I know most of you already know that Samsung is ditching android or vise versa. They will be going with their new os Tizen.

Does anyone know when are they releasing the first device? Because I don't see much marketing going on regarding their billions of investment on this operating system.

I think they will have a hard time keeping existing Samsung fan.

? Slicing using my ?
    06-15-14 08:01 PM
    they are not ditching android. They will run tizen along side the android offerings.
    JeepBB, TGR1, anon(257429) and 8 others like this.
    06-15-14 08:03 PM
    How does that work? Is it similar to BlackBerry 10? Do you have any articles that you can share with us

? Slicing using my ?
    06-15-14 08:13 PM
    How does that work? Is it similar to BlackBerry 10? Do you have any articles that you can share with us

? Slicing using my ?
    They're going to make Android and Tizen phones. Check it out: Samsung's first Tizen phone, the Samsung Z, to hit Russia in Q3 - CNET
    06-15-14 08:27 PM
    It has no Android Runtime, and thus will not be able to play Android apps.

BlackBerry's biggest downfall, right?

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    06-15-14 08:29 PM
    The scuttlebutt is that tizen will be used on the heart monitors and "gear" where google play services aren't needed and Samsung can retain IP rights.

Tizen on phones lacking Play apps is pointless... their effort on this seems to be an experiment that they apparently can afford to fail at, akin to Microsoft with Windows Phone 7... but MS can't afford not to try. Samsung's goals are mysterious without the larger ecosystem to shore up.

...but one thing about MS is that everyone knows they're in it for the long haul: if BlackBerry had that level of confidence, imagine where they'd be.
    Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Kris Simundson like this.
    06-15-14 08:30 PM
    People who buy Samsung are going to look at Samsung Tizen vs Samsung Android and say why?

1) Is it cheaper? Samsung Android has many price points from cheap to flagship
    2) Can it run more or specific apps? No, Android has the more desired app store and Samsung apps are also on Samsung Android phones. In addition Android can run HTML apps which is the basis of Tizen apps.
    3) Does it work better with X product? No one is making Tizen compatible devices except Samsung.

4) Does it make Samsung more money/control. This is the only reason.

So why??
    06-15-14 08:38 PM
    People will have no clue. They will buy Samsung just because it's Samsung.

However, when they get home and realize it has no Google play, they will be bummed out.

Welcome... to the world of TOMORROW!
    sk8er_tor and Elite1 like this.
    06-15-14 08:44 PM
    So I'm still confused with all of this. Can someone tell me if they will be getting Google services or not. I'm a little confused about this Tizen approach.

? Slicing using my ?
    06-15-14 09:32 PM
    Oh yeah and why they choose Russia? I thought they will sell in Korea first then maybe move to another market or perhaps north America first

? Slicing using my ?
    06-15-14 09:34 PM
    Tizen is another open source OS that Samsung has a fair amount invested in.

It is possible they will try and leverage it and develop it enough so that it may one day be a viable competitor with Android across all platforms (not just mobile phones). Whether or not that can/will happen remains to be seen but, when considering the amount of money Sammy can throw at it, it can't be dismissed so easily.

It is extremely unlikely that Samsung will abandon Android in the near future but they will very likely push their Tizen devices fairly hard when they feel ready.

Posted from my TARDIS!
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-15-14 09:45 PM
    So they will have Tizen z series and galaxy series then

? Slicing using my ?
    06-15-14 10:02 PM
    Tizen will not get Google Play . The reason Samsung went with Russia is that most people there do not buy their phones from carrier affiliated stores. Carriers especially the dominants ones do not want Tizen so Samsung has to go directly to retailers to sell Tizen. It doesn't help them sell more phones for carriers explain why they should choose Tizen when the same brand Android phone is right next to it.

Samsung will shortly learn BB's lesson: its the ecosystem and it ends there.
    JeepBB, Troy Tiscareno and kbz1960 like this.
    06-15-14 10:35 PM
    Before anybody write Tizen off, give this time to evolve. There are some very big muscles behind Tizen. Have a look here: https://www.tizenassociation.org/members/

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-16-14 02:30 AM
    Samsung, LG, Huawei .. 3 of the biggest android players seem like they're teaming up on Google?

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442
    06-16-14 02:56 AM
    In addition a long list of very impressive and big name partners here: https://www.tizenassociation.org/tiz...rtner-program/

I don't know if "teaming up against Google" is the intention but it sure looks like it.

06-16-14 03:21 AM
    In addition a long list of very impressive and big name partners here: https://www.tizenassociation.org/tiz...rtner-program/

I don't know if "teaming up against Google" is the intention but it sure looks like it.

Which is something that I can only appreciate.
    Google is a living privacy issue.
    Everything that competes with it, without following the same business model is something I really appreciate.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB and kbz1960 like this.
    06-16-14 04:52 AM
    Yes, only a pity there too few of us feeling the same about protection of privacy and personal information. The rest of the world seems so gullible when it comes to this.

06-16-14 05:04 AM
    Yes, only a pity there too few of us feeling the same about protection of privacy and personal information. The rest of the world seems so gullible when it comes to this.

And they drag us "normal" people down :-(

Honestly, I don't even have Whatsapp because it wants access to my whole Phonebook and I don't want to give it to them.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and anon8091350 like this.
    06-16-14 06:44 AM
    Samsung just signed a comprehensive 10-year agreement that brings their Android phones even more in line with Google's vision of Android (lighter TouchWiz, fewer S-apps competing with Google apps, etc.). And all of their mobile device money is made from Android phones.

BUT... they are a big company, and their Board Of Directors I'm sure took a look at the situation (of being reliant on another company, ANY other company, to the extend Samsung relies on Google) for their multi-billion dollar business, and decided that they'd better have a back-up plan that they have much more control over just in case Google takes Android someplace that Samsung can't or won't follow.

For the time being, they'll use it in places where Google services don't matter (i.e., mostly not phones or tablets), but they'll keep developing a phone version so that backup plan remains at least somewhat viable. Selling, or at least attempting to sell such phones in less-sophisticated markets, makes sense in that overall plan - almost no one in mature markets wants a Tizen phone with no big app or services ecosystem (BB folks should well understand how that works).

Not having a fall-back plan for a real emergency is too dangerous for such a huge line of business, and that's really what Tizen is: a back-up plan.
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and TGR1 like this.
    06-16-14 09:46 AM
    Tizen primarily has a place in the embedded OS environment. No one cares if a Samsung fridge/washer/dryer doesn't have an [insert app here] available as long as it can communicate using standard protocols. So in that sense it has more to compete with QNX than Android. In smartphones it will replace Bada, in India it has about 10% marketshare in primarily in featurephones. In mature markets: NA, EU, East Asia it faces the same issue that WinMO does the existing ecosystems of Android/IOs are too strong to overcome, in many cases with Samsung's own offerings.
    06-16-14 11:58 AM
    I know most of you already know that Samsung is ditching android or vise versa. They will be going with their new os Tizen.

Does anyone know when are they releasing the first device? Because I don't see much marketing going on regarding their billions of investment on this operating system.

I think they will have a hard time keeping existing Samsung fan.

? Slicing using my ?
    Samsung also makes a line of Windows phones as well (ATIV), Tizen will just be another product line for them. If bb10 was available for license and the price was right they'd make a bb10 phone also. It's just their business model.
    howarmat, Elite1 and JeepBB like this.
    06-16-14 04:47 PM
    06-16-14 05:31 PM
    I don't get it if they have a backup plan but if Tizen doesn't have access to Google services then they are no less than BlackBerry. Why not make phone for all os...android, windows, BlackBerry, you name it. if they are making money on hardware then go for it.

? Slicing using my ?
    06-16-14 07:54 PM
    Don't forget that Samsung is paying the MS tax on their Android devices to avoid patent litigation. Tizen would be a way to get out of that in the future, once it has developed.
    06-16-14 07:56 PM
42 12