It looks like one of my contacts' contact list was hacked. I got an email telling me that I still hadn't responded to her friend request. She's not a close friend, so it was conceivable that I didn't act on her request immediately. So I opened the email on my Q10 and without thinking tapped the 'Accept Friend Request' button. This tap took me to a very sketchy website, and I realised I'd been had.

So aside from telling the spammers that my email address is real, have I put my contacts at risk of getting similar spam? My email and contacts are on Outlook.com, and I have just set up two-step verification (after responding to the spam email). Is BlackBerry's famed security going to protect my contacts, or has my gullibility rendered it useless?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 06:18 PM
    A bit over exaggerated for some email spam, don't you think? lol. Your gullibility isn't coming from BlackBerry security, it's coming from thinking spammers will all of a sudden have access to your contact list simply by clicking on some website link.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    02-22-14 06:22 PM
    Lol. Oddly enough I choose to open the sketchy emails on my phone versus my pc when I'm curious.
    02-22-14 06:25 PM
    Well - in that case, have I confirmed to the spammers that my email address is real? I haven't started receiving excessive amount of spam emails, so could it be that opening sketchy emails on my phone is safer than in a browser?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 06:39 PM
    Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. If you start getting junk/spam (which is inevitable with email) just delete it...
    02-22-14 06:53 PM
    A bit over exaggerated for some email spam, don't you think? lol. Your gullibility isn't coming from BlackBerry security, it's coming from thinking spammers will all of a sudden have access to your contact list simply by clicking on some website link.
    BlackBerryOS had phishing protection built in to the mail client - when you tapped a link, it would reveal the destination. I miss this feature

Damn! I clicked on a link in a spam email-s13_11_26__13_13_50.jpg
    kevets likes this.
    02-22-14 07:05 PM
    You should be concerned if you've logged in after having followed the link. In which case you would have handed your username and password over to the fraudulent site's creators.
    Other than that, your phone is somewhat less vulnerable to the sort of exploits (virus, keyloggers etc...) than a PC is.
    http://www.zdnet.com/facebook-create...ng-7000002468/

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-22-14 07:24 PM
    In your email program "ON LINE" go into settings and put the address in the "Blacklist" folder. That'll stop it from getting through. Also, depending on your carrier they may have a similar
    "Blacklist" set up. I know AT&T does.
    Also, if you have that email client set up on your computer.. do a Full Virus scan! If not, do it anyway!!
    02-22-14 11:36 PM
    OMG!!!!!!!!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    02-22-14 11:44 PM
    Lol. Oddly enough I choose to open the sketchy emails on my phone versus my pc when I'm curious.
    Yup, less vulnerable to exploits. Most spam assumes you're using a computer running Windows.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    02-23-14 02:10 AM
    BlackBerryOS had phishing protection built in to the mail client - when you tapped a link, it would reveal the destination. I miss this feature
    In a way you still can, - long press on a link in email, then chose to Share - and select email - then the full link should reveal itself
    02-23-14 07:01 AM
    I usually make sure I mark them as spam so they DON'T get into my inbox.

...Then I click any link using tor browser, but if it confirms a newsletter (I did by mistake LOL!), you'll get HUNDREDS of confirmations, just ignore them if they require you to confirm the subscription, this way it gets dismissed/deleted. Any that auto-confim, UNSUBSCRIBE ASAP! Social engineering is a big issue I'm telling ya.

And no, they cannot confirm it's real from a phishing link, or bogus link.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-23-14 07:57 AM