I've been following the Phonebloks phone story for a while now. Why doesn't Blackberry start something similar?
    Simply, people go to a website, customise their specs, pick a pre-designed shape(or customise one and wait for approval), pick a colour, and place the order. Can you imagine the number of custom-made Blackberries that will circulate around the Internet? ( ebay, kijiji, Amazon..etc).
    Wouldn't something like that increase awareness towards the brand? Thoughts?

- link to Phonebloks concept.
    Last edited by BBrickk; 03-10-14 at 05:44 PM. Reason: It's original name is Phonebloks. Also added link to concept on youtube
    03-10-14 12:09 AM
    I just did a quick Google search. What custom ordering are you speaking of? I can only image what I one off, custom design would cost.
    03-10-14 12:37 AM
    I just did a quick Google search. What custom ordering are you speaking of? I can only image what I one off, custom design would cost.
    I'm speaking of the idea of custom ordering Blackberry devices, just like Block Phone
    03-10-14 12:48 AM
    Yes! Can you link a custom order page for the black phone?
    03-10-14 12:55 AM
    Basically OP is saying blackberry do like dell. Have pre selected form factors and the buyer picks what goes inside and blackberry built to order.

Posted via CB10
    BBrickk likes this.
    03-10-14 02:07 AM
    Yes! Can you link a custom order page for the black phone?
    He's talking about the concept "block phone" not the blackphone.

Block phone was a concept where the consumer can pick and choose components and design their own phone.

Posted via CB10
    BBrickk likes this.
    03-10-14 02:27 AM
    The block-phone was a CONCEPT, and at this time, an unfeasible concept. It just isn't practical. Might it be in 5 or 10 years? Perhaps, but definitely not this year or next year.
    03-10-14 03:25 AM
    Basically OP is saying blackberry do like dell. Have pre selected form factors and the buyer picks what goes inside and blackberry built to order.

Posted via CB10
    Dell originally offered 100% custom-designed computers but eventually shifted to a few configurations instead of full customisation. I expect this happened due in part to reduce expenses for Dell. Then again Dell Computers used to offer innovative designs too.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    03-10-14 05:03 AM
    Exactly!
    Concept is still there. Bought my Motorola, bought by Google. So im not sure if it's still active.
    03-10-14 05:46 PM
    I love the concept.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-10-14 06:31 PM
    An interesting concept, but I can't see how it would he practical from a production standpoint, or OS development.
    03-11-14 07:37 AM
    It's in development by Google as project ara, I think is the name, expected first hardware by 2015 with a target price of $50

Edit: here's the first demo video (nun functioning hardware)

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 07:55 AM
    Yeah I'm on their developer list.

http://www.projectara.com/#project-ara

Which is a fancy way of saying o get to pay twice as much for alpha hardware once it is ready lol and then I need to build my own modules.

There are two general concerns. The blades come apart easily (imagine dropping your phone and having to pickup 12 modules). And the individual modules are too small for a lot of modern electronics.

I don't see this device getting traction or making a healthy profit. But it is new.

Posted via CB from my LE
    FSeverino likes this.
    03-11-14 08:02 AM
    Precisely! It's an interesting concept, but I don't see this as reality anywhere near future.

Then again, I've been wishing for expandable RAM forever.........

*starts project "Bob the Cellphone Builder"*

serbanescu likes this.
    03-11-14 08:47 AM
    I wonder if, with the advent of 3D printing for the masses, we will see some adventurous people building their own phone housings? That might be a way to eliminate costs for companies, where you can download designs, print them out, and buy their hardware kits to install at home?
    03-11-14 08:57 AM
    What you would end up with would be slightly-ill fitting creaky hardware that would not be able to handle the stress of being in your jeans pockets. Remember Palm Pilots and Treos? Most of their problems came from hardware issues of batteries not fitting right, battery doors creaking, shells coming apart, displays bubbling up, slots jamming, headphone jacks coming loose, etc. Imaging upping the ante on even more connections and moving parts. It would be a joke.
    serbanescu likes this.
    03-11-14 09:13 AM
    03-11-14 09:21 AM
    Yeah I'm on their developer list.

http://www.projectara.com/#project-ara

Which is a fancy way of saying o get to pay twice as much for alpha hardware once it is ready lol and then I need to build my own modules.

There are two general concerns. The blades come apart easily (imagine dropping your phone and having to pickup 12 modules). And the individual modules are too small for a lot of modern electronics.

I don't see this device getting traction or making a healthy profit. But it is new.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Can't you put a case on it so if you drop it the pieces just disconnect a bit, but don't actually scatter?

It seems like if that is the major problem they are actually doing well

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 04:20 PM
    Can't you put a case on it so if you drop it the pieces just disconnect a bit, but don't actually scatter?

It seems like if that is the major problem they are actually doing well

Posted via CB10
    They aren't doing anything. It's just a bunch of plastic boxes right now. But next few months should tell us more.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-11-14 08:04 PM
    They aren't doing anything. It's just a bunch of plastic boxes right now. But next few months should tell us more.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Oh, your wording (or my reading) made it seem a bit more hashed out.

I love the concept, hopefully it works

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 08:36 PM
    Oh, your wording (or my reading) made it seem a bit more hashed out.

I love the concept, hopefully it works

Posted via CB10
    It has great potential for sure!

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-12-14 07:26 AM
    How about if blackberry made the current devices more custom-friendly? Or make a phone that is naturally customizable?
    Name it C series. One with full touch, one with full belt, and one with keyboard only.
    03-12-14 01:05 PM