I've recently been using the Android app player and market place. Its very good and i can`t help thinking how much better the android apps are, not just in volume (i found every app i have on my BB) but also they were all so much better (style, design, functionality) than the BB apps.

its got me seriously thinking about moving over to Android after 5 years or so of BBs. Really the only thing stopping me is the form factors.

i wonder if by doing this RIM are, in a way, hearding people towards Android devices?!?
    08-14-11 12:44 PM
    Intentionally?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 01:34 PM
    probably not but it might be an unfortunate side effect.
    08-14-11 02:06 PM
    Not if people like QNX better. They get the OS they prefer and the apps it's missing.

Not that I think RIM should rely on android for apps.
    08-14-11 02:13 PM
    i say yes, it will really show where rim is currently lacking. Many people on here already know this though. Some are shocked though at how big the difference is.

You mentioned form factor and that will play a big role because BB phones and keyboard are great and if you want a keyboard there is no better choice. In the pure touch market though its tougher because the competition is huge.

There are going to be people just like you that get a taste of what android has and how it excels over BB and make you consider the switch. Many might just do that too. This is why RIM has to step up the game, enter the 2011+ smartphone world and out of the 2008-09 world. QNX will do just that hopefully but a QNX phone is still atleast 6 months and i am guessing 1 year away
    K Bear likes this.
    08-14-11 02:20 PM
    Each to their own but Android,iOS, web OS devices and handsets all have there advantages and disadvantages.

For me the blackberry has been and will be my device of choice because for me its the most useful and productive handheld on the market.

Ok so the other OS's have a lot of apps which people seem to be obsessed with but 90% of them are just junk

Battery life is a big thing for me aswell and none of the other devices can beat the BB for battery life

I highly agree though RIM has fallen terribly behind and need to catch up to the competition as for a lot of people they are too out of date

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    john_v likes this.
    08-14-11 02:29 PM
    I don't get it. You say this --

Ok so the other OS's have a lot of apps which people seem to be obsessed with but 90% of them are just junk
    -- and then you say this:

Battery life is a big thing for me aswell and none of the other devices can beat the BB for battery life

I highly agree though RIM has fallen terribly behind and need to catch up to the competition as for a lot of people they are too out of date
    What exactly is BlackBerry "out of date" on? Junk apps? Good. I hope it stays out of date. Never mind appeasing idiots.

These types of statements seem to be the "tech blog" party line, as has already been mentioned by someone else in another topic. RIM puts out a great device and OS, people acknowledge/admit it, and then tag on, "But RIM needs to catch up to Apple (or Android)."
    08-14-11 02:39 PM
    10% of 500,000 still leaves 50,000 apps that are not junk.

iPhone 4 has better battery life.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-14-11 02:40 PM
    I don't get it. You say this --

-- and then you say this:

What exactly is BlackBerry "out of date" on? Junk apps? Good. I hope it stays out of date. Never mind appeasing idiots.

These types of statements seem to be the "tech blog" party line, as has already been mentioned by someone else in another topic. RIM puts out a great device and OS, people acknowledge/admit it, and then tag on, "But RIM needs to catch up to Apple (or Android)."

To be honest I don't know why I wrote it as I personally don't think they need to catch up. As I cannot give you anything I think needs improving on

The apps are just as good sometimes better than any other device and to be honest you cannot beat RIM's design I have been and always will be a blackberry user

08-14-11 03:29 PM
    It's alright to say it: BlackBerry's the best!

08-14-11 03:37 PM
    10% of 500,000 still leaves 50,000 apps that are not junk.

iPhone 4 has better battery life.

Well from looking through the app store on my wifes iphone and the money she admits she has wasted on some of them most of them are junk. You must admit that being able to drink a virtual pint or pretend you xraying your hand Is just a complete waste of time and money. The iphone has a lot of novelty factor but that's it. (In My Opinion)

And you cannot honestly tell me you believe the iphone has a better battery life it does not even come close to that of the BB. If you have 1-2 email accounts using push, twitter, facebook and any other app that pulls data off of a server and anything else people use the phone for. And making calls sending texts add to that playing a few games through a lunch break the iPhone would be lucky to last a day (My wifes is proof of this). Where as my BB will easily last all day

Last edited by Jono212; 08-14-11 at 03:49 PM.
    08-14-11 03:42 PM
    Well, I hate to say it, Jono; but that stuff is on your wife's consciousness - not yours, nor ours. It's her choice to spend the kind of money she does on those apps. App Store, and the Market have their share of junk apps, but they also have their share of highly functional apps. App World isn't innocent of junk apps either.
    08-14-11 03:51 PM
    And you cannot honestly tell me you believe the iphone has a better battery life it does not even come close to that of the BB.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6566478

08-14-11 03:55 PM
    Well, I hate to say it, Jono; but that stuff is on your wife's consciousness - not yours, nor ours. It's her choice to spend the kind of money she does on those apps. App Store, and the Market have their share of junk apps, but they also have their share of highly functional apps. App World isn't innocent of junk apps either.

I completely agree with that I'm just sharing my opinion sorry if it came across wrongly. And yeah all platforms have rubbish apps I agree with that too

08-14-11 04:42 PM
    It might OP. But I have to say as a user of both platforms I just don't like Android and personally am not overwhelmed by their apps. In my life I know many Android users looking to jump ship actually. I think most will go to iphone but I know more unsatisfied android users than I do satisfied ones. I think iphone has the best thing going right now if you are willing to be assimilated.
    08-14-11 04:50 PM
    Can't lie, there are some apps android has that I kick and scream for blackberry to have :/, one is angry birds lmfaooo we have a knock off. Angry farm smh.

08-14-11 04:51 PM
    I think iphone has the best thing going right now if you are willing to be assimilated.
    So what? I guess you're some type of rebel because you choose Blackberry. See, it's the stupid arrogant statements like these that puzzle me the most. Blackberry arrogance, at this point in time, is completely unfounded.
    08-14-11 04:57 PM
    So what? I guess you're some type of rebel because you choose Blackberry. See, it's the stupid arrogant statements like these that puzzle me the most. Blackberry arrogance, at this point in time, is completely unfounded.
    Take it easy tough guy, I'm stating my opinion. I didn't build these platforms so I have no idea how I could be arrogant about one. I rarely suggest BB to many of the folks I know because I don't think it's a good fit for them. That being said I don't want to be tied down to an ecosystem the way I would be with Apple. That is what I meant when I said assimilation.
    howarmat and lssanjose like this.
    08-14-11 05:12 PM
    I read his original post, and it didn't come off as offensive. I know assimilation has become a buzz word because (in my mind) of the whole borg deal about assimilation. But, it's true: it takes getting used to a different platform. I think that's all D_March is saying.
    grover5 likes this.
    08-14-11 05:13 PM
    I read his original post, and it didn't come off as offensive. I know assimilation has become a buzz word because (in my mind) of the whole borg deal about assimilation. But, it's true: it takes getting used to a different platform. I think that's all D_March is saying.
    We actually just finished watching a borg episode of star trek last night and I have no doubt that is why I used that word. Anyway I didn't mean offense.
    08-14-11 05:28 PM
    Well I look at it this way:

If you can get a QNX phone that can run Android Apps, runs native apps written for QNX and whatever services that BB hosts via BIS/BES, your PIM data is kept away securely from the Android apps, and the phone costs about the same as a high end Android phone, then why go with Android over Blackberry if you are already on Blackberry?

We'll just have to see how the final app player works and what the phone version of TabletOS looks like.
    08-15-11 06:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD