostly cover Linux/Android infringements.
    Incorrect. That is only where they have gotten paid for licenses. Apple already has a cross-license agreement from the Mac days thats why they aren't being sued/pay fees.
    06-17-14 11:41 AM
    Tizen is another choice to avoid Google/Microsoft, that's why i came to Blackberry after
    Nokia sold out to Microsoft in 2011, would Blackberry go to Google and put playstore on BB10 ? i hope not, i will stay with my Bold 9900 and no Google/ Microsoft invading your privacy.
    Jolla phone with Sailfish is another option.
    06-17-14 04:45 PM
    Yeah but do you know how many people want Google services on their BlackBerry 10 devices? And yes, they are BlackBerry fan. I myself want to have both options but i prefer native BlackBerry 10 applications

? Slicing using my ?
    06-18-14 06:40 AM
    Will get one if its cheap enough just to try it out.was very much interested in meego but nokia didnt even release the phone here.
    Sent from my NOKIA 1520 using Tapatalk
    06-23-14 10:34 PM
    Samsung's Tizen phone delayed yet again

Samsung's plans to diversify its portfolio with the introduction of smartphones running the open source Tizen OS have had to be postponed once more. Originally scheduled to launch at a developer event in Moscow yesterday, the Samsung Z has now been delayed to an indeterminate point in the future. In a statement sent to The Verge, the Korean company says that it "plans to postpone" the Russian release of the phone, but will continue to "actively work with Tizen Association members to further develop TIzen OS and the Tizen ecosystem."
    If anyone still thinks Samsung is going away from Android check for extra holes in your head. Once Google committed to Android One, the initiative to make the Google ecosystem experience on low spec phones better, any room for Tizen to maneuver in the marketplace went away.
    07-11-14 11:51 AM
    Samsung isn't going anywhere soon.
    07-11-14 12:12 PM
    Samsung's Tizen phone delayed yet again

If anyone still thinks Samsung is going away from Android check for extra holes in your head. Once Google committed to Android One, the initiative to make the Google ecosystem experience on low spec phones better, any room for Tizen to maneuver in the marketplace went away.
    I have also read this on Engadget just now. http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/11/s...z-tizen-delay/
    They seem to think the main reason for the delay is due to a lack of apps. I believe this is only a delay and does not indicate abolishing it entirely.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 12:23 PM
    Don't they also make windows phone?
    07-11-14 12:30 PM
    I've said before that Tizen is Bada 2.0, but there are already good low spec phones like Moto E with Google committing to getting those phones in the Android One program all the updates: Tizen can't win on cost, OS updates or apps.
    07-11-14 12:30 PM
42 12