So I got my phone a few weeks ago and have never had a phone like this before so I'm all about checkin my emails and buzzin around the internet without having to bust out my laptop or drag it to work with me.

I have been using cell phones for, oh I don't know, maybe 10 years and driving for 13 and never had an issue with one affecting the other...until my addiction began.

Driving down the road the other day I was checking something on my email when I failed to notice the car in front of me slamming on its breaks. I had enough time to swerve so that only the front side of my car hit the back corner of the other car (no one was hurt). Never been in an accident before.

So my nice shiny black Cadillac crumpled like paper and I'm driving a rental till it gets fixed but have no fear my phone was safely in my hand the entire time.

On a serious note, this did make me learn a lesson and I will be making a great effort to not looking at my phone while driving. Coulda been a much worse outcome. I'm going to rehab.
    06-08-08 04:23 PM
    You are lucky!
    06-08-08 04:25 PM
    Glad you're okay!
    06-08-08 04:27 PM
    Sorry about your car, but glad you and the other parties involved are ok.
    06-08-08 04:28 PM
    You are lucky!
    I bet the BB in your hand was saying, "Whew! she didnt drop me! I'm glad YOU are ok. Cars can be fixed and phones replaced.

On a serious note though- this is why laws are going into affect- people watching their cells instead of the road are the scariest individuals behind the wheel; right up their with the chick trying to put on her makeup at 65 mph.
    06-08-08 04:30 PM
    Glad you're ok.
    06-08-08 04:31 PM
    In NJ it is against the law to be using your cell phone, unless it is hands free, while driving. Most people ignore this, keeps me employed? I am a paramedic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 04:35 PM
    glad everyone is ok. i've been criminal of this action more than once and i have now put the phone down while driving (only using at red lights). its so dangerous to use a phone while driving and most people dont realize until something happens.

glad you and everyone else is ok. hope your caddy comes back shiny too
    06-08-08 04:39 PM
    I'm sure that could have been a lot of us. Glad everybody is ok.

06-08-08 04:40 PM
    That's scary! Glad to hear no one was hurt.
    06-08-08 06:43 PM
    Be wary of the addiction. It will overtake you and make you do things you never thought you could.

Seriously, glad you and everyone is OK.
    06-08-08 07:08 PM
    In some states, it's against the law to NOT be hands-free... I'm glad you or anyone else was not hurt!! Be careful
    06-08-08 07:09 PM
    Glad you're ok! I try to never email on the road. It only takes a split second!

06-08-08 07:44 PM
    Glad your okay! Just got my BB not to long ago either and luckily I don't drive lol.

Someone watching a phone instead of the road is almost as bad as drunk drivers sometimes.

Again, glad your okay!

06-08-08 07:51 PM
    Glad you are OK. I won't lecture you.

On a serious note though- this is why laws are going into affect- people watching their cells instead of the road are the scariest individuals behind the wheel; right up their with the chick trying to put on her makeup at 65 mph.
    Personally I have this conspiracy theory that our government doesn't care about our safety, but uses it as a convenient excuse to find ways to generate revenue.
    06-08-08 11:01 PM
    So I got my phone a few weeks ago and have never had a phone like this before so I'm all about checkin my emails and buzzin around the internet without having to bust out my laptop or drag it to work with me.

I have been using cell phones for, oh I don't know, maybe 10 years and driving for 13 and never had an issue with one affecting the other...until my addiction began.

Driving down the road the other day I was checking something on my email when I failed to notice the car in front of me slamming on its breaks. I had enough time to swerve so that only the front side of my car hit the back corner of the other car (no one was hurt). Never been in an accident before.

So my nice shiny black Cadillac crumpled like paper and I'm driving a rental till it gets fixed but have no fear my phone was safely in my hand the entire time.

On a serious note, this did make me learn a lesson and I will be making a great effort to not looking at my phone while driving. Coulda been a much worse outcome. I'm going to rehab.
    The main thing is you're okay
    06-08-08 11:08 PM
    Yeah, I'm glad you are okay. My new trick is to use one of those dash mount cell phone holders, which actually works good because during the day (when traffic is the worst) I can't see the screen bc of the glare and I can't hear it bc of my stereo. I can only see the screen at night or early in the morning.
    I don't know about you guys but every time I narrowly miss gettin hit by another car or something, the person is on their flippin cell phone, and w/ a bb the danger is double!
    Please be careful!

06-08-08 11:46 PM
    Personally I have this conspiracy theory that our government doesn't care about our safety, but uses it as a convenient excuse to find ways to generate revenue.
    Yup, the government using it as an excuse to gain revenue, I completely agree. EVERY time I see a cop they are ALWAYS on their cellphones and running red lights. Good thing that laws only work for civilians... Thankfully you're OK and no one else was hurt.
    06-09-08 12:07 AM
    First off, I hope youre okay! Second off, I dont mean to sound like a ****, but I hope it costs you enough money to teach you a lesson.

seems to me that a drunk driver is almost safer then a person drving while texting. At least the drunk driver watches the road... I mean by no way am I promoting drinking and driving!!!! but honestly... people need to stay off their phone while theyre driving!
    Last edited by Sensesfail99; 06-09-08 at 01:08 AM.
    06-09-08 01:05 AM
    As a firefighter, I have seen quite a few "cell phone accidents". But there was one almost identical to OP's that I still chuckle about. (Yes, we sometimes laugh about some of the nastiest things. We're not being insensitive. It's called gallows humor and it helps keep us sane.) Anyway, this lady was driving a mint older BMW and didn't notice traffic had stopped in front of her because she was answering an email on her BB. She looked up in time to swerve and miss the cars, but ran head on into the guard rail. When we pulled up to the scene, I went to her window and she was still sitting in the driver's seat, blood pouring down from a cut on her head, but was STILL answering email with her bloody BB in her hands! Now that's dedication....or addiction.
    06-09-08 08:30 AM
    i see people texting and talking on their phone all the time and although I"m guilty of it, I know many people are TERRIBLE at multi tasking. I've had the cr@p scared out of me a few times after looking up and seeing break lights. It's just not worth it I told myself...I got a bluetooth and that makes things easier for talking but I try NOT to txt when I'm driving unless at a stop light!
    Last edited by flchick75; 06-09-08 at 10:37 AM.
    06-09-08 10:34 AM
    I am guilty of driving under the influance of my SmartPhone. I know i should not do it and I never sit there reading the whole email from the office (prob because i do not care what half of them have to say) But again it is bad Now if i could only get my BB to read me the header info off of urgnet emails like my Dash did I would be set.

Ohhh and I am all for the new California Law requiring Bluetooth but the way it is worded it is only a distraction if the phone is to your ear. I guess some ppl can not touch type!
    06-09-08 11:05 AM
    Glad your okay!
    06-09-08 11:27 AM
    glad everyone is ok. i've been criminal of this action more than once and i have now put the phone down while driving (only using at red lights). its so dangerous to use a phone while driving and most people dont realize until something happens.

glad you and everyone else is ok. hope your caddy comes back shiny too
    There is going to be a new "no texting" law too which will prohibit use even at a red light atleast that is the talk here in NY.
    06-09-08 02:00 PM
    I got pulled over today for changing a song on my iPod. The cop questioned me to no end and kept on insisting that my iPod Touch was the iPhone. I showed him all the features and he was like "oh ok, I think my kid wants that" lol. He let me go and I was on my merry way. Hopefully they don't ban iPods too or I will be really pissed.
    06-09-08 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD