View Poll Results: Why type of subscription plan would you like?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monthly Rate

0 0%
  • Yearly Rate

0 0%
  • Multi-year Rate

0 0%
  • Permanent On Time Payment

2 100.00%
    The purpose of this thread is to generate some discussion about the Custom PIN subscription rate and create a social campaign to encourage BlackBerry to evaluate the cost structure.

With a Custom PIN subscription you can make a PIN that’s easy for you and your friends to remember and/or says something special about you. Custom PINs have to follow certain guidelines. They must be 6-8 characters long, and can include numbers and letters only. Special characters cannot be used and PINs are not case sensitive. A Custom PIN subscription is $1.99 USD per month.

BBM users with any active subscription get another little bonus – a badge on their avatar to show off their premium status. Take a look at my profile picture in the screenshots below to see it in action.
    ~ BlackBerry Blogs

Currently you can only subscribe on a monthly basis for a Custom PIN. This equates to almost $24 USD annually to keep your Custom PIN.
    For comparison:

The best comparison is the domain registration, since a Custom PIN is like a domain for your BBM. This would mean that getting a custom website domain is cheaper than getting a Custom PIN. And the prices above do not include long term purchases or other discounts. Paying $2 USD a month for a Custom PIN without any other options is unacceptable.

Now, I understand that BlackBerry has to offset their software revenue with new revenue streams and I don't expect them to give away customizations for free. I know that I would provide in app purchases from customizations if I had an app that could use them. (ex. The Run In Crowd) However, for a Custom PIN, I would like for that to go with me from phone to phone and possibly be permanent fixture that couldn't be swiped up if I couldn't pay the monthly fee for some reason.

After a short discussion with some other BlackBerry fans, we came up with this solution:
    $50 USD one time payment for a Permanent Custom PIN
    $15 USD for each device switch

Obviously, others might have ideas about how to handle the subscription. For example, $12 USD per pre-paid year for the Custom PIN in order to provide a discount for those paying in advance.
    Even at the current rate the $50 USD one time payment would cover 2 1/2 years of currently monthly subscriptions, which is a life time in the mobile world.

The second part of this post is to create a social campaign. Which means, if you are on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest or whatever social contact that BlackBerry reads, then I want you to share your Tweets and posts so that others can reTweet and post. Nothing gets a company's attention more than seeing their name all over the place on the same subject.

Thanks for your input and help.

03-05-15 09:13 AM
    I must not be in the target audience, because even if a custom PIN was free, I have no idea why I'd want one. Aren't PINs usually shared by QR code? Who's ever going to see your PIN?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:31 AM
    I must not be in the target audience, because even if a custom PIN was free, I have no idea why I'd want one. Aren't PINs usually shared by QR code? Who's ever going to see your PIN?

Posted via CB10
    Well, I guess there would be two sets of people.

1. App Developers ~ those who want to brand their PIN and allow customers to send messages to that PIN who haven't downloaded the game. Basically, a Marketing method for outside of the game.
    2. Vanity - those who want to put their PIN on their business card and provide something more than a random bit of numbers. Same as a domain name. Instead of giving someone 192.123.456.789, you get www.mywebsite.com

I would assume that long term, their will be Custom Channel Names as well for the same purpose.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    03-05-15 09:39 AM
    I would only pay for a pin if was obliged to do it to keep my BBM working but only if it was a one time payment. A monthly subscription? Definitely no!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:45 AM
    I would only pay for a pin if was obliged to do it to keep my BBM working but only if it was a one time payment. A monthly subscription? Definitely no!

Posted via CB10
    Don't give them any ideas. LOL!
    03-05-15 09:48 AM
    Some people will love it, unfortunately some won't. I will be interested to see the revenue of this though

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:33 PM
    Honestly I don't get it either, plus I don't give my pin to anybody. That being said, I got one haha

Beproud
    03-06-15 01:41 AM
    $2 a year is my offer.

Other than that they can keep their custom pins.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 01:47 AM
    I find it a bit much as well.. $2 equals 1,79.. but I got one anyways.. just for the fun of it, unnecessary but it looks nice.

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Passport 
    03-06-15 02:07 AM
    Some people will love it, unfortunately some won't. I will be interested to see the revenue of this though

Posted via CB10
    Will be interesting. I have 3 contacts with it already. And apparently there are 2 people who responded to this thread that didn't see the point or didn't like the price, but got it anyway. And with that message stuck in BBM, it might drive a bunch of similar type people to purchase it.
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    03-06-15 09:26 AM