Researchers Hijack Cell Phone Data, GSM Locations | threatpost

"There is a problem we have to know about!" This link will let you know there is a Danger to 'All' GSM phones.

There 'needs to be a workaround done immediately!!!
    04-27-10 01:43 AM
    Interesting read.
    04-27-10 06:39 AM
    Gaining access to the HLR is not an easy feat. They make it sound like it's something anyone can do.

...any why "Danger to GSM"? CDMA also has a central registry and hence just as vounerable...
    04-27-10 08:58 AM
    I would be more worried about using a credit card or debit card than I would having your info stolen from a phone.
    04-27-10 10:20 AM
    Thought this is a danger since it may be another way our info can be stolen. Thx Radius but it's still another item we need to contend with.
    04-30-10 08:58 AM
    This is typical sloppy work by the carriers. Actually it's not as serious as the report linked in the op would lead the world to believe. First of all, unless you can speak and type in any language in the world, the attacks are going to be in English. Where I live there is no caller id with names attached, only the number comes through. Even if a normal criminal could see the number, and even if he could cross reference it to a name (I doubt it, think of how much memory would be required and how much skill to set up a single data base of all this crap that is at the moment distributed across every carrier in the world) he's not going to be able to do anything except in English. Too bad for you guys!

Anyway the bigger threat was announced months ago, GSM encryption is broken and the codebook is available online. That means anybody with the equipment can hear your conversations. So stealing your credit card or other private info just by eavesdropping is a more real and present danger than from the attack mentioned in this thread. And for those of you who live in places where wiretapping is illegal it's another avenue for the MIB since now they don't need to serve a warrant or pay 30 bucks to the telco, they just use the same vector the other criminals use.
    04-30-10 09:42 AM
    Yeah I heard about this on Security Now. Just don't talk about your banking over the phone.
    04-30-10 10:52 AM
    Thought this is a danger since it may be another way our info can be stolen. Thx Radius but it's still another item we need to contend with.
    No, it isn't. You need to think of the big picture here. Like credit card fraud your number is out there all over the world even if you don't know it. But it will probably never be used as each piece of information in itself is just background noise in the global static.

It's a non issue.
    04-30-10 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD